Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:13 PM

378 posts, read 975,255 times

Advertisements

Despite pining for East Coast/Midwestern eateries - the one realistic thing I would like a reversal on the ban of selling raw meats in restaurants. I love Lebanese food and Kibbeh Nayeh is one of my favorites but I can't buy it in the city because (I've been told by restaurant owners) it is against the law. Steak tartar is illegal, or in this case lamb tartar is illegal? I've eaten it all over the states but not here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM

334 posts, read 487,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
Despite pining for East Coast/Midwestern eateries - the one realistic thing I would like a reversal on the ban of selling raw meats in restaurants. I love Lebanese food and Kibbeh Nayeh is one of my favorites but I can't buy it in the city because (I've been told by restaurant owners) it is against the law. Steak tartar is illegal, or in this case lamb tartar is illegal? I've eaten it all over the states but not here.
you need to visit one of the many lovely lebanese places in Portland, try Nicholas, Habibi...
Also try Barbur whole foods...

Last edited by hose111; 07-15-2011 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: r

Old 07-15-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
I guess other places must have it better w/donut shops. Here in Happy Valley & Damascus, the ONLY places that sell donuts, are the grocery stores and the Krispy Kreme on 82nd.

Are there any other bakeries (I do know of a sugar free one at 82nd/212-224) or donut shops in Happy Valley/Clackamas/Damascus? I can't seem to find any beyond those mentioned.
My observation is that HV is a new up and coming area. It looks lovely and I think it will be a huge boom area (from observation). Many lovely homes etc...But as it is new, there probably noot as many businesses. My guess is they will explode eventually. That area is sweet, near Mt Hood, has some nice things going for her. I like that it's near 205 also.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,451,420 times
Google says there is a Dunkin Donuts in Oak Grove along McLoughlin. A Heavenly Donuts, and Winchell's further down closer to Gladstone, and on 82nd in Clackamas as place called Daily Donut.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Google says there is a Dunkin Donuts in Oak Grove along McLoughlin. A Heavenly Donuts, and Winchell's further down closer to Gladstone, and on 82nd in Clackamas as place called Daily Donut.
The reason I mentioned DD is because I was in Baskin Robbins near where I live, and it made me remember DD. In the east coast, these 2 stores are usually run together.

I honestly feel that having DD's here would make this place that much nicer. So I am not necessarily complaining, simply thinking that portland is a great area and that is why I think about having a DD here!

Same with In-n-out.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,543,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
Steak tartare isn't illegal in Portland restaurants. I mean it's rare, but French/European-style reastaurants like Beast, Carafe, and Paley's all have it on the menu. And the Gilt Club has elk tartare.

But as far as Kibbeh Nayeh...I don't know if it's just not on the menu of local Lebanese restaurants for some other reason, but it seems weird that only raw lamb would somehow be illegal.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
The reason I mentioned DD is because I was in Baskin Robbins near where I live, and it made me remember DD. In the east coast, these 2 stores are usually run together.

I honestly feel that having DD's here would make this place that much nicer. So I am not necessarily complaining, simply thinking that portland is a great area and that is why I think about having a DD here!

Same with In-n-out.

Dunkin Donuts used have stores in Portland but they have not existed here in a long time. I don't know why they failed.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Dunkin Donuts used have stores in Portland but they have not existed here in a long time. I don't know why they failed.
Thats too bad. I hope they try again, they have re-invented themselves lately (same as Subway has with breakfast, etc). They are cool now, that's why I liked them. I enjoyed their breakfast for lunch myself. Didn't go there much for donuts!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,913,557 times
Hi Hose,
I lived on East coast for many years and I could walk in a DD and not feel tempted by anything. Even as a younger person... nada. Not into DD. Don't get it.

QUOTE=hose111;20029337]you guys don't understand the lure of DD. You would have to hang out on the east coast more...It is not only donuts there anymore, also they have wonderful breakfast lunch. And the colors are so inviting (the orange). There is something about dunking donuts that makes you happy.

I enjoyed my time at Sesame, but I still want DD[/quote]

Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Hi Hose,
I lived on East coast for many years and I could walk in a DD and not feel tempted by anything. Even as a younger person... nada. Not into DD. Don't get it.

QUOTE=hose111;20029337]you guys don't understand the lure of DD. You would have to hang out on the east coast more...It is not only donuts there anymore, also they have wonderful breakfast lunch. And the colors are so inviting (the orange). There is something about dunking donuts that makes you happy.

I enjoyed my time at Sesame, but I still want DD
[/quote]
do you get tempted in Sesame??

many people do get tempted! they are very profitable, many of their stores are open 24 hrs. yumm.. even in chicago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland