Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 8,851 times

Advertisements

Music sounded better when I smoked compared to drank. MJ helped me handle Multiple Sclerosis and I plan to move back to CA for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,929,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
My son would be unhappy, anxious and basically depressed. He would take a little cannabis and become alive, bright and witty and chatty. Pretty much like someone taking amphetamine medication. It appeared that the cannabis was substituting for some chemical deficiency in his brain. Dopamine I would think. If I remember correctly, cannabinoids attach to dopamine receptors which would 'raise the level of conciousness'. But usually people who take cannabis become 'dopy' and less alert, pretty much like alcohol but to a greater degree. So I would say generally no, cannabis does not raise the level of conciousness. The more cannabis one smokes the duller one gets.
You have one flaw in your receptors. Science has shown the body has cannabinoid receptors all over and the most sensitive are in the brain.
I think the more medicated one becomes - on pot - the more relaxed they are. Take a handful of Vicoden and function versus a few bong hits. Bong hits win.

Cannabinoid Receptors

Old 06-12-2014, 03:00 PM

635 posts, read 789,834 times
Drugs or booze. Each person's reaction to it is different. Some people handle it better than others also.
I have found pot smokers to be more pleasant to be around. Each person has their own little world in their head.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:07 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,887,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Edit: The full title/question is supposed to be: Is it accurate to say a marijuana high makes you "more conscious", while being drunk on alcohol makes you "less conscious"?
I would absolutely agree but that level of consciousness is not always a good thing. If you're up in the mountains camping or hiking or at the beach then that level of consciousness can be good thing. If you're at work or even at the grocery store it can be a bad thing because that level of consciousness means that you're taking everything in which can be very distracting. I am most sharp and concentrate best when I'm sober, no music or tv is on and no one is talking to me.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,272,978 times
depends how much you smoke but generally, id say "yes".

Alcohol is one of the most destructive drugs in the world.

Nicotine another.

Cigarettes are actually the "gateway" drug not pot.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:38 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,402,561 times
I blend indica, sativa in a vape then drink a few glasses of wine and it makes me completely straight.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,419,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Marijuana makes smokers think they are brilliant and artistic, but all it really does is making them dopey and slow (and less interesting). Perception and reality are different. But that is what drugs do, they alter your perception of reality.
yup. Remember George Carlin talking about a stoner who is throwing up? "I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY SHOES....BLAAAAAHHHH" It makes you not care. But yep, you think you're all that.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,871,319 times
They both make you stupid. How about that?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,152,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
They both make you stupid. How about that?
How about no?

Old 06-12-2014, 11:03 PM

11,148 posts, read 6,073,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Marijuana makes smokers think they are brilliant and artistic, but all it really does is making them dopey and slow (and less interesting). Perception and reality are different. But that is what drugs do, they alter your perception of reality.
But that's the puzzling thing. My son Denver dramatically livened up. He became sharp and alive - like becoming his 'normal' lively self. But then he was mentally ill depression and anxiety) although once he had taken marijuana you would never think so. Even with alcohol use, he never appeared drunk. I would only know because he told me. Makes me wonder what was going on in his brain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology