Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,466,505 times

Advertisements

To you maybe.
BTW, your trolling skilz are second to none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM

50 posts, read 102,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Funny how some people move here supposedly claiming it is the uniqueness and individuality they want from Portland but when they get here it's all about what they want to bring from where they came.

But I suppose that's the trend today.
Not me Not there yet, but moving in a couple weeks and we are only bringing our family, pets and belongings! Even though Portland probably isn't as weird as it was 20 years ago...I believe it is still very unique compared to most cities.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 PM

334 posts, read 487,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
To you maybe.
BTW, your trolling skilz are second to none.
ooooh....what a surprising complement!

always felt it was something I was ok at, try to pursue it.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:18 PM

seriously, I haven't been trolling that much anymore. I enjoy Portland. Been meaning to put a positive post....not finding the time (or the effort...). I have a few troll posts thrown in here and there...

Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,102,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Wait until the current city government changes and we get rid of the remnants of the Goldschmidt & Katz years...
I betting voters will vote in a slightly more conservative "business friendly" bunch of people than we have now.
Then the chains will flock to Portland to service everyone else who flocked here looking for ?
The population of Portland is becoming less liberal and moving to the middle.
I know several transplants that are flabbergasted with the way things are done here.

Portland is beginning to lose it's uniqueness, and the personality it had in the '80s and '90's that made Portland special is long forgotten.
It's becoming just another generic city populated by generic transplants from everywhere but Oregon.

We've had major "liberal" influx from California and the east coast. If the more conservative southerners, southwesterners, and Texans "discover" Portland and start moving here en masse, things will definately change.
I've read that the trend is for red state liberals to high-tail themselves to cities like Portland while the blue state conservatives motor to red state metros.

Of course, a red state liberal may still miss some of the amenities of home.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Portlanders need to realize we live in a capitalistic country (of which Portland is a part). So the trend of the corporations coming to Portland will continue as long as there is a profit. And even if you don't like it, there are many others here in Portland who do and who will drive this corporate takeover. Sorry this sound harsh, but it's the cold hard reality. There are no weird towns left in this nation...even stumptown is no longer weird. Alright everyone, this is my last post here....

Old 07-30-2011, 03:47 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,456,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Portlanders need to realize we live in a capitalistic country (of which Portland is a part). So the trend of the corporations coming to Portland will continue as long as there is a profit. And even if you don't like it, there are many others here in Portland who do and who will drive this corporate takeover. Sorry this sound harsh, but it's the cold hard reality. There are no weird towns left in this nation...even stumptown is no longer weird. Alright everyone, this is my last post here....
I would agree with you to a certain extent, but the cold hard fact is that Portland is not a very profitable city for most chains. You don't see Sonic Drive-In in the city. It's out in Hillsboro and seems empty half the time. You don't see Boston Market around, they opened two locations and both closed within three years despite seeing rave reviews. There is no longer a Burger King downtown, it never did the greatest business anyways and had to remain open 24 hours just to make a profit (off of druggies and prostitutes.) I can't even count the number of Cold Stones that have closed. Subway, Plaid Panty, 7-11, all have had many closures here in the PDX area.

Non-Food corporate chains have it even harder. Mall 205, Jantzen Beach and Beaverton Mall are all testaments to the failure and over-saturation of Big-Box chains in Portland. Lloyd Center still has a couple of large spaces that were once occupied by nation-wide chains. One has been open off and on for nearly ten years now and never seems to be filled longer then a couple of months.

The stores will come, there is no doubt in anyone's minds that they will. But if they can generate a profit and last is a totally different story.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
Two McDonalds have failed downtown. So have two Burger Kings. Winchell's Donuts and Dunkin Donuts have failed. Not all big corporatations have been sucessful here. I think it all depends upon who they are aimed at.

Stores like Whole Foods will continue to thrive as long as the yuppie-types continue to move here and are used to having them where they formerly lived. I am not "against" WF's even though I cannot afford them. I am just saddened at the locally operated stores they drove away.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:19 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,566,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Alright everyone, this is my last post here....
Does anyone actually believe this?

Capitalism also means that the markets decide what is profitable, and if the city doesn't like the chain it won't work. As many have said it's happened here before, and probably still will in the future.

Just embrace it and try some local stuff!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Does anyone actually believe this?

Capitalism also means that the markets decide what is profitable, and if the city doesn't like the chain it won't work. As many have said it's happened here before, and probably still will in the future.

Just embrace it and try some local stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland