Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 84,728 times

Advertisements

Imagine this has been covered ad infinitum, but we are looking to relocate later this year. My husband has noted many jobs in his field in both Portland and Vancouver. We did spend a few days in Portland earlier this year and loved it, but didn't go over to Vancouver. What are the benefits of each and drawbacks? We sort of need to make a decision soon, as we both need to apply for licenses to work and requirements are different between the two states. FWIW we have two young sons, but schools aren't a huge issue as we intend to either homeschool or use private schools for religous reasons. We are looking at things like crime, standard of living, housing costs, etc. (will be looking in the 300-350K price range), and things to do. We loved Portland downtown, science museum, etc, but know Vancouver isnt' far. Looking for any input..thanks, Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 PM

118 posts, read 418,903 times
If you can handle living in a suburb that is very connected to the region but not so connected because it's in a different state, then I would say Vancouver is for you. Beware cookie-cutter neighborhoods though!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:24 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,892 times
Personally I hate Vancouver and would never consider living there. It's just very boring.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 205,902 times
Thumbs up Vancouver!!!

Hello,
My Hubby and I just moved here and faced the same decision. We decided on Vancouver because it's closer to our work though our work's in Portland, than living anywhere else in Portland. It's right off airport way which is just a hop across the river from Vancouver. We also like that Vancouver is not as big / crowded as Portland but you are still close enough to do all the great things Portland has to offer. Even though some people would disagree I would say if you've got a family Vancouver is nice. I don't want any anti-Vancouverites to blast me here but I love it and just think others might too!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 PM

62 posts, read 218,465 times
If you are into left wing politics, tree huggers, granola and crime, then choose Portland. If you prefer a quieter lifestyle, great quality of life, much lower costs for housing, no income tax while having shopping in Oregon where there is no sales tax, then live in Washington. Oh yeah, much better school sysytem if you were to go that way - check out Camas and Hockinson schools. Some private schools too. I love having Portland nearby for shopping, sports, culture and humor (people watching is particularly entertaining in downtown Portland), but then being able to go home to a smaller town feel. It was an easy choice for us.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
probably a 10% pay raise living and working Vancouver (if you have equivalent job) probably 10% cheaper Cost of living too. but... it really depends on your preferences. (which you are not likely to get "un-biased" on a Portland Thread). But so far so good ;-)There are nice places in each city, and reasons for each and lots of diversity in both areas, tho Portland wins in granola and brew pubs.

I'd look into commute, schools and available youth activities / education (if appropriate). It is an ez 10 min drive for adult things like museums, sports leagues, shops. school. But you can minimize your time spent in commute by locating in the correct spot. Both areas have plenty of surburbia (which I personally avoid) but nice quaint older areas too. IMHO Camas will bloom in about 10 yrs being 10 min from PDX, and great potential waterfront (once the paper mill site is super fund cleaned up. (this might take more than 10 yrs.

We used to have a 5 acre fruit farm in Hazel Dell (north Vanc) 2 min to shopping, schools, sports, I-5, I-205, parts stores, grocery... + it is not annexed !! into city +++

Old 06-02-2007, 12:55 AM

118 posts, read 418,903 times
Vancouver really does seem to be a paradox to me. From what I've read it is cheaper to live in WA and I think that's why Vanc is growing so quickly. But I don't think there would be much growth if it wasn't right next to Oregon.

Anyways if you are looking for Suburbia, Vanc, Gresham, Oregon City are all the same. But if you like it more urban, then it's Portland. If you want to live in Oregon try an OR suburb maybe?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
BTW there is huge homeschooling support groups in both locations. (Washougal, WA was home to the "moore institute", pioneers of the 'modern' Homeschool movement circa 1970+). There is a big Curriculum fair in Lane county this weekend, and another in Portland next month. We frequently got together with OR home schoolers for beach and fossil bed science camps. You can join OMSI and get into some pretty good classes, and we worked the fund raisers at OPB (public propaganda radio; as homeschoolers , we wanted to make sure our kids got adequate 'social' skils and diversity of relationships ) + worked in public schools and nursing homes. It is quite 'normal' to homeschool in this region, and service opportunities abound. There are probably some sports leagues, but you can often join private or public schools for those activities. Our Kids did 'Running Start' in WA, where they test into Community College at 10th grade, and can take grades 11 & 12 at college. They can get a HS diploma from college, or from their 'sponsoring' public High School. (which is a requirement, so 'the system' gets their $$$... (the public HS gets the ~ $5000/yr for the student, but has to cover a few costs at the college) and the students buy books. BUT...!!! they can get a tuition FREE 2 yrs, and that saves them time and $$ on 4 yr degree. It is imperative to take relevant classes for transfer (contract classes) but there are many regional universities that will take them as full juniors direct out of this program. We have local ex-homeschoolers who have gone through law and medical school, and the 2 year head start was really nice preparation, and cost savings.

This might play into your location decision. (public bus is good way to get to college and save $$ + fuel). There is a similar program in OR. There are A LOT of community colleges, but OR is leading the pack in tuition costs. (too bad). There are also some superb instructors there who have often come out of relevant industry. Clark College is highly recognized nationally for it's rigorous Math program, and science + vocational training is good. One campus of Portland Community College is close to Vancouver for complimentary programs + Mt Hood (gresham) and Clackamas (Oregon City) are very good, just to name a few... Also plenty of private colleges; Linfield, Warner Pacific, Multnomah, Concordia, George Fox, Uof P, Reed, Lewis and Clark... we are not short on educational choices! (which I think speaks well for the region, and is a great catalyst for employment, and a strong, responsible community.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-02-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-02-2007, 06:04 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
If you are into left wing politics, tree huggers, granola and crime, then choose Portland. If you prefer a quieter lifestyle, great quality of life, much lower costs for housing, no income tax while having shopping in Oregon where there is no sales tax, then live in Washington.
Woodguy, you are killin' me... LOL...

I have never heard the urbin Portland city life contrasted with Vancouver in quite this way. I am sort of a tree huggin', granola eating conservative. So I am not quite sure where I would fall.

There seems to be a loftiness associated with urban living in Portland. I guess it really depends on what one is looking for. I have a family and do not like the idea of raising them 'in' any large city. I know people will say the suburbs are boring. And for folks who want to live right in the midst of the action that might be true. But I associate fun with the outdoors (eg - beach, mountains). So the city has little appeal except for visiting and work.

I would imagine Oregon suburbs such as Hillsboro or Sherwood might be closer in lifestyle to Vancouver.

Jan, we are also homeschoolers and that is Great info you provided on activity groups and homeschooling in general there. I am glad to hear there is a strong contingent of homeschoolers. I have also heard schools in Oregon tend be sub par in general and that Washington schools are better. If one homeschools this is less of an issue.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:55 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobot18 View Post
Anyways if you are looking for Suburbia, Vanc, Gresham, Oregon City are all the same.
Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. Vancouver is NOTHING like either Oregon City or Gresham. While Vancouver isn't quite the interesting city that Portland is, it isn't the white trash hell hole of Oregon City or Gresham, either. (And I've had the misfortune to spend entirely too much time in both Oregon City and Gresham.)

Yes, Vancouver is total suburbia. But you have the advantages of extremely good schools and significantly lower crime rates than the two Oregon cities mentioned above. Really, the only similarity between the three is their proximities to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland