Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 AM

20 posts, read 51,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymalaia View Post
There's definitely some nice things about certain areas by 82nd. Stark St for example, is a neat little business strip with the bipartisan cafe, the farmers market, academy theater and Mt Tabor looming in the background. Still, I think the OP should consider the area a last resort unless she has thick skin for sketchiness.
??? Living near the Academy Theater is a "sketchy" neighborhood??? What port of PDX do you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 02:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,494,155 times
I used to take my kitties to a veternarian in the Montavilla area where the Academy theater is. The little strip it occupies has been turned into a pretty nice looking place with everything being refurished. It used to look like the aftermath of a bombing with empty storefronts in disrepair and some sleazy looking businesses.

Regarding the area around 82 and Division, I lived there for awhile in the late 70's. There were some ex-cons and drug dealers in my building but I didn't feel particularly threatened by them. There was a theater, k-Mart and Alberston's in the area but they are long gone. It was very convenient for one who doesn't own a car. I don't know how the area has changed but I think the newest campus of PCC might be giving it a boost.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 PM

199 posts, read 801,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
??? Living near the Academy Theater is a "sketchy" neighborhood??? What port of PDX do you live in?
well it's right off 82nd, near (or in) montavilla, a prostitution hot spot, but clearly you are the expert here so I better not say anything else. Sorry I bothered to say anything really as you've made it clear I don't know what I'm talking about...

Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
well it's right off 82nd, near (or in) montavilla, a prostitution hot spot, but clearly you are the expert here so I better not say anything else. Sorry I bothered to say anything really as you've made it clear I don't know what I'm talking about...
Oh, yeah, I apologize, I really hurt your feelings. Lighten up, hymalaia, all I did is ask if you actually live around the area.

Are these problems you actually encounter every day? Somebody earlier wrote about how 82nd just got written up in the Oregonian for prostitution, which I certainly know does happen -- but you might also check out the front page of the Portland Tribune this week about how having a movie theater in your neighborhood can make property values climb 29%.

Now, I'll take that with a grain of salt, too, but the wife and I just went to see "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" at the Academy Theater this Friday, and afterwards (say 11pm), we decided to go for a walk in the neighborhood ... y'know, after reading all the stuff in the paper earlier in the week ...

Now, I ain't saying our one experience says it all, but we had a really nice evening, met a bunch of people with dogs, some guy singing a karaoke cover of "Walking In Memphis" at a local bar, and frankly if I could afford to live in the area, I would.

Anyway, if you live in Montavilla and find it sketchy, I'm sorry. If you don't but just believe what you read in the papers, go look for yourself. That's all I'm saying, and it goes for everybody.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM

i was in a lousy mood when i wrote that. I'm not trying to rag on the Montavilla area, it's got plenty of things going for it. I'm thinking from an outsiders perspective, they might not know 82nd has got a "reputation" and would only see the negatives of living there being that it's further out from downtown, and thus maybe less convenient for public transit. But it is a different atmosphere than some of the closer in neighborhoods. I'm not saying one can't live a safe, fulfilling existence there, just that there is a reason (aside from distance) that it's cheaper. It's got a "trashy strip mall" vibe that one generally doesn't associate with Portland. On the other hand it has it's unique charms that don't exist in the more yuppified inner neighborhoods. Perhaps "high tolerance to sketchiness" is over the top, but if you can afford the inner areas I think it's worth it to pay more. Maybe others would feel differently, though I bet most would prefer to be closer in for a myriad of reasons.

btw I live near Burnside + E28th, but I come from Massachsetts originally so I know what a "real" ghetto looks like. Relative to that, Montavilla is nothing. Relative to the rest of pdx (aside from some of NE), it's merely sketchier and in the case of the inner areas, less gentrified. That was really my main point.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
btw I live near Burnside + E28th, but I come from Massachsetts originally so I know what a "real" ghetto looks like. Relative to that, Montavilla is nothing. Relative to the rest of pdx (aside from some of NE), it's merely sketchier and in the case of the inner areas, less gentrified. That was really my main point.
Hey, I really appreciate your additional comments, I'm genuinely interested in learning more about our various neighborhoods and perspectives. Thanks for sharing.

And as for catching you in a lousy mood ... I just spent the better part of the day watching my investments go down the toilet, so I know the feeling!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
Hey, I really appreciate your additional comments, I'm genuinely interested in learning more about our various neighborhoods and perspectives. Thanks for sharing.

And as for catching you in a lousy mood ... I just spent the better part of the day watching my investments go down the toilet, so I know the feeling!
unfortunately after these last couple of weeks it seems that "bad moods" are going to become more and more prevalent everywhere...

Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,517 times
I too am an early 20s (turn 22 in 2 weeks) and am planning to move to Portland right after the new year. My girlfriend will be coming out in May to attend the Western Culinary Institute, which is the reason for the move. I graduate from Purdue in December and then am heading out to get a job and set up shop for when she graduates. Is there anything that I should know specifically when heading out there? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 14,242 times
I REALLY would like to move to Portland after an amazing 4-5 days i had out there in late June.... BUT...

What about the rest of the year and the rain. How many days go without seeing the sun at least once? I dont want to be gloomed out and depressed...

Also what do people do when its raining, i mean can you still be outdoors and enjoy them? cause i heard its only a light mist at times and not actual rain.

Any info on that would be great. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,057,106 times
lol.....
well MattyG100%, it depends on who you ask....
Personally, there have been very few days in my entire life where its been so rainy I havent been able to go outside at all. Majority of the time, unless you have a phobia about moisture, youre going to be able to go outside. Or if you have a hairstyle/clothes that will be immediatly destroyed w/any moisture. You'll get a huge variety of actual rainfall in the winter here. Days where it goes between misty, then sunbreaks, then a shower, back to a sunbreak. A day where all morning its raining to beat Noah, then turns to intermittent showers. A clear day where everyone is out and about, then drizzly the next day. a few days in a row of overcast, where its always threatening to rain, but doesnt, then you wake up and the sun is shining. Next day, you'll get snowflurries. MOST, not all, but most people still go out and about each and everyday regardless of weather. Very rarely is it bad enough to keep all indoors. Then theres always the diehards where theyre out and about even when the wind is gusting and the rain is coming down sideways for the entire day. Im not quite that hardy where I want to be out in it by choice, but thats me. (and many others lol)
Forest Park is a delight on those misty days, you can feel like you are lost out in the middle of nowhere with no urge to return....
Hiking along the gorge is beautiful with raindrops falling from the leaves all around...
lots of paved paths you wont get muddy on all around...
And theres not much better than a walk in the fog w/a mug of warm cider waiting for you at home.
A lot of living here, is what you make of it.
Besides, any idea how terrific all the moisture is for your skin?!?! YYEEEEAAHHH!!!
go to the search up at the top and put in RAIN...theres a couple threads w/a lot of opinions you might find helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland