Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Krentz, such a thing could happen and maybe did happen, but people do die because of all kinds of errors and evil from other people. Some people die because of a doctor or nurses error, a med error, carrying infections around, a poor defense from a lawyer, or a lying prosecutor, maybe an engineers error and a piece of equipment fails and someone dies, or just a careless driver or equipment operator. Maybe just a drunk driver or some woman texting on her phone. So your point is? Whether its a gun or a automobile, the person is still dead. Again this has nothing to do with the OP's original claim that police officers are extremely violent people and beat their spouses much more often than the general population.
No one accidentally draws a gun and empties a magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM

18,028 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Perhaps you could brush up on your communication skills.
Communication skills?

Orly?

I was quoting you so factor that in to your logic and line of reasoning.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
No one accidentally draws a gun and empties a magazine.
Are you talking about suicide by cop? Those idiots who point bb guns at cops or wield a machete at cops and don't expect to miss dinner with the family that evening? I thought we were talking about wife-beaters at one point... anywho

Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
In the 1970's there is a local popular singer who starred in several episodes of the original Hawaii Five O who was then married to a cop who beat her up on a regular basis. It was a well known fact among most residents of Honolulu.

I worked at a job in the early 1990's with a co-worker who's father was a retired Sergent from the Honolulu Police Force who said the much higher percentages of domestic violence among policeman against their spouses is because they're used to having control out there on the streets, the problem becomes when they try to exert the same control at home.

The last example was when I was visiting a friend that I had become estranged from because of his drug habit of crack cocaine. He'd shared a dirty needle to shoot it up with a taxi driver and got hepatitis C and was dying of liver cancer. So when I found out that he was dying, I spent some time with him just to show him that although I disagreed with his drug habit, I appreciated when he was there for me in the past.

Anyway, on one of my last visits to him before he died, I met a group a women who were all married to local policemen. One of them explained to me that they sold leftover pain killer pills to my dying friend because a friend of theirs is married to an abusive cop, and their friend needs most of those pills because of all the pain she suffers from after getting beaten up.

In conclusion this lady said, there's a brotherhood among cops and they protect their own. So collectively they were enabling that abusive cop to get away with it.
What a sad life, must be lonely to live a life where your real life is a secret

Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I don't know that and I know a lot of cops some of which r women
Is this another cop hate thread
am I late
There r some people who disapprove of physical violence, welcome to civilization! Especially a situation where a person who is bigger using their power to harm a more vulnerable person, such as someone who is smaller, younger etc....its not a matter of hating cops,its a MATTER OF EXPECTING THEM TO ADHERE TO A STANDARD OF BEHAVIOR THAT DIESNT INCLUDE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF A MORE VULNERABLE PERSON LIKE THEIR WIFE....

Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Except when dealing with imperfect people in any other walk of life, when they shoot you 40+ times for being armed with a wallet they go to jail, not a paid vacation.
Or desk duty....ahhh, what a just punishment for murder....filing papers and eating donuts til they end up looking liKe a donut, all round and chubby

Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I agree. But it might stem from the lack of quality candidates for the job (which doesn't pay all that much). so they accept candidates who might not strictly pass psych-evals... The military has a bunch of that going on right now, too. Or it may be inadequate training. Consider the suicides of our military members. Tragic yes, preventable? Maybe if the people with the eggshell psyches weren't accepted in the first place? Not sure.
agreed there is a certain amount of looking the other way, and waving on in those who have no business wielding that tyoe of position....there are personality issues that make some unqualified to tote a gun and have that amount of power, they cannot handle it

Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
There r some people who disapprove of physical violence, welcome to ...
Strawman argument. You still haven't proved that cops abuse their power. You own that false assumption, not us.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
Cops are better trained and I think a bit more progressive now so I suggest that the old cops are wife beaters saw may be a little out of date. It wasn't so long ago that wife beating wasn't considered very serious by anyone.

I would also remind that bad people, including pedophiles, wife beaters, kid beaters, cheaters are in every profession, socio economic group including the clergy. I'm always amazed by the conversations at work when it comes out that someone has been having issues of one kind or another - very white collar, conservative blah blah blah - why the surprise? Humans suck at all levels.

However I think its common sense that the more stress a person is under the more the person is likely to lash out or self-medicate. How much stress a policeman or soldier is under can be linked to the duty, how well run and funded, how much support etc. there is. Cops and soldiers have more support and resources than they used to although there are still some problems with a perceived stigma. More psychological testing before you can even become a cop than the old days. A cop who is a known wife beater in the past would be ignored, not so much now. It would, at the very least, be an indicator that the cop had other issues, issues that could be a problem on the job, which could become a lawsuit. Another new thing that has changed what is acceptable behavior. Police depts get sued all the time now. A policeman with a known issue would be a liability.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Strawman argument. You still haven't proved that cops abuse their power. You own that false assumption, not us.
Us? Speak for yourself...the documented facts are there, others here even referenced police department programs implemented FOR THE HIGH INCIDENCE OF DV...Your denial only hurts those in le whose lives are affected, and the children of le...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology