Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:01 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,550,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Are you serious? Brady won 3 superbowls with David Patten, Troy Brown, David Givens etc etc etc. Hell he was in the AFC Championship with Reche Caldwell as his #1 WR. His record setting season may have had to do with Moss, but the 3 superbowls were all won with no namers that he made better. What happened to Branch, Patten and Givens when the left NE?
OK, OK, OK. Manning, Brady and McNabb.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
There is something else to consider here-contrition.

I'm hoping that Roger Goodell thinks this thing through a bit. It would be logical to for the NFL PR people to try to rebuild his reputation a tad. It might be well and good that Mike Vick shows complete remorse, stating he is genuinely sorry for his actions. But trying to get him back in to the NFL this year would be a mistake.

As he has served his time, he is still under house arrest. There are only specific places he can go to. And trying to reconstruct his personna is going to get in the way. Just my 2 cents worth here, not worth a lot either, but I have a feeling the NFL is going to try to steamroll Vick through the public relations get well again process. You have a couple months to training camp, and schmoozing this through the talk show circuit in this short a time is not going to make some advocacy groups happy.

Groups such as PETA. And as experienced as Mike Vick is with attack dogs, he has already seen this group at work when he first gotten into this mess to start with. They are attack dogs as well. And I imagine the Atlanta Falcons still have fond memories about them picketing training camp a couple years ago. Whoever gives Vick a try, well, they better get ready for them. And there are other advocacy groups besides PETA that want to express their first amendment rights, and they will. These groups are well funded and they will travel to raise hell, they're quite good at THAT. And I've seen them in action, as I'm sure some of the posters on this thread have.

Will his skills have eroded after being away for two years? Nope. Is he worth it? Not sure.
Well said. Whoever signs Vick will have to endure some protesting. But I'm gonna guess that any public relations professional worth his or her salt would rather have PETA protesting them, than the NAACP or other civil rights groups. Unfortunately, there are racial undertones in existence here (Vick doesn't just happen to be Black, he's a Black man from "the 'hood", with a 'hood mentality, who somehow managed to be given the keys to the executive wash room of sports: the NFL quarterback position). As such, the NFL would probably much rather take heat from the animal rights lobby, rather than risk alienating 60% of the NFL personnel.

That said, I agree that going slow is a good thing; not only for Vick but for whoever signs him. He's been out of football for two seasons. Nothing wrong with taking at least one season to (a) phase him back into the QB position; and (b) allow him to adjust to the boos, hisses, and hater-ade that's sure to come his way. This will hopefully build character, maturity, and a graciousness that he probably never knew.

If he can manage to do that, not only will I buy a Mike Vick jersey, I'll let my kids wear them too.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
A chained dog cannot defend itself from a viscious killer!
Nor can a petite blonde.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM

8,988 posts, read 17,327,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Sorry, but his talent is not worth anything. He is unworthy of ever holding any job, (Maybe scooping dog poop from the streets.) especially football! What a disgrace to our country if this man is hired back by the NFL!
Where is the punishment here? A couple of months in jail and a slap on the wrist and back to making millions? I do not think so! We have dogs that were horrendously tortured and died a terrible, suffering death, is that forgotten about already? I am sorry but this man truly is not sorry for what he did. He is all about making millions again, and he will do anything to get it back! Good, kind hearted people do not torture and kill animals, especially chained, defenseless dogs! This was a huge sin he commited! Thou shalt not kill!
So, you are saying all convicted felons should not be allowed to work after their release from prison?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,210,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Any player convicted of a felony should not be allowed to return to the NFL. Period. If this was the rule across the board, we would not need to have this discussion.

But the NFL is above all a business. Goodell has to weigh the earning potential of the felon against public outcry. Sorry, but you won't get as much public outcry against felony car theft.

Why shouldnt someone be allowed to return to the NFL? Why should their livelihood be completely destroyed by crimes unrelated to the game?

This is exactly why there is such a high rearrest rate in the US. Felons get back in to the population, and they find that theyve never truely paid for their crime. They are driven back in to crime because its nearly impossible for them to get a normal life.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:17 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,210,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

if a teacher was involved in dog fighting that teacher wouldn't teach anymore - regardless of how good their students performed

And I completely disagree with this.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
if a teacher was involved in dog fighting that teacher wouldn't teach anymore - regardless of how good their students performed
And if a stripper was involved in dog fighting, nobody would care.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,389,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
And if a stripper was involved in dog fighting, nobody would care.
I would care. Animal abused is WRONG!!! Vick should be never play pro ball again!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,389,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Why shouldnt someone be allowed to return to the NFL? Why should their livelihood be completely destroyed by crimes unrelated to the game?

This is exactly why there is such a high rearrest rate in the US. Felons get back in to the population, and they find that theyve never truely paid for their crime. They are driven back in to crime because its nearly impossible for them to get a normal life.
Maybe he could clean the locker room.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,674,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Your a hypocrit. If you want to quote the bible try this one > Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

Good kind hearted people learn to forgive. Like God did for everyone of us.
Good, kind hearted people will never forget how he tortured and murdered those poor defenseless dogs. They suffered a horrible death! Thous shalt not kill! Sorry, I cannot speak for everyone else but I cannot forgive a killer like Vick! It is in his bad blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football