Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,322 times

Advertisements

Most people know this as a matter of course. They have about twice the rate of it but when you factor in the fact there are more wives of cops who are afraid to speak up and the known difficulty in safely leaving, the rate has gotta be even alot higher than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:01 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Most people know this as a matter of course. They have about twice the rate of it but when you factor in the fact there are more wives of cops who are afraid to speak up and the known difficulty in safely leaving, the rate has gotta be even alot higher than that.
Good question though I wish you would have at least posted some supporting evidence, even this is better than nothing:

Police domestic violence nearly twice average rate - SFGate

Like you wrote
"One of the hallmarks of a good cop is to radiate authority and control, and in the wrong hands, those characteristics can be misused, domestic violence counselors say.When that misuse happens, it's hard to report it because the victim has to go up against a man - and it is almost always a man - and his agency, both seen by society as paragons of protection."

from the above publication.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:22 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,658,778 times
I ve never heard this, the few cops I know personally are all good spouses and parents.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:54 PM

Yes its pretty much commonly known. As if to further confirm it, a few yrs back my sister invited all her friends to a baby shower. It was on a Sunday afternoon from 1-4, . One of her friends is married to a police officer. Well she was at tye shower only about an hour and a half, wheb he started calling her to complain how long it was taking, he was the only SO to have issues with being ok with his wife being at an event without him. His problem? The 39 something yrbold man said he was hungry, wanted her to " get her ass back home and get dinner ready". My first time i met him was in the 4th of July at a bbq, he kept whining at her to " get him a plate of food" , and to " stop blabbing with the women and sit next to him instead'. Im sure there are of course a few good ones but geeze

Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 PM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I ve never heard this, the few cops I know personally are all good spouses and parents.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Yes its pretty much commonly known.
Nope. I don't buy it. Prove it. Sources and specifics. Peer backed studies.

I could go into my opinion and try to explain why it might seem that way, but it means nothing.

But if I were to at least try and explain why the trend may seem that way, I'd begin with this;

I only know of a few cops and they aren't all men for one thing. But in any of those cases, I know of no domestic abuse. They have enough problems just getting through a rough economy and tough times, but seem to thrive in the chaos and they love what they do.

How about this idea? Some cops are stressed out from work and maybe some seek solice in alcoholic beverages, eventually leading to some form of domestic abuse... in a few rare cases perhaps. Then, them being cops, are well scrutinized and watched like hawks by the media and such. Maybe many more construction workers and real estate agents beat their wives, but it gets reported less.

That's what I think.

Quote:
As if to further confirm it, a few yrs back my sister invited all her friends to a baby shower. It was on a Sunday afternoon from 1-4, . One of her friends is married to a police officer. Well she was at tye shower only about an hour and a half, wheb he started calling her to complain how long it was taking, he was the only SO to have issues with being ok with his wife being at an event without him. His problem? The 39 something yrbold man said he was hungry, wanted her to " get her ass back home and get dinner ready". My first time i met him was in the 4th of July at a bbq, he kept whining at her to " get him a plate of food" , and to " stop blabbing with the women and sit next to him instead'. Im sure there are of course a few good ones but geeze
Oh well jeepers! I wish I'd have read this first. I must retract my statements above as this is iron-clad evidence of your premise!

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-15-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 01:49 PM

390 posts, read 941,625 times
Police officers have a sense of entitlement. They're treated better than the general population and generally looked up to. They feel as though they can get away with more, and often do.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM

To the few who claim this is all new to them, it is common knowledge and ive heard it referenced by people from different stripes and colors...my mom is a Republican, upper socioec. class, went to UCLA, etc, caucasian and shes aware of it. I am not the one who created the situation so to the few who lashed out at me, pls dont shoot the messenger? Research out there plenty to back it up, i cant hold your hand to do that, just do a basic search if you are one of the few people who have never known this.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
I lean toward two different types of abusive cops. There are the ones who like having power, and it doesn't matter who. Then there are the ones who are so affected by the stress of their jobs that it starts to spill over into their lives. These people also tend to struggle with substance addiction.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
probably because of the stigma they would have to deal with at the station if they took a male partner, that only leaves wives and girlfriends for them to go home and beat up on.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,442 times
[quote=McGowdog;30977014]
Nope. I don't buy it. Prove it. Sources and specifics. Peer backed studies.
/QUOTE]

You didn't read the entire thread did you? You know, the one that had a link to the article that sited the stats? Yes, it is all just a conspiracy to defame cops. Keep your head buried were it is, I'm sure it suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology