Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,296,674 times

Advertisements

Great thread. Some may enjoy perusing a recent thread on hallucinogenic drugs over in Philosophy: https://www.city-data.com/forum/philo...you-think.html

How about strong sativa + 2 mgs Etizolam + 90 mgs Dextromethorphan? Now that's the ticket. Euphoric, energizing, useful, both introspective and social, and relatively safe.

Between the two, say, moderate drinking vs. moderate smoking (vs. dabbing, ingesting, hashing, etc.) of a not-too-strong, middle of the road cannabis, I would say the initial assessment is accurate, if simplistic.

I don't find alcohol very useful. Over here I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I find alcohol to be kind of a nasty drug with a crummy body load, no real introspective value, deleterious side effects, and a safety profile that's not that great. There are better drugs than alcohol that could permeate every inch of culture, but this is what we're stuck with.
On the other hand, focused meditation after a significant amount of cannabis, with the attendant free-forming ideations and flights of fancy, can be oustanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Similar to those who can dance SO WELL after a few beers.
And play the guitar and sing!! Gaaaa!

How about this song----------> Um, ( clearing throat) ... You light up my life you give me hope to car-rrr-y on ah you give me hope to go on------nnnnn!

too funny. ( song is by Debbie Boone btw- you light up my life)

Old 06-27-2014, 10:11 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Great thread. Some may enjoy perusing a recent thread on hallucinogenic drugs over in Philosophy: https://www.city-data.com/forum/philo...you-think.html

How about strong sativa + 2 mgs Etizolam + 90 mgs Dextromethorphan? Now that's the ticket. Euphoric, energizing, useful, both introspective and social, and relatively safe.

Between the two, say, moderate drinking vs. moderate smoking (vs. dabbing, ingesting, hashing, etc.) of a not-too-strong, middle of the road cannabis, I would say the initial assessment is accurate, if simplistic.

I don't find alcohol very useful. Over here I said:

On the other hand, focused meditation after a significant amount of cannabis, with the attendant free-forming ideations and flights of fancy, can be oustanding.
No, not everyone drinks and smokes pot with medication. I don't take either but occasionally I will have a beer just for the taste of something different, not for the alcohol. I am on fetzima, I think ( this time). My mental stability means more to me than just one night of intoxication because that is very short lived and it's all fuzzy and foggy.

Fuzzy and Foggy are just brain reactors that are misfiring and don't really mean anything. It's just empty. So, one will have a few crazy dreams that are magnified with nothingness, which are fuzzy and foggy. Fuzzy and Foggy are not hard to identify because they are usually both voids that are trying to make something that is not there.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-27-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,642,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Absolutely alcohol is worse. I speak as someone who's worked in health care for 18 years. Alcohol causes liver damage and severe damage to the brain (it's so common in older drinkers (50+) is has a name, "Alcohol-Induced Dementia). It can cause Diabetes as well. There are no known permanent adverse effects from pot for adults (which, when we speak about legalization, adults are all we are talking about) and many possible benefits. yes, you can get lung damage if you smoke, but many people are using vaporizers now, which produce no smoke and have no adverse effects on the lungs.
It always worries me when anyone is the health care field states something like this. No wonder our heath care sucks.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,115,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
What do you think?
In my youth, I experimented with marijuana. All it did to me was make me anxious, paranoid, introverted and apathetic; not a pleasurable experience at all. After I was able to get into bars, I quit using it altogether. It really was a crappy buzz, IMHO. I saw far more "burnouts" sitting in stoner circles rapping nonsense about the wonders of mary jane far more often than I saw raving drunks extolling the benefits of alcohol. Both are equally destructive if you make them the focal point of your life experience, IMHO. The worst have to be these clowns who act as if marijuana is some wonder drug that will cure any ailment including cancer just so they can have an excuse for their wake 'n' bake lifestyle. It really is quite pathetic. At least the functioning alcoholics try to keep their problem private.

BTW: If you are sitting in a stoner circle and can't figure out who the burnout is, it's you.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:37 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,642,975 times
DrugFacts: Marijuana | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

Alcohol's Effects on the Body | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

They do differ, but also share similarities. People should use common sense with both, it is no consolation that both tend to dull ones common sense.

I think Yoga and healthy foods should be choice number 3. If we are comparing what can make you more productive and self aware that is.

Seems like this thread is just someone trying to justify smoking pot over drinking. That is your first sign of addiction, please be careful.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,646,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
The part about being in a mental fog from overuse is definitely true. I was headed down this path for a while until I seriously cut back. Now I don't smoke more than two bowls in a single day, and I never do dabs of hash oil except on weekends. I feel much better now. I can get high more and feel normal the rest of the time, which ends up making the whole smoking experience better, generally.
Yeah you can be functional smoking only a couple small bowls a day, but that still is a long way from stone cold sobriety. Especially when you meditate every time you get the urge to smoke, which is what I've been working on doing.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,296,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
All it did to me was make me anxious, paranoid, introverted and apathetic; not a pleasurable experience at all.
Introspective - yes. The idea that cannabis is necessarily a "party drug" or social drug is potentially flawed. Introspection can be part of the deal and in my opinion is part of the benefit.

Quote:
It really was a crappy buzz, IMHO.
You might be doing it wrong. No, I take that back. I can't say what goes for some should go for all. To each their own. We all have individual biochemistry as well as mental makeup. But, to me, alcohol is the very definition of a "crappy buzz." Hardly useful. Hardly revealing. Too much body load, numbness with no commensurate benefit, etc. Pretty much worthless.

Quote:
Both are equally destructive if you make them the focal point of your life experience...
Well yah. Similar sentences can be said about a great many activities, substances, etc.

Quote:
At least the functioning alcoholics try to keep their problem private.
Um, I guess. Actually I'm not actually sure what you're talking about here.

Quote:
BTW: If you are sitting in a stoner circle and can't figure out who the burnout is, it's you.
I have no idea what a "stoner circle" is. I suspect, though, that there's some stereotyping and some misconceptions at work here. My personal feeling on the matter is cannabis should be used sparingly and meaningfully. Once a month, in a carefully planned setting, with a goal in mind. Take a lot of it, at the time, but infrequently.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,056,279 times
Quote:
My personal feeling on the matter is cannabis should be used sparingly and meaningfully. Once a month, in a carefully planned setting, with a goal in mind.
No fault in that logic.

Something that has just occured to me - I used to stay with this person who had these friends .... Well, they would get together and smoke weed and get really ... um ... intellectually stimulated and have these great debates, about which they were so exuberant. But to me, they were talking total bullsh1t! Being drunk is no different either, except maybe they get duller and more clumsy rather than more exuberant and just plain silly or dopey. Mostly just dopey. And I have never seen someone high on weed getting aggressive and violent. I can't say the same for alcohol.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 AM

51,310 posts, read 36,950,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It always worries me when anyone is the health care field states something like this. No wonder our heath care sucks.
Care to expand a bit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology