Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,073 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old, single college graduate with a few years of work experience behind me. I've been out of work for almost a year due to a family issue but that's irrelevant...I'm thinking of moving to Portland because there is nothing keeping me here (I currently reside in New York) and I would love to take a risk and move my life to the west coast. I have enough savings to last me several months while I find a job (hopefully a career), I have a car, and I'm pretty independent so I really have no fear when it comes to moving across the country alone.

I would love to get some input on how I should go about the process of moving. Should I try to land a job before I move? Will people be hesitant to rent to someone who doesn't have a job at the current moment in Portland (even though I have sufficient savings for rent)? How do I find roommates (that are semi-normal, lol). Is it easy to find retail/service jobs in Portland (while I look for something more substantial)?

Thank you ahead of time to anyone who helps me out with advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,367,528 times
All your questions, and more, will be answered if you just take some time to read through the many threads in this forum. It is chock full of pretty much anything you want to know about Portland.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,608,681 times
It is not easy to find a job in Portland. My advise to you is to find a job in your current community with an employer who has a presence in Portland. Work there for 6+ months and transfer. That can work at Starbucks, Trader Joe's, even perhaps Costco. Of those Costco pays the best, Starbucks has lots of locations, Trader Joe's employees are always upbeat. Take your pick.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 PM

541 posts, read 1,734,781 times
I would get a job first. Never more someplace until you have a job secured. Instead of moving to Portland, you could save a lot of money if you move to Vancouver, Washington. It has lower tax rates then Oregon. Washington State has a better economic stance then Oregon and has more opportunities. I would check with that states board here on CityData.

If you have questions I can answer, I will do my best! Best of luck to you.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,608,681 times
If the OP can find a job in Vancouver, fine. But if s/he has a job in Oregon they will pay Oregon income tax, add that to a more expensive commute the adage of live close to where you work is a no-brainier, particularly for a low wage earner.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,505,239 times
Several months is not going to be long enough to live on while looking for work. That can be taken up by renting with first and last month and security deposits if you can find a landlord who will rent to you without a job. I agree with finding a job where you are now and asking for a transfer. Or finding a job where you are and saving at least a year's worth of funds before you move if you move without a job but doing that only as a last resort. If you can find work where you are at a big box store pr a chain restaraunt, and get a transfer, that would probably be the best way to go.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,369,192 times
Don't even consider a move without a job you can live on.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,073 times
Ok thank you for everyone who responded. I definitely will consider all the advice. Probably going to end up searching relentlessly for a job, and if that yields no results then I'll just try to get a job here and see what else I can do.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,050,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Don't even consider a move without a job you can live on.
It's not nice to tell people what to do, perhaps if you felt like you needed to point this out you could have said "It's best to have a job lined up up before you move since the job market is very competitive" as people have told me, and I've thanked them for the advice. But there's a difference between kindly giving advice and telling someone to do something.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,696,899 times
OP, check the general moving forum. You'll get better advice and ideas on moves as many of us who moved cross country several times frequent that forum and can provide you with ideas and things you need to do to pull off this move.

Because unless you have a specific skillset or find a rare job that will let you transfer, you won't be able to get a job out of state. Hiring managers aren't going to take a chance on someone in another state when there are almost always a plethora of local candidates to choose from and they don't have to worry about this people not showing up or returning home due to homesickness 6 months later (which is a common problem).

So if you take the advice of not moving until you have a job, you'll probably never move. In fact, there would be very few transplants in most cities. I have made several interstate moves along with others I know with no job lined up. And in this crappy economy too. None of them with a job lined up. Save up enough money to live on for 6 months or longer and then go. Don't try to rent an apartment without a job. It would be better to rent a room or sublet until you find a job locally. It's cheaper and you're not cutting into your savings with deposits, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland