Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 AM

32 posts, read 66,472 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm 22 and am graduating in a few weeks in business. I'm from Australia, and have lived here since I was born, but because I am graduating, I basically get a no-questions-asked 1 year working visa.

My last trip to the States was from November till February, so I have been there before, but never to the North West. In fact, the only places I've been to on the west coast has been LA, SD and Vegas.

I'd love to move to NYC because it is NYC, but the astronomical rent there is stopping me from doing so. So I've narrowed it down, and Portland is one of my first choices.

What is Portland like to live for a younger person? I've played sports most of my life, and professionally for about 3 years. So I'm hoping there is a lot of sporting activities there! Another reason I picked Portland out of the places in the Pacific NW (mainly over Seattle) is because of the Trailblazers. What other professional sporting teams are present in the city? Is there any college/high school teams that are big?

On that note, what are the colleges like? I'm only asking because they'd be close to my age, and I know they're still in the partying phase (which I'm still stuck in )

What areas would I be looking at to stay in? I'd like somewhere right in the heart of everything, because I won't be buying a vehicle. I'd like to be able to walk everywhere. I'd love to bring my longboard, but all the talk of rain, it probably won't get used too often! In the heart I mean I can walk a few blocks and be at a grocery store, bar, restaurant/cafe and public transport.
What price range am I looking at in each area? I'd like to get my own 1 bedroom place. Hoping to make my place a nice social spot for the people I meet!

Erm, I'm sure I have lots of other questions, but they're not coming to me at the moment.

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 AM

10 posts, read 22,022 times
Anywhere in downtown proper, near Portland State University would be a great place to start.
Hopefully other posters can be more helpful with rent costs in the downtown area because I don't know. You could always look at Craigslist to see what current rental rates are.
Downtown has plenty of nightlife, college age people, couple grocery stores and both Trimet (bus) & Max(light rail) service.
You will have to look to Seattle for professional baseball but Portland has hockey (Winterhawks) and the Trailblazers , as you already mentioned.
Others will have to chime in about high school/college sports because I've been out of the loop for awhile.
Good luck to you!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:36 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,125,446 times
If you really want to move to NYC, there are options. You can live outside of Manhattan in a more reasonable cost of living area and commute. Public transportation extends a long way outside of the city.

Before you move - to either Portland or NYC - visit first. Neither city is going to match everyone's expectations.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have been scouring Craigslist nearly everyday for a few weeks, to see what pops up. But even when I look at the, I'm not even sure what areas I should be looking at.

I have been to NYC, and spent a few weeks there the last time I ventured over. I'm still researching everything, so we'll see what happens!

I've just been drawn to Portland because of all the good things I hear, and the fantastic landscape the city was built on!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,837 times
It's been many years since I could in good conscience call myself a "younger person," but my stepsons (20 and 24) love it here. There are plenty of things for young folks to do. We have a great indie music scene, if you're into that. Portland is much slower-paced than NYC, but day-to-day living is less stressful for most people, not to mention less expensive.

Bring your longboard! Skateboarding is popular here, and the weather isn't nearly as bad as our reputation would suggest. Yes, there are many wet, gray, cloudy days, but the rain usually falls sporadically or as a mist. There are few days of long, steady downpours, so on rainy days, you don't even need to open your umbrella most of the time -- you just pull it out when a big, drippy cloud passes overhead, and put it away when the cloud has passed. (There's a saying here: "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.") People here are very outdoorsy, and the rain doesn't keep us indoors except on the worst days.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks Honu man. I should realize that longboarding is popular in the mountain areas!

I will continue to look into Portland. The biggest factor for me with Portland would be finding a job. As the company that does our visas doesn't have any connections in Portland, plus I keep hearing of the higher than average unemployment rate there!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:22 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,488,534 times
Say Mate,

I understand down-under, there be lots and lots of sunshine. T'aint so in Portland. Overcast and gray for days and days during the winter months. Check a map, look how close to Arctic Circle we are. Like the British Ile, we are somewhat warmed by the Ocean. But if you're a rugby player, you can deal with it. Hell, from what I know of Aussie Football (Footy?), you ain't going to be no whinner.

Have you tried to contact anyone here:
Portland Pigs Rugby Club
Maybe a rugby player can give you more specific advise.

Portland Footy club:
Portland Power Australian Rules Football Club

Portland Cricket Club:
Multnomah Cricket Club - A home for good cricket in Oregon
go to members page and look up the Aussies. I think the Aussies may be under-represented and looking for players.

I am just asking, do you have Madison, Wisconsin on your list? University of Wisconsin is the big deal there. A bit cold in Winter, but you should also ask around on that forum. Not all that far from Chicago, a bit North-West of Chicago. Once Madison had a very good Rugby team that played other Major University Cities in Upper Mid-West. As I recall, due to injuries and lack of protective gear, NOT an approved College sport, but a college sport club. Many years ago, Aussies and NZ folks had a really cool bar of their own with Foster's on tap; bar located East of State Capitol by about a mile or two. As I recall, the Aussies had the one back room with the foosball table and the kiwis held court with the pool table room.

Phil

Old 10-26-2009, 02:33 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,557,076 times
Well, it's interesting that you put the same post in 4 categories: General US, Pittsburgh, Austin & Portland.

Is your move contingent on having a job?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:03 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,113,963 times
There's a pretty decent amateur sports scene here, too. As in, you can join various leagues and play against other folks. Soccer (football), softball, etc. The level of competition varies a lot, from hard-core to just out to have fun.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:30 PM

I can't remember the last time we've had no sun for a day. We are based very close to the equator, so lots and lots of sun. But if I do move, I wouldn't mind experiencing something different, so Portland and not much sun, lots of rain doesn't really phase me. Sounds like a great experience!
Haha, there's AFL there! Perfect, I'd definitely join if I did move to Portland.

sarahkate, I've posted pretty much the same question in each of those areas because they're the places I'm interested in. I don't see myself getting much information on other cities if I only posted in one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland