Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 PM

172 posts, read 537,111 times

Advertisements

I think the Deschutes pub in the Pearl has the highest number of constantly rotating locally brewed beer taps and not just hophead IPAs. They do a lot of experimentation with Belgian styles and hybrids, hefes and pilsners. Their Dissident sour is a winner as well. Their Abyss imperial stout and XX imperial porter are incredible.

I like what the Mcmennamins offer as far as ambience and facilities like Edgefield but their beer is pedestrian by Portland standards. Only a few rotating seasonals and their staples are competent but not outstanding.

A smaller brewer that I love is Upright Brewing. Farmhouse style ales with a Northwest twist as their website says. Very experimental. They do not have a full pub but they do have a tasting room open on weekends by the Rose Garden arena that is worth a visit. They also sell bottles on Saturday's at the PDX farmer's market in the south park blocks as well as other specialty retailers.

HUB is another great brewer - all organic and a nice new pub on the east side.

I love Stone beers but I think you will be well satisfied with local Portland brewers. While the main brewer's fest in PDX is an event, the lesser known International Beer Festival is the weekend just prior and is a bit more low key. It is a lot easier to taste and enjoy in a slightly mellower atmosphere up in the park blocks - I recommend checking out that one as well - quite a few local and west coast brewers attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 01:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
McMenamin's definitely brews onsite. Not all of their pubs are breweries, but they have 16 breweries in Oregon (10 of them in the Portland area) and 8 more in Washington (2 of them near Portland). McMenamins - McMenamins Breweries Home
That's good to know that some still do; the one I used to go to stopped brewing onsite which caused some consternation among the regulars, but that was a long time ago and the place is still doing very well. They did stop doing my favorite ale though.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:34 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Personally I like the Lompoc brewpubs and beers in Portland, especially the 5th Quadrant near my house and the adjacent Sidebar tasting room.

Lompoc Brewing | Portland, Oregon

The big microbrew pubs are fun--Deschutes, Rogue, Bridgeport in the Pearl and Widmer up in NoPo. And HopWorks feels pretty big-scale these days, but the beer is pretty reliably good. Personally I like drinking at smaller beer connoisseur spots like the Horse Brass Pub or Concordia Ale House out in NE(best selection of Belgian beers anywhere).

Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 PM

161 posts, read 410,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
You can find a McMenamins - Home Page in many neighborhoods; I've always had good beer and good times in any McMenamin's I've ever been in.

The other big names in craft beer here are Portland Brewing/MacTarnahan's, Bridgeport, Widmer Bros. (known for their hefeweizen), Rogue, Full Sail, and Deschutes. All of them have pubs of their own in addition to being available all over town. There are also well-known independents like Hopworks, Lucky Labrador, New Old Lompoc, Raccoon Lodge, Hair of the Dog and Rock Bottom (which is part of a chain, but there's only one in Portland).

I think you're going to like it here.
I LOVE Bridgeport, Wildmer Bros, and Full Sail...those are probably my 3 favorite breweries that I can only get out of 6 packs down here and a few bars.

I will be moving into the SE section of PDX. I'm talking to a few people in the Hawthorne/Tabor neighborhoods. Havn't put a downpayment on an apartment yet, but hopefully close!

AHH I can't wait! I'm so excited about having a new beer scene!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Personally I like the Lompoc brewpubs and beers in Portland, especially the 5th Quadrant near my house and the adjacent Sidebar tasting room.

Concordia Ale House out in NE(best selection of Belgian beers anywhere).
My brother also recommended Lompoc. I can't wait to try it! And Concordia sounds right up my alley!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Not in Portland but well worth the drive to Hood River. Double Mountain Brewery! A couple blocks away is Full Sail, I especially like sitting at the bar and letting the bartender find something to match my taste.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
My brother also recommended Lompoc. I can't wait to try it! And Concordia sounds right up my alley!
Yeah, Concordia is cool if you make it out that way, they've got a huge selection...It's right also down the street from the Kennedy School--which is a McMenamins property featuring several bars and restaurants and a movie pub that was renovated from an old historic junior high school. It's similar to other McMenamins, but it's one of the more unique locations.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I LOVE Bridgeport, Wildmer Bros, and Full Sail...those are probably my 3 favorite breweries that I can only get out of 6 packs down here and a few bars.

I will be moving into the SE section of PDX. I'm talking to a few people in the Hawthorne/Tabor neighborhoods. Havn't put a downpayment on an apartment yet, but hopefully close!

AHH I can't wait! I'm so excited about having a new beer scene!
Hey, OmiShanti! I'll be looking for your very decorated car.

One of the older McMenamins Pubs is right near 17th and Hawthorne.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Hey, OmiShanti! I'll be looking for your very decorated car.

One of the older McMenamins Pubs is right near 17th and Hawthorne.
HAHA it's hard to miss, it has horse stickers on it as well as the typical hippy ones

I can't wait to get up there and try all of these places out. I've become a beer connoisseur in the last year, and can't wait to exchange the winery scenery for breweries!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
HAHA it's hard to miss, it has horse stickers on it as well as the typical hippy ones

I can't wait to get up there and try all of these places out. I've become a beer connoisseur in the last year, and can't wait to exchange the winery scenery for breweries!
You don't have the exchange one for the other, you can get both here.

Welcome to the Willamette Valley
Oregon Wine Board | Tour Oregon Wine Country, Buy Wines Directly

Although I like the Yakima/Wenatchee area in Washington for shiraz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland