Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

How predictable is the weather in Portland? Here in Indiana you can't really believe what the weather people say because, well, it's Indiana. It can be 80 one day and 40 the next. It would be nice to live in a place where you can have at least a clue of what it will be like the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 13,893 times
i just moved here from boston less than a month ago and Im on the NE side by the Rose Garden. Its safe, right next to the MAX Light trans and the rent is 850 for a 1 bedroom in a pretty nice place

Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM

199 posts, read 800,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyatomic View Post
How predictable is the weather in Portland? Here in Indiana you can't really believe what the weather people say because, well, it's Indiana. It can be 80 one day and 40 the next. It would be nice to live in a place where you can have at least a clue of what it will be like the next day.
late to answer but it's an interesting question. I've only been here one year, but as far as I can tell, large daily temperature fluctuations are rare compared to what I remember from back east. Peak summer temps are roughly 75-85, which steadily drops down to about 30-40 by the dead of winter (January), then slowly starts to rise again. A good part of the year (fall and spring) seems spent in the very nice 50-60 degree zone. Occasionally you will get triple digit temps, or below freezing temps, but no more than a few of each, per year. Some winter days can get pretty chilly cause of the Gorge winds, but that same wind seems to moderate hot summer days.

What's less predictable than temps is cloud movement. You often can't know when you will be rained on, or have the sun shining on you. It's often different in different parts of the city. This can be a pain, but most people just get used to drizzle (downpours are not the norm, but they do happen).

hth, someone plz correct if it sounds wrong.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 AM

121 posts, read 374,903 times
the rain here is different than other parts of the country. it's a thick, misty rain that pretty much goes on non-stop from october through may. it'll break up and stop for a couple days then rain again for 3 solid weeks before it breaks up again.

look on weather .com and check out the average rainfall for portland throughout the year by month.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Oh, sheesh. Not that again. "Non-stop from october through may" ... "three solid weeks" .... ? Simply not true.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Oh, sheesh. Not that again. "Non-stop from october through may" ... "three solid weeks" .... ? Simply not true.
what? you can't be serious? it's actually longer than that.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,443 times
Quote:
It sure is true!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
I hate to confuse the this wonderful fantasy world with facts, but ... in a 50 year span (between the years 1949 - 1999) there were only NINE times ever that there was measurable rain (more than .01) every day for three solid weeks. And the most it rained in any of those periods was 10.78 inches. That's at most half-an-inch a day. Not exactly torrential, NON-STOP rainfall. For comparison, one week last year of rain characterized as "non-stop," in Texas, produced 18 inches (in the midst of a 45-day streak of rain).

And for another comparison, as of today, Portland's annual rainfall is 25.61 and Miami's is 52.77 ... and no one says "don't move to Miami because of the rain." If you all want to say don't move to Portland because of the clouds, feel free. But quit the nonsense about the non-stop rain. Please.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
Quote:
If you all want to say don't move to Portland because of the clouds, feel free. But quit the nonsense about the non-stop rain. Please.
I wish it would rain more, it's fun to watch from my office.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I hate to confuse the this wonderful fantasy world with facts, but ... in a 50 year span (between the years 1949 - 1999) there were only NINE times ever that there was measurable rain (more than .01) every day for three solid weeks. And the most it rained in any of those periods was 10.78 inches. That's at most half-an-inch a day. Not exactly torrential, NON-STOP rainfall. For comparison, one week last year of rain characterized as "non-stop," in Texas, produced 18 inches (in the midst of a 45-day streak of rain).

And for another comparison, as of today, Portland's annual rainfall is 25.61 and Miami's is 52.77 ... and no one says "don't move to Miami because of the rain." If you all want to say don't move to Portland because of the clouds, feel free. But quit the nonsense about the non-stop rain. Please.

thats funny,
torrential rain? no. annoying grey, misty rain? oh yes! maybe not enough to be an actual measurable amount but enough to make the streets wet all the time. and as far as I'm concerned, the streets are wet and the air is heavy, wet, and cool, then thats enough for me to consider it "rainy" all the time and yes that is non-stop. cloudy, wet, and cool all winter.

but don't listen to me, and don't listen to enricov, just come out and visit for yourself and see if it's too wet for you or not. it is to wet for me and it isn't for other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland