Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,555 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

As the title says I am debating living in Portland, and commuting to the other side of Vancouver for M-F work.

I am low-mid twenties in age, just graduating from school with my bachelors degree. I am single and wouldn't mind living close to other people my age as I do not know anyone in the area coming in. I wouldn't say I live the life of the party, but don't mind going out every once in awhile. Any suggestions for specific apartments or areas to look at? I am looking at a price range of $600-1000/month for a 1 bdr/studio. I was researching for areas close to Portland State, but it sounds like there isn't much of a social scene there at all.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated! Thank you.

*Also maybe include what kind of commute would there be from that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,773 times
I wouldn't do that just because you will have to pay an Oregon Income Tax.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,580,356 times
Living in Oregon when you work in WA will add unnecessary expense in both the commute and housing cost. Unfortunately there isn't really a singles scene in Vancouver environs.

My suggestion is the reverse of MIKE's. Find an apartment near your place of employment and reassess your options in 6 months. Live below your means, focus on the job. Once the employment situation is stable and strong find a place to live with the vibe you are seeking.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,716 times
I commute from Milwaukee to the same area (WSUV, or Ridgefield area?) It's about 35 mins even speeding excessively on a good day.

I tell people over and over again. The earlier work starts the faster the commute will go, after 7 AM it will be rough, up to an hour maybe more. The commute back is even worse starting at about 3PM.

for $1000 you could live in the Pearl. I don't really know of any area that has a social scene. SE, Hawthorne, Alberta are other options. People your age don't tend to (live) anywhere in particular from what I have noticed. Vancouver has no dormitory colleges. Most the kids I talk to that went to WSUV or Clark, live out in Battle Ground or Washougal because it's cheap. Downtown Vancouver may be an option, it has a mini-mini-pearl vibe.

Where are you coming from? What are you used to? We don't have anything like 6th street in Austin or Mill Ave in Tempe. Hawthorne or Pearl is as close as it gets and it's going to be a mix of ages.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 AM

First off, thanks for the input! I will actually be working in battle ground, I was curious about DT Vancouver, but everything I have read said it is completely dead after 5-6PM. I do agree with the lack of income tax, I may lean towards the WA side of the river, any suggestions for areas on the Vancouver side that fits for me?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,447,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_jk3 View Post
but everything I have read said it is completely dead after 5-6PM.
This is everything north of the Columbia River all the way up to Seattle.

You're still better off living closer to work, saving your money on commuting. You're going to be doing that more often then you'll be out and about dating anyone or actually visiting anything in Portland anyways.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,453,771 times
I live 7 miles south of Battle Ground in Vancouver. I also work in Vancouver. Most of my social activities take place in Portland. If I leave a little before 4:00 or after 5:00, it takes me about a 1/2 hour to get downtown. I can take longer to find parking in the Pearl than it took to get there! If I leave between 4:00 and 4:15, it can easily take an hour to get to downtown on M-Th. Friday rarely has traffic for some reason. As others have said, there is not really a singles scene in Vancouver (that I have found); however, Portland is not as far away as everyone likes to make it sound.

Financially, it makes no sense to live in OR and work in WA. There's a very active Meetup group specifically for 20's and 30's and a lot of the members are in the same boat as you-new to the area and looking to meet people.

20 and 30 somethings in Portland - AWESOME Stuff (Portland, OR) - Meetup

Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,346,012 times

You will get double taxed. And the commute is a killer. Work in Oregon, live in Oregon

Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM

Thanks again for the input and the references! After all of the responses I think I may try and live close to or in Battle Ground, and see if I decide after a year or two if it would be worth it to move into Portland.

On a side note, I have always heard of the awesome Microbrews in the area, any specific recommendations for me? I am going to be visiting the area for a couple days at the end of the month.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,346,012 times
What is your attraction to Battleground if you will be working in Portland. It doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland