Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 8,748 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are moving to Portland in Spring 2009. This site seems like a really great resource for information, so I thought I'd make a post on here and ask a couple of questions.

We are both in our very early twenties and are looking to move away from our very conservative home states. We were originally planning to move to Boston (where I have been living for the past year up until this summer) but the prices were outrageous, and Portland is much more affordable.

What are the areas to stay away from? Our price range for a rental house is about $700 to $950 for a two bedroom. I'm not necessarily looking to live in a super posh area or anything, but I don't want to be in the crime ridden areas of town. I'd also like to be close to public transportation as well, since we do not plan to have a car.

I am going up to Portland in a little less than a month to check out the neighborhoods and everything...does anyone have any advice on places to go or things to look at? I'm not really into being super touristy; I just want to figure out where the best places to live are. I'm staying with some friends who live up there, so I am sure they will be able to offer up some good advice as well.

Also, how is the job market in Portland? I was planning to just move there, work, and eventually go back to school so I'd probably just be working in food service or doing something clerical. I work at a health food store right now, so I figure I can do something like that in Portland since there are tons of health food stores there (Wild Oats, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.)

Anyways, thanks ahead of time for all the help. Everyone on this site seems really knowledgeable and willing to give advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,070,670 times
Unemployment is up all over, it' about 6% from what I have read in the Oregonian. I wouldn't really suggest moving anywhere till it calms down a bit.

Otherwise the burbs (Beaverton) are cheap, so are some the places out east...but it's not as nice as the the west. Don't think you'll really find much in Portland itself for less then $900.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,748 times
Yeah, I don't really mind being right outside of Portland if I can get a cheaper place. I guess my only concern would be public transportation...does it run regularly in the outer areas or would it be worth it to spend a little more money on rent so that it will be easier to get around?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:00 AM

199 posts, read 801,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss bliss View Post
Yeah, I don't really mind being right outside of Portland if I can get a cheaper place. I guess my only concern would be public transportation...does it run regularly in the outer areas or would it be worth it to spend a little more money on rent so that it will be easier to get around?
i wouldn't really count on public transit in the suburbs. It's worth it to pay the extra rent money to live closer in, where you have more options (for jobs, shopping, entertainment, etc). I've never looked for 2br's so I'm no expert here but while 700$ might be a stretch, 950$ for something closer in on the east side might be doable. Maybe a little more, but not too much The n-s avenues are numbered as they radiate eastward from downtown; the higher the number the further out the area. Try to stay within 50th ave or so. Avoid most of the areas around 82nd avenue (area near mt tabor is ok but you still have to deal with some sketchiness). Some would say NE is sketchy but you might check around alberta. Anywhere south of this area and not too far east is worth looking into.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM

20 posts, read 51,810 times
Hey, I live in SE PDX near Division and 82nd and I love it! :-)

To the original poster: When you come, check out SE Portland, between Division and Holgate, from 50th out to 92nd, that's a big area and yeah, there are some dodgy areas but for the money you can find a nice place with easy public transit (bus) into downtown. I've lived in this area for the last 8 years and it's still one of my favorite places: It's one of the most diverse areas (culturally) of Portland, with many Asian and Russian/Eastern European immigrants, plus many good parks (Mt. Tabor, Mt. Scott) and you're still close to town (twenty minutes by bus).

But don't take my word for it, just get on the #4 bus and take it towards Gresham, up Division, and look out the windows as you go, get off when you see something interesting.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Not sure if it's by division, but 82nd was featured in today's Oregonian for all the prostitution that goes on around it.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Not sure if it's by division, but 82nd was featured in today's Oregonian for all the prostitution that goes on around it.
Well of course the Oregonian is gonna feature prostitution on 82nd, that's what sells papers!

I've read the article and, while I certainly don't disagree that there are areas of PDX with higher number of prostitutes than other areas, the reporting is pretty much par for the Oregonian: Sensationalistic, simplistic, and inadequate.

For starters, is the implication that along the entire length of 82nd avenue one is likely to encounter prostitutes? Does anybody know how long 82nd avenue actually is?

82nd avenue runs pretty much from the Columbia river to Clackamas, a little over 10 miles. A ten mile stretch of hookers is pretty darned impressive!

Sigh.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Like I know!

Colfax in Denver isn't called "Hooker Ave." for nothing, and it's longer then 10 miles. They are the rugged types there too, I have seen them sunshine and snow. Could add in Federal for the subprime ones.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM

199 posts, read 801,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
82nd avenue runs pretty much from the Columbia river to Clackamas, a little over 10 miles. A ten mile stretch of hookers is pretty darned impressive!

Sigh.
the paper specifically mentioned Montavilla, which is fairly close to Division St. I've heard the intersection at Sandy Blvd is a problem area as well, and near the Max stop. Basically, the areas convenient to public transportation are also trouble spots for prostitution. Much of the "10 miles" you describe is either near the airport (with no residential areas) or way down in suburban strip mall central. It's really more like a 3 or 4 mile stretch of hookers. ;p

Granted I'm sure you are right that the papers + media sensationalize things, but lets be realistic. 82nd Ave is very "rough around the edges" and certain personalities wouldn't feel safe there. On the other hand it's no ghetto (which really don't exist in pdx anyway). There's definitely some nice things about certain areas by 82nd. Stark St for example, is a neat little business strip with the bipartisan cafe, the farmers market, academy theater and Mt Tabor looming in the background. Still, I think the OP should consider the area a last resort unless she has thick skin for sketchiness.

lol re: Colfax avenue in Denver. When I passed through on my drive across the country, that was the street I picked out to drive down and look for a motel. It was a fascinating tour and I took it all the way out to aurora past i-225, but I took a pass on the motels.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymalaia View Post
Granted I'm sure you are right that the papers + media sensationalize things, but lets be realistic. 82nd Ave is very "rough around the edges" and certain personalities wouldn't feel safe there. On the other hand it's no ghetto (which really don't exist in pdx anyway).
Fair enough, but to be more on point to the OP's question, there are still a lot of areas in SE that may very easily fit into both her lifestyle and budget. Leave out 82nd .... heck, leave out 80th to 90th entirely ... and you've still got a lot of area to cover.

For the record, I live off 72nd and Division -- I've been there for 8 years and my wife and I do not encounter large numbers of whores, pimps, and addicts. Or even small numbers. A few weirdos on bicycles and a couple of skateboarders down the street who play loud music on the weekends, but that's about it.

It's all about perspective, and somebody coming from out of town really needs to take a look for themselves before believing anything one reads in the papers or on these forums. Including me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland