Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Hi,

Not sure when you had them...but they have since improved their image. Their food even much more tasty. They are very popular where I used to live, they were well known for their coffee too..

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Give it up already! Maybe you need to move back to wherever it is you are from where they have them.

I liked Winchell's better and they didn't survive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 AM

378 posts, read 974,669 times
Quote:
you need to visit one of the many lovely lebanese places in Portland, try Nicholas, Habibi...
Also try Barbur whole foods...

It was actually the owner of Habibi that told me about the restriction.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 PM

217 posts, read 561,757 times
I lived a few years in Atlanta and they had chick-fil-a places all over. my opinion is "meh". it was a breaded piece of chicken on a white bread roll and a couple of pickle slices. nothing special at all. they did have interesting waffle fried potatoes though. but i would pass on a return because of their politics, same as the cracker barrell and dominos pizza.

Dunking donuts always seemed to be a depressing place. I always thought it reminded me of an early am greyhound bus station with the ever-present chain smoking cab driver.
Krisy Kremes were all over the place in atlanta but I wasn't interested in eating their donuts either; whimpy fried dough.
Stick with Voodoo Portlanders, they craft their food.
I work/live in Seattle and somebody brings in a a box or two of Top Pot Donuts (http://www.toppotdoughnuts.com/) into the office every week. This is non-gimmicky, honest to goodnes donut heaven and you should make a point to visit when you are in Seattle.
If I had my druthers l'd request Califonia based "El Pollo Loco" (El Pollo Loco : Flame-Grilled Chicken) in my neighborhood.
This stuff is wonderfully magnificent and delicous; grilled chicken pieces, tortillas, beans and rice and a big salsa bar. so fresh and good to eat mexican style chicken place.
I love some Ezell's in Seattle though (Welcome to Ezell's Chicken) this is the infamous chicken chain Oprah fell off her diet for and had it sent to her in Chicago.

Last edited by godhead; 07-19-2011 at 12:19 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Hi,

Not sure when you had them...but they have since improved their image. Their food even much more tasty. They are very popular where I used to live, they were well known for their coffee too..
Not all that long ago. The last one, I believe, was the one on Barbur Blvd. near PCC. You can buy their coffee in grocery stores, I believe. Other than that, looks like you're just going to have to move back to wherever this more wonderful selection of food was.

That said, back in the day, I preferred Dunkin' Donuts to Winchell's. But prefer Krispy Kreme to both. But then, I don't think I've had a donut for at least a couple of years. They're not the be-all and end-all of my existence.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:46 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
If I had my druthers l'd request Califonia based "El Pollo Loco" (El Pollo Loco : Flame-Grilled Chicken) in my neighborhood.
This stuff is wonderfully magnificent and delicous; grilled chicken pieces, tortillas, beans and rice and a big salsa bar. so fresh and good to eat mexican style chicken place.
They're in the Portland area. One in Tannasbourne, and on Cedar Hills. I've not been impressed personally.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
I lived a few years in Atlanta and they had chick-fil-a places all over. my opinion is "meh". it was a breaded piece of chicken on a white bread roll and a couple of pickle slices. nothing special at all. they did have interesting waffle fried potatoes though. but i would pass on a return because of their politics, same as the cracker barrell and dominos pizza.

Dunking donuts always seemed to be a depressing place. I always thought it reminded me of an early am greyhound bus station with the ever-present chain smoking cab driver.
Krisy Kremes were all over the place in atlanta but I wasn't interested in eating their donuts either; whimpy fried dough.
Stick with Voodoo Portlanders, they craft their food.
I work/live in Seattle and somebody brings in a a box or two of Top Pot Donuts (Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts) into the office every week. This is non-gimmicky, honest to goodnes donut heaven and you should make a point to visit when you are in Seattle.
I love some Ezell's in Seattle though (Welcome to Ezell's Chicken) this is the infamous chicken chain Oprah fell off her diet for and had it sent to her in Chicago.
Krispy Kremes had a lot of stores in Portland at one time. I don't know if there are any left now. There was an El Pollo Loco in my neighborhood on Hawthorne Blvd about five or six years ago. They were okay. Now they have a different name so I supposed they were sold to someone else. I haven't been back since that happened. I should check it out one day.

Last edited by Minervah; 07-19-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 02:03 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Auburn, WA (SE suburb of Seattle) has a donut shop, Legendary Donuts, that is apparently exactly like Voodoo w/o the weird schtick. When I stopped by Legendary last summer, they were definitely incredibly good donuts. Still no creamsticks, though.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:04 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Krispy Kremes had a lot of stores in Portland at one time. I don't know if there are any left now. There was an El Pollo Loco in my neighborhood on Hawthorne Blvd about five or six years ago. They were okay. Now they have a different name so I supposed they were sold to someone else. I haven't been back since that happened. I should check it out one day.
There's a new(er) KK on 82nd in front of Wal-Mart.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM

121 posts, read 219,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Inn-N-Out Burger has no intentions to expand into Oregon. Closest one to us is, I'm afraid, in Redding, CA.

We used to have a few Dunkin' Donuts but they fizzled out a long time ago. When I was in Manhattan a few years ago I was amazed at how many Dunkin's there were in the city.
Just had to chime in because I am a loyal In-N-Out fan. In-N-Out is still a family owned chain and because of their commitment to high quality ingredients, they will only open new restaurants within a days drive of their meat processing facilities. The reason Texas is getting In-N-Out is that the company just opened a new distribution center in Texas. Even though I am a vegan (for health reasons), I will miss simply having the option of grabbing a delicious Lost Dutchman style Double Double and a side of cheese fries when we move. HOWEVER, having said that, I think one of the great things about moving to a different place is the opportunity to try things specific to the locale. I would be really put out if I moved somewhere new only to find that it was just like the place I left behind.

I also love Dunkin Donuts, and while I don't regularly eat donuts, I will miss their delicious old-fashioned with crumb topping. But VooDoo donuts sounds really awesome (and it will have to be to make me stray from my vegan/raw food ways!).

Old 07-19-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStandTheHeat View Post
Just had to chime in because I am a loyal In-N-Out fan. In-N-Out is still a family owned chain and because of their commitment to high quality ingredients, they will only open new restaurants within a days drive of their meat processing facilities. The reason Texas is getting In-N-Out is that the company just opened a new distribution center in Texas. Even though I am a vegan (for health reasons), I will miss simply having the option of grabbing a delicious Lost Dutchman style Double Double and a side of cheese fries when we move. HOWEVER, having said that, I think one of the great things about moving to a different place is the opportunity to try things specific to the locale. I would be really put out if I moved somewhere new only to find that it was just like the place I left behind.

I also love Dunkin Donuts, and while I don't regularly eat donuts, I will miss their delicious old-fashioned with crumb topping. But VooDoo donuts sounds really awesome (and it will have to be to make me stray from my vegan/raw food ways!).
Good for you!

We may not have locally owned In-And-Outs but we do have locally owned Burgerville which uses all locally raised and grown ingredients in its food. And it's really good.

Perhaps what "Portland needs (and Oregon)" is fewer people moving here who try to make it like where they are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland