Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 AM

11 posts, read 12,201 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be spending 1 month in Portland, probably in May. I have never been, and would greatly appreciate advice on which areas to seek temporary housing for the duration of my stay. I will have my 4 year old son with me, and my main prerequisits are :

- safety, including easy parking
- walkable to parks and childfriendly areas/activities
- walkable to restaurants/grocerys/coffeeshops

Someone mentioned an area that is (I quote) : "area near downtown Portland that has massive parks, and tons of street artists, markets, fountains, musicians, etc"
but didn't say what the name of that area is. Is it an interesting area, or mostly commercial hype for tourists?

Also, if anyone has suggestions of classes or 'drop off' play groups for my son, that would be great. He will be bored having no other children to play with for an entire month...

Thank you for your time,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
There is a motel near Good Samaritan Hospital that might meet your needs. (Remember that temporary housing in urban neighborhoods is expensive.) It is on the streetcar line. There are many activities in walking distance. The street car will take you to many of the activies that you mention.

Wallace Park has a playground for young children as does Washington Park. There is another play area in the Pearl, on the street car line, and there is PlayDate PDX not far away.

Preschools are pretty much not 'drop in' affairs. There is an afternoon preschool at Friendly House for that age group but it is not at all drop in, finding a slot for a month would be VERY difficult. There is a private program on NW Thurman, you could always contact them. The Portland Park Bureau has activities for preschoolers but you would need to be there, same with Children's Museum, OMSI and the Multnomah County Library.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Thank you for the information. I didn't mean a preschool as I know it will not be possible to enroll him for one month, and he already attends preschool at home. I was thinking more about "play date" centers where kids can come and play together and be monitored by staff; they had them when I was in LA, I thought perhaps they would have something similar in Portland.
I will check with the places you mentioned and see what is available : so long as there are other kids he can play with, I'm happy to be there.

Thank you for the suggestion of the motel. I'm actually going to be looking for a furnished flat such as a vacation rental or equivalent : there are many available over the internet, but I was hoping to be able to identify which areas would be better than others.

Thank you for your help,
ES

Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
Price will help us help you.......

Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 PM

My grandchildren (preschoolers) frequent the places I mentioned. I would avoid the Children's Museum on the weekend, particularly if it is raining. I think half the little kids in the metro are are there. OMSI is a wonderful place for kids (even parents) of all ages.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM

This place in Sellwood looks good: Cozy Victorian Sellwood Cottage! (http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sub/2263706236.html - broken link)

And this: May openings! Short and Long-Term Options. Fully Furnished! (http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sub/2263509599.html - broken link)

Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 AM

Thank you all for your helpful input, and thank you Nell for your links. In the hours I spend searching the internet yesterday, I found a lovely place in the Pearl district for 1750 all inclusive. I know it's a lot but temporary housing is, by default, expensive.

I am inclined to book this place : can anyone confirm that there ARE childrens' activities nearby? (I can't quite figure out how big Portland is and how far distances stretch).

I am also now thinking that, with the flat being so central (it seems to me) perhaps I don't need a car and can rely on public transport. Again, can anyone confirm this? WHen I am in Portland, I will need to take a couple short trips to Vancouver, WA, but I can get a oneday car rental for those trips. Otherwise, if I can live without a car and save money too, I'd much prefer it.

Thank you all for your help,

Emma

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM

For short term car rental there is Zip Car who places cars on the street throughout the city check www.zipcar.com Enterprise has a location on NW Burnside about 17th. Budget and Hertz have locations within walkable distance.

I am a grandmother so haven't paid much attention to mommie blogs but this one looks usefull: urbanMamas

I hear that this place in the Pearl is a great place for children: Children's Healing Art Project

The streetcar goes to Multnomah County Central Library, using the library event finder I found many events & activities for the preschool set at that location: Library Events and Classes (http://events.multcolib.org/events/cfml/index.cfm?action=1101&LanguageID=1 - broken link) The NW Portland branch is also an option, but it is a small facility.

Enjoy your visit.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I am also now thinking that, with the flat being so central (it seems to me) perhaps I don't need a car and can rely on public transport. Again, can anyone confirm this?
It depends upon where you are planning to go. You can easily get anywhere in the Pearl either walking or taking public transportation but once you want to stray too far from the downtown area you will have to follow either the bus or MAX routes which don't always go where you want to go.

Take a look at the Tri-Met website. It's a good place to see where you can go on public transportation. Just a word of encouragment; as the "regulars" here know, I have lived in Portland for about 32 years and never owned a car. I get around just fine.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 PM

There is a Whole Foods and a Safeway store in the Pearl, and another Safeway on the streetcar line @ 10th & Jefferson (the store I prefer however that chain has not seen fit to provide misters for organic fresh fruits & vegetables).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: