Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM

15 posts, read 18,504 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of research on Portland lately as I have just received a job offer. I was wondering if I could get some advice from anyone willing to give it.

Currently it seems that I'll be working in SE Portland at the VA Office by homestead. I'd like to live as close to my job as possible while still living in an area taht offers entertainment (bars, gym, good, stores) close by. I'll be making somewehre between 38-42J a year and I'm 24. I've lived all overt eh world and dont see the culture or lifestyle of Portland being a shock.

Doing some Google searches I found a place by the name of "River Place Square Apartments". I was wondering if anyone had any info on them? Ideally I would like 2 bed 1 bath by the river, but I'm flexible if I get a great location. I think a rent no more then $1000 would be doable for me, is this a fair assessment? I read in another thread that Water+sewage+other utilities can run high.

Can someone give me any help. Again I have look back 3 pages in this forum and read many post but I was hoping someone nice could help me out with my specific situation.

Thank you

Last edited by bamaCali; 07-24-2013 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: fixed my last post sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM

10,997 posts, read 20,683,463 times
The Riverplace neighborhood is a great fit for you. I don't see resounding thumb's-up on those apartments however. Be sure to ask if a parking spot is included in the rent. Usually water and sewer is included with Portland rentals.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The Riverplace neighborhood is a great fit for you. I don't see resounding thumb's-up on those apartments however. Be sure to ask if a parking spot is included in the rent. Usually water and sewer is included with Portland rentals.
Good. Ive looked at he website and it says that they arent open yet. all it says is summer of 2013. so im not sure what there price point will be, and i assumed because they will be new that they would be nice.
i will check with the apartment about the parking spot. I am hoping to get around mostly by walking riding my bike and the public transportation.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,207,957 times
I don't know the price of those apartments specifically, but I cannot imagine that you could get any one of those elements in a $1000 apartment. Not a river view, much less ON the river. Not a 2-bedroom in downtown. And most certainly not both together.

I do think that you can find an apartment in that range downtown that would suit you fine, but I just cannot imagine that it's at River Place.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM

73 posts, read 184,376 times
According to their website, the Riverplace Square apartments are luxury apartments, with 2-bedrooms in the $2150-2200 a month range. Studios are listed at $1199.

How far out in SE will your office be? If it's in a close-in SE neighborhood, biking would be really reasonable from the Riverplace neighborhood. But if it's far out, some combination of max and bus will probably be necessary.

Last edited by carpenterant; 07-24-2013 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenterant View Post
According to their website, the Riverplace Square apartments are luxury apartments, with 2-bedrooms in the $2150-2200 a month range. Studios are listed at $1199.

How far out in SE will your office be? If it's in a close-in SE neighborhood, biking would be really reasonable from the Riverplace neighborhood. But if it's far out, some combination of max and bus will probably be necessary.
looks to be about a mile from the river, its the VA Medical Center. i dont really want a studio and both place look to be over my price point. do you have an suggestion of where i could look?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I don't know the price of those apartments specifically, but I cannot imagine that you could get any one of those elements in a $1000 apartment. Not a river view, much less ON the river. Not a 2-bedroom in downtown. And most certainly not both together.

I do think that you can find an apartment in that range downtown that would suit you fine, but I just cannot imagine that it's at River Place.
Like i said the river would be nice. but its not something i need. same with the 2br. I looked a little more and it seems if im DT i can take public transport and bike/walk and make it to work quickly. You wouldnt happen to know of any places DT that i should be looking at?

Thank again for everyone who is helping. I've lived alot of places but never in an actual big city. so i really want to make the right choice so that i experience it all.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,654,981 times
Living ON the river is expensive and almost all the construction is newer (therefore pricey). There are some apartments in Sellwood on the river in SE, otherwise everything on the west side is likely out of your budget. Most people don't live by the river, they just walk to it. There's not a lot of housing on the river either.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 PM

10,997 posts, read 20,683,463 times
The East Portland VA Clinic (CBOC) is at 10535 NE Glisan Street (Gateway Medical Bldg., 2nd Floor) Portland, OR 97220. That is a long way from the VA facility on the hill. To work at the first you will need a car (the bus I don't see as a viable option), if you work on the hill you don't want to use a car (take the tram from the South Waterfront).

There is an apartment in Goose Hollow (SW Park) that would work for you, DON'T rent east of the south park blocks, the Westover Tower would be a great choice - not far from NW 23rd, the apartment at 8th & Weidler is across the street from a reasonably priced fitness center. NE Broadway around 21st has coffee shops and the like so the apartment building near that might be worth considering. At your price point one bedrooms with parking are all in older buildings.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The East Portland VA Clinic (CBOC) is at 10535 NE Glisan Street (Gateway Medical Bldg., 2nd Floor) Portland, OR 97220. That is a long way from the VA facility on the hill. To work at the first you will need a car (the bus I don't see as a viable option), if you work on the hill you don't want to use a car (take the tram from the South Waterfront).

There is an apartment in Goose Hollow (SW Park) that would work for you, DON'T rent east of the south park blocks, the Westover Tower would be a great choice - not far from NW 23rd, the apartment at 8th & Weidler is across the street from a reasonably priced fitness center. NE Broadway around 21st has coffee shops and the like so the apartment building near that might be worth considering. At your price point one bedrooms with parking are all in older buildings.
3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Rd
Portland, OR

This is the address, so from that i gather it will be up on the hill. Westover Tower looks pretty good. I just read some reviews. I know im asking alot but does anyone know anything about Commodore, Gentry, louisa, or Harrison Tower? None have W/D in the apartment. Is it rare to find W/D inside your apartment in portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: