Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 86,033 times

Advertisements

I am considering a trip to Oregon this month and was originally planning on 7/24 - 7/27 so that I could attend the Oregon Brewers Festival (http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/index.htm - broken link). Then, I found out that there is a Portland International Beer Festival (http://www.seattlebeerfest.com/Index2%20PIB.htm - broken link) 7/18 - 7/20. Which is the one to go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:35 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgerloff View Post
I am considering a trip to Oregon this month and was originally planning on 7/24 - 7/27 so that I could attend the Oregon Brewers Festival (http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/index.htm - broken link). Then, I found out that there is a Portland International Beer Festival (http://www.seattlebeerfest.com/Index2%20PIB.htm - broken link) 7/18 - 7/20. Which is the one to go to?
What do you want out of the festival? Are you a homebrewer who wants to attend seminars or see demonstrations as well as taste microbrews and listen to music? That would be Oregon Brewer's festival, which is Oregon/Pacific Northwest beer-centric. If you want a more international sample of commercial beers, it's the other one.

I grow hops and make my own beer, so I'll be at the first, most likely, not the second.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
What do you want out of the festival? Are you a homebrewer who wants to attend seminars or see demonstrations as well as taste microbrews and listen to music? That would be Oregon Brewer's festival, which is Oregon/Pacific Northwest beer-centric. If you want a more international sample of commercial beers, it's the other one.

I grow hops and make my own beer, so I'll be at the first, most likely, not the second.
My boyfriend and I are going for fun - and also to visit the city and get a feel for it - we are considering moving there. So, perhaps the PIB festival would be better?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 PM

The Oregon Brewer's Festival is on the waterfront at Tom McCall Park, which is far more Portland-y. That's where almost all of the big festivals are held - the Safeway Waterfront Blues Festival , the Bite of Portland and the Rose Festival's Carnival. The big jazz festival is up on Mt. Hood, 45 min or so out of town.

The other beer festival is over in the Park Blocks in the Pearl, which is the section for upscale stores and restaurants in a sort of warehouse environment.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:57 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,050,540 times
Id go for the OBF! seriously.
Tiff

Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Especially since Oregon and the PNW has some amazing beer!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Especially since Oregon and the PNW has some amazing beer!
Are you saying that in response to tiffela74's comment? And, what does PNW mean?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that in response to tiffela74's comment? And, what does PNW mean?
About what? You mean the comment about one being more "Portland-y" than the other? Odds are better that you'll see a bigger cross-slice of Portland at the Oregon Brewer's Festival. Everything from the "all organic, all the time" crowd all the way through middle-class and yuppies up to the beer snobs. People like to come out and "play" at the waterfront - listen to music, watch the people walking by, let the kids play in the fountains, watch the boats. Granted, the festival is big enough that it has that commercial big event feel to it, and there is always a bit of stern crowd control (by Portland standards) because of the alcohol.

From there you can also hit Saturday Market in Old Town and the wonderful Farmer's Market up at PSU in the south park blocks (hit the Farmer's Market earlier in the morning; stuff tend to vanish quickly). Granted, you can do that from the other festival as well, since it's within the Trolley's Fareless Square area.

The Pearl has some upsides (the biggest being Powell's Books and the Whole Foods Market) but, to me, it's mostly an exercise in very expensive trendiness.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Quote:
Yes. And PNW means Pacific Northwest.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,050,540 times
Yipes!!! I thought Id done something to tick people off there for a bit! Dont freak me out like that!! lol

I think PNW-type-gal wrote it out true and well. Ive been to both and had much more fun at the OBF. Even more so when I found out my husband had done Kareokee (spl??) up on stage there a few short years before we met! Must go back and get him to do it again! lol
anyhow, teh OBF one always seems more laid back, friendly, fun and true Portland vibe then the PIB.......
hummmm...let me put it this way....my husband, friends and I prefer the OBF...my folks prefer the PIB.
Nothin wrong w/that. they're just more all about finding the best "fine brewery" to serve at dinner parties and such. I do know they love going and always have a good time. we dont care so much what we serve, we just want to go, have a great time, and sample some great beers!
Cant go to wrong either way though.
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland