Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 PM

48 posts, read 245,344 times

Advertisements

So, I'm supposed to hear in the next couple of days (or so) whether I've landed a gig in Beaverton or not. If so (fingers crossed), I'll be relocating from Oklahoma, first alone and then will be joined by my family (wife and 2 young sons) when the house sells.

Because there are a lot of variables in our move, I'm trying to work through my options. The job is very close to Streets of Tanasbourne, so I'm looking for something in that area, casting my net fairly wide to the East, as far as Portland and Lake Oswego. Correct me if I'm wrong, but traffic patterns on 26 mean that I'll be going against traffic at normal morning and evening commute times (a good thing in my book!), right?

With the ongoing mortgage back in Oklahoma, it's my goal to keep my expenses as low as possible. I think my "goal" (not based on any real knowledge) is to have rent and utilities right around $500/month. I've looked at Craigslist for both rentals and roommate opportunities, but I don't think I'm getting an accurate picture of what's out there. First off, rooms for rent and roommate searches have been turning up places that, to my eye at least, are grossly overpriced. If I'm seeing apartments for $600, what on God's green Earth would make me pay $500 for a bedroom and bathroom in a stranger's house? Is it the area? Are there areas in the West Portland/Washington County area with more active roommate opportunities?

On a related theme, I've seen here and elsewhere discussion of income restricted properties. Some that I've seen would be right in my sweet spot cost wise, so I'm trying to figure out how the rules are applied. I've been out of work for 14 months now, so although my income is normally way beyond the income levels I've seen posted, my documented income for the last 14 months is right in line with the limits. My question is, does anyone know what documentation they look at to determine qualification? If it's prior year tax returns, then I'm out of luck (my income for the first 7 months of 2009 was normal). If it's something else, then it might work out for me. Then, assuming I somehow qualify, is there an ongoing review process which would force me to move once I started getting back to my old earning levels?

Finally, I'm looking to keep my options somewhat open, as, at least right now, the Oklahoma City real estate market seems to be somewhat healthy and, once the house sells, I'm going to go from guy living alone on the cheap to family looking to buy a house near good schools ASAP. Any suggestions to keep me out of a long lease?

All help, suggestions, advice are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
If I were an individual looking to live inexpensively I would try to find a room-mate situation. I think trying to find an income restricted apartment on the budget you mention would be daunting, you may be required to sign a year's lease. Yes, that would be a bedroom, bathroom with kitchen privilages but this isn't Oklahoma City and you want to live as inexpensively as possible.

You may be able to find a short-term sub-let but it will be a scramble. Try putting a note on Craig's list that you are available to house-sit in the area where you may be working for a couple months, nothing ventured nothing gained. Here would be my rough draft: "Software engineer on a project commencing about Oct 15 looking to house sit for several months (whatever legnth you think you need). Willing to look after dog/cat. I am a home owner in the mid-west, happy to provide references. "

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 09-16-2010 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM

48 posts, read 245,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If I were an individual looking to live inexpensively I would try to find a room-mate situation. I think trying to find an income restricted apartment on the budget you mention would be daunting, you may be required to sign a year's lease. Yes, that would be a bedroom, bathroom with kitchen privilages but this isn't Oklahoma City and you want to live as inexpensively as possible.

You may be able to find a short-term sub-let but it will be a scramble. Try putting a note on Craig's list that you are available to house-sit in the area where you may be working for a couple months, nothing ventured nothing gained. Here would be my rough draft: "Software engineer on a project commencing about Oct 15 looking to house sit for several months (whatever legnth you think you need). Willing to look after dog/cat. I am a home owner in the mid-west, happy to provide references. "
Thanks Nell. That's a great suggestion. My wife has pointed out to me that, despite our own woes, even if I could get an income restricted unit, it would be karmically bad to do so, given that I'd be taking a unit from someone that truly needs one.

As to the whole roommate thing. Again, I've looked on Craigslist and I'm coming up with slim pickings in terms of options that aren't unrealistically overpriced. Any areas that are reasonable commutes to Beaverton/Hillsboro that might have more options that I should be looking at? How about other websites/publications?

Thanks again all!

Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 AM

639 posts, read 1,600,368 times
Keep in mind that you'll need to make about 22% more money in Beaverton to have the same lifestyle you had in Oklahoma City. Average rents in Beaverton are about $1100 (for all size units averaged - from studios to 3 bedrooms) while average rents in Oklahoma City are about $700 for the same.

So, it's possible that in the Beaverton market $500 is quite reasonable for a room in someone else's domicile. (since you're basically splitting the space with them, you'll pay roughly a bit less than half their rent or mortgage, right?)

Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
Oregonians aren't really 'churched' but if you are a member of a church in Oklahoma City there is no harm in contacting the same denomination congregations here to seek temporary housing. People want to help others and some may appreciate a little extra income.

During the depression many households had roomers for the same reason.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,453,424 times
Without a roommate situation, you simply are not going to find rent and utilities for under $500. If you do I would be extremely worried about the quality of housing and checking for leaks (air and water,) mold and pests like ants.

The cheapest apartments in the area that I know of are in Beaverton off of Hall and Cedar Hills. That area is also coincidently the biggest crime zone in Beaverton.

There are other apartments along Hocken/Milikian which are slightly better, but most of the rental units are starting at $595 and go up from there. The ones down at the end, Country Oaks are the worse of the lot and in bad shape, but the others look to have been better taken care of over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland