Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 AM

57 posts, read 262,219 times

Advertisements

My BF and I are visiting Portland the first week in September (and considering moving there from Baltimore - we are 26 yr old). Our favorite past times are wine, beer, food, live music and the outdoors. I'd love to hear some opinions on the best places to taste these infamous microbrews. Also, any wineries in the area? Favorite sites? Sounds? Must-sees? Cheap/tasty eats?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I did a bunch of searches but am just not finding enough good info.

Thanks!
Lola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

485 posts, read 1,962,187 times
Deschutes brewery is a must. Excellent beer. Excellent food.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,118,032 times
Oh, my...where to begin? I can't believe you're not finding much info. I second the Deschutes Brewery, although I haven't been to the one in Portland yet. There's only like a billion other ones. McMenamins locations are worth a shot, too--many of their locations are built inside existing buildings so you get schools, theatres, etc. that have been converted to brewpubs. So there's unique atmospheres to these.

If you are up for a bit of driving around the general area, head out west/southwest of Portland to the wine country. There are a ton of wineries out there. Erath Vineyards has one of the better scenic locations, although I think there are better quality wines in the area. Ponzi Vineyards is one of the original innovators in Oregon's wine industry and they are closer to Portland than most of the others. The Carleton Winemakers Studio houses a bunch of very small labels so you can sample several labels at once. Cooper Mountain Vineyards has some sort of green-certified program (not a big draw for me but that makes it unique; plus their quality seems to be returning - the switch to green appeared to affect them for a while). Archery Summit is, I believe, by appointment only and is a sought-after label. And that is literally just scratching the surface.

You might also want to trek out to Forest Grove to SakeOne - a real-life sake brewery. I HIGHLY recommend it if you are in to sake at all.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,550,587 times
Was just researching some things for my own vacation to Oregon/PDX and came across this thread. Having spent 2 weeks in Portland for work last year (the impetus for my vacation) I can tell you the places that I really, really liked as a fellow beer enthusiast. My personal favorite bars were Bridgeport, Widmer, and Henry's. Henry's has an absolutely amazing amount of beers on tap and a kind of cool atmosphere...we went there for happy hour pretty much daily. We also went to the Rogue Brewpub in the Pearl district and that was pretty cool too. Honestly there are so many you can just get a beer at each one and probably never hit them all.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 AM

57 posts, read 262,219 times
thanks for the great replies!

spacelord - henry's 12th street tavern?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:02 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,550,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolavanatta View Post
thanks for the great replies!

spacelord - henry's 12th street tavern?
Yeah, that's it.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:03 PM

268 posts, read 1,196,740 times
If you want to experience a beautiful drive and have a great beer at the end of it, head out east on I-84 to Hood River and stop at the Full Sail Brewing Co. They have fabulous food and great beer!
You can take the historic Hwy 30 as a detour off of 84 for some breathtaking stops in the Columbia Gorge and the waterfalls there...

Old 08-09-2008, 02:04 AM

544 posts, read 1,475,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
Deschutes brewery is a must. Excellent beer. Excellent food.
**** Deschutes, there is only one true brewpub to go and that my friends is the Lucky Labrador. Go to Roots but the beer is incredibly strong there.
Lucky Lab above all tho!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:32 AM

865 posts, read 2,507,634 times
The previous posts mention most of the larger breweries/brew pub locations. But I'll second meltinjohn's vote for the Lucky Lab (especially the east side/Hawthorne location). Good brews and good food.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 PM

9 posts, read 28,532 times
Baltimore can hold it's own for beer, but Portland will blow you away.

I'll third the Lucky Lab mention, and add Laurelwood (I like the old location at 40th & Sandy more than the new one, but check both for different brews).

And Widmer may well pour the cheapest pints of quality beer in the city (country?), it's only $2 a pint certain day & times and there are always several seasonals/non-bottles options, typically very nice stuff.

Oh and let's not forget Bridgeport, noted mainly by me for it's constant selection of at least 2-3 cask-conditioned options.....very nice.

I used to live in Portland and miss many things there but the amazing beer scene may be missed above all!

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland