Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,874,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
This^^^ and add my two cents. They tend toward being rigid linear thinkers. Law Enforcement is closest civilian occupation to military life. It is dominated by a tribal feeling of "brotherhood" and 'US versus Them' mindset.

Now add the convolution of last 40-50 years of increasing Political Correctness, and more focus on criminals rights versus victims rights, and you have a recipe for disaster as now more than ever police are being made to function as 'social workers'. Putting a militaristic structured brotherhood mindset into being a social worker is a bad mix as well as, in general, they are not the highest intelligence. How many of the top students go into police type LE? And become lifers? Most of the smart ones go to either pursue a LE political admin career, or spend a few years in LE, and try for another agency of higher regard (FBI, etc...).

OK, so now let's take this linear thinking mindset, with a tendency toward over compensating, (hero seekers), into the domestic realm and ask yourself, what happens when the predominant part of your occupational day you are consumed with the dredges of society, or being a glorified revenue collector, and now more than ever you can not 'rectify' problems / issues since more often than not the worst criminals are entrenched, and the legal system is more often than not a theater of the absurd which criminals via their lawyers manipulate.

It is no wonder they have higher rates of abuse as that is the one outlet (spouse) they can control the easiest. See, now, if they do something in the line of work they go through a massive anal exam through legal affairs, but at home it is much like the guy who comes home and kicks the dog as displaced aggression.

It's a high stress job done mostly by those of average intelligence who likely have cognitive dissonance due to PC, despondency over the cr** they see on regular basis which they cannot rectify, and in turn, they go off on the domestic household front.
I have to agree with the social work vs militaristic training, but you have to have a degree to be a police officer today. Yes I've seen some police officers that I wonder how they ever slipped through the cracks, but for the most part the officers I've interacted with have been very intelligent and very street smart. If I had a choice of being street smart and book smart, I'd pick street smart any day. That's an education no book can teach you. I'm wondering if demographics doesn't have a lot to do with the abuse issue? If you're arrested for domestic abuse in our neck of the woods you can lose your job. John has had many college kids ride along with him that are determined to be police officers. Sometimes it's just a calling. Back in the old school day when my Great Grandfather was the stereotypical Irish hit them first ask questions later I would have to agree that the average or below average intelligence factor would apply. Today you are on probation for a year and a half and can easily be fired. Yes there will always be people cunning enough to slip through the cracks, but it's becoming harder to get into law enforcement. I was very impressed with the new hires on John's department, especially with the education level. My father was an alcoholic, womanizing wife beater and he wasn't a police officer. My mother was an uneducated alcoholic stay at home mother. I used to feel sorry for her until she started beating me during her alcoholic rages. Some people just deserve each other. There is no reason for any woman to stay in an abusive relationship with all the help available out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,247,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
you have to have a degree to be a police officer today.
False. Quite untrue. This is not a requirement in every jurisdiction. Mind you, there are over 17,000 accredited police departments in the United States. Yes, 17,000.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:57 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,447,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
A cop makes $40,000.00 to $68,000.00 per year.
Police Officer Salary | Indeed.com

Average is $28K.

Interesting the amount of defensiveness about this topic.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Average is $28K.

To which extent? Do you mean pro-cop? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 PM

18,120 posts, read 27,639,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Average is $28K.

I saw that figure. It's meaningless (complete bunk to be exact! Police officers make 26k average? Bull! Entry level dispatchers start at about 30k). Find out how much a police officer is making in your most local municipality. In mine, it's 40k to 68k and Pueblo Colorado is certainly not known for being high compared to the state average, a state where salaries ranks pretty low.

So, the police represents your community. If it's true these police officers are this or that, what are you doing to support/challenge them? If police officers are such malcontent psychopaths, why are they hooking up at all?

Since when did it not take two to tango?

Since when have MY problems NOT been of MY own making?

Are we victims in this?

Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,169,730 times
Regarding the social work aspect, this can be a catch 22 but shouldnt be....not ALL their work is related to criminal activity...they are called public servants for a reason, peeps. Just like firemen dont just put out fires, the scope of a les job is not JUST about criminals. In the course of a shift, they commonly come in contact with ( some generic examples), the manager of a store calls because a woman is sitting in an aisle talking to herself, no it has nothing to do with a crime having been committed, lets say it doesnt matter which, she has alzheimers or schizophrenia, the point is she is not a criminal, she is ill. Police NEED to have alot of awareness and ability to handle these type of calls, yet many of them dont have much social intelligence so they lack the ability to switch hats for a bit and understand they are now in a setting that has nothing to do with enforcing the law, they are now needed to help the woman. I think in some officers its a case of not being real ibtelligent and lacking social intelligence

Old 08-17-2013, 12:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,169,730 times
Quote:
I saw that figure. It's meaningless (complete bunk to be exact! Police officers make 26k average? Bull! Entry level dispatchers start at about 30k). Find out how much a police officer is making in your most local municipality. In mine, it's 40k to 68k and Pueblo Colorado is certainly not known for being high compared to the state average, a state where salaries ranks pretty low.

So, the police represents your community. If it's true these police officers are this or that, what are you doing to support/challenge them? If police officers are such malcontent psychopaths, why are they hooking up at all?

Are we victims in this?
Take a breath and calm down and try to re write it so we can understand what you are trying to say.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
If police officers are such malcontent psychopaths, why are they hooking up at all?

Are we victims in this?
So let's get this straight.... Are you actually suggesting that abused spouses are in some way responsible for the abuse wrought on them by spousal-abusing cops?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:28 PM

18,120 posts, read 27,639,668 times
Nope!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
A cop makes $40,000.00 to $68,000.00 per year.

Yeah how? By hiring a dick to watch him?
Inane.

One doesn't need a detective to be diligent to see whether a family member exhibits signs of abuse by a cop-spouse:
  • Seem afraid or anxious to please the cop-spouse
  • Go along with everything their cop-spouse says and does
  • Check in often with the cop-spouse to report where they are and what they’re doing
  • Receive frequent, harassing phone calls from the cop-spouse
  • Talk about their cop-spouse's temper, jealousy, or possessiveness
  • Have frequent injuries, with the excuse of “accidents”
  • Frequently miss work, school, or social occasions without explanation
  • Dress in clothing designed to hide bruises or scars (long sleeves in summer, sunglasses indoors)
  • Be restricted from seeing family and friends by the cop-spouse
  • Rarely go out in public without the cop-spouse
  • Have limited access to money, credit cards, or the car
  • The cop-spouse controls all finances
  • Have very low self-esteem, even if they used to be confident
  • Show major personality changes (e.g. an outgoing person becomes withdrawn)
  • Be depressed and/or anxious in the presence of the cop-spouse
  • Suicidal thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology