Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM

22 posts, read 110,528 times

Advertisements

I hear of all these people who live in Vancouver, WA, and commute down to Portland for work. But it seems to me that they get hit by sales tax in WA whenever they buy stuff there (which must be regularly - my wife is a stay-at-home-mom, so if I lived there, most of her shopping would undoubtedly be done at local markets in WA), and high income tax for working in Oregon. Seems like the worst of both worlds?

So, why do people do it? It doesn't seem to be so much cheaper to justify that, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Most of them shop in Oregon.

You're right. There's not much advantage in living in Vancouver and working in Portland. The objective is to work in Vancouver and shop in Portland.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
At one point most WA residents shopped in Oregon, mostly because Vancouver was a very small community without a lot of shopping - if you wanted appliances, computers, Costco, variety in clothing stores, you really had no choice, because those options didn't exist in Vancouver. It's grown quite a bit since then (although for clothing you're still stuck with the horrible Westfield Mall).

The advantages, presumably, are: lower housing costs (actual costs and taxes), better school funding. The disadvantages would be: fewer employment opportunities, still paying Oregon income tax on income earned in Oregon, mediocre public transportation, sprawling suburbia (although much of Portland's suburbs are exactly the same).

When the spouse worked for a WA-based company, we lived in Washington because it made more sense.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
It's a pro & con type of thing.

With respect to taxes, I currently live in Vancouver and work in Portland. I pay full Oregon State income tax as well as WA sales tax whenever I shop here.

When I bought a new vehicle, I paid a 8.8% WA sales tax on $20,000. Ouch!

On the other hand, my property tax is 1/3 of my daughter's in Portland. So if you're going to own a home, you can save money here.

As far as a commute goes, that all depends on where you live in WA and where you work in PDX. If you live and work in the east side, that's OK. Anything other than that and it could get ugly.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepax View Post
- my wife is a stay-at-home-mom, so if I lived there, most of her shopping would undoubtedly be done at local markets in WA), ....

Markets? groceries are not taxed for WA sales. Prepared food is taxed.

for clothes, there are some nice 're-sell' shops in PDX and Vanc

for big items most folks pick them up in PDX

Quote:
So, why do people do it? ..
better schools / funding, less crime, less busy, less bizarre politics, (tho we (left coast) are all CA clones with current splineless governors in OR & WA) gov funding, getting out of Multnomah county (VERY IMPORTANT for some, especially business owners). ...

I pay about 3x as much in WA Property taxes ($33/day) as my family / friends in OR. (be careful on which side of the street you live, as rates vary A LOT)

Old 02-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
I pay about 3x as much in WA Property taxes ($33/day) as my family / friends in OR. (be careful on which side of the street you live, as rates vary A LOT)
Your property must be valued at a high rate - when I lived in Vancouver, I paid about $11 per assessed thousand, which was half of what we paid when we live near Mt. Tabor.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM

536 posts, read 2,153,663 times
Im about to work in Vancouver. It's the same commute that I have currently..... and my pay will increase quite a bit.

Is it true WA doesn't take state taxes from residents?

Guess that won't apply to me.... since I can't see myself ever moving to Vancouver.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Is it true WA doesn't take state taxes from residents?
Nope, and if you show your driver's license before making a purchase, they'll even drop the sales tax.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 AM

536 posts, read 2,153,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Nope, and if you show your driver's license before making a purchase, they'll even drop the sales tax.

I mean't if you live in WA and work in WA they don't take state tax from your paycheck? ...

Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
I mean't if you live in WA and work in WA they don't take state tax from your paycheck? ...
Washington doesn't have an income tax, they have a sales tax. So if you live in Washington and work in Washington, you pay no state income tax. If you live in Washington and work in Oregon, you pay Oregon's income tax (with some limited exceptions). If you live in Oregon and work in Washington, you will pay Oregon income taxes. Most Washington employers will deduct Oregon income tax and send it to Oregon, but not all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: