Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM

93 posts, read 187,263 times

Advertisements

I will be heading out to Portland, Oregon at the beginning of March for almost a week. What would be the "must-see/do" things in the city? I was thinking of checking out one of the museums and definitely gonna check out the market on the Saturday Im there. Any other suggestions/info would be much appreciated!!! The reason for the trip is that Im thinking of moving to either Portland or Vancouver (WA) and want to check out the area. I also am planning to drive up to Seattle for one day to check it out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 12:53 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,032 times
Have you heard about Portland's Food Cart phenomenon? RV trailers being turned in kitchens and serve food out a window. Same food safety and handling standards as traditional brick and mortar restaurants. Think about it as a shopping mall 'food-court', but outdoors, and maybe not as much seating area.
http://www.foodcartsportland.com/

I suggest you take in a lunch. You only have maybe 200 carts to choose from. BTW: a group of food carts is called a pod, and depending on your adventurism, on the above linked site, check out the 'map' pages just for the downtown area.

So, anyway, here is the question: Other cities have looked at the Portland phenomenon, like Seattle, and decided it looked "Trashy" or "No-Class" and have taken measures to avoid the spread of such raw entrepreneurial business survival of the best food for the cost let the consumer pick the winners and losers.

What do you think of the Food Carts from a visitors stand point? Something Pro for Portland, or a detraction (as in ME? Roach-Coach?)

Aside: don't forget Voodoo Doughnuts:
Top 10 Best Places for Donuts: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com
Bon Appetit Magazine last spring, Voodoo among top 10.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 AM

7 posts, read 14,653 times
That just made my jaw drop, and wonder if I should lengthen my trip just to eat. Are any of those carts open on weekends, though? I noticed most only said Monday-Friday....

Old 02-12-2011, 06:08 AM

To me, I feel like the previous poster....sounds really interesting!!! I used to live in PR and was used to seeing lines of street vendors so it sounds cool to me. Great way to get people together....makes it feel more like a community. I like the idea but ill have to check out those links you posted to see how it looks but I will want to check it out in person once im there!!! Im also gonna look for that Voodoo Donuts...I had read about it so I am gonna map it out so I don't miss it! Thanks for sharing the info!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnie78 View Post
That just made my jaw drop, and wonder if I should lengthen my trip just to eat. Are any of those carts open on weekends, though? I noticed most only said Monday-Friday....
Yes!

Albeit it seems to be waffles, and sandwiches during the day. And on Saturday nite a lot of high carb, high fat, guy junk food carts are open late nite for the bar-crowd.
http://www.foodcartsportland.com/cat...eekends-hours/
(please note the very fine print link to the next page way at the bottom, you can easily miss it.)

Late night noshing:
http://www.foodcartsportland.com/201...-weekend-nosh/

This cart is very highly recommended for sandwich sharing with a date / hookup whatever after 11:00 pm Saturday nite**:
http://www.foodcartsportland.com/200...-a-sandwiches/
These sandwiches feeds two easily. And it might help if you are a bit drunk to even consider a large Bacon-Cheese-FF potatoes which will blow your diet all the way to Seattle. This cart is located in Downtown, near Old Town. And for desert (?) Voodoo doughnuts is only a couple of blocks away (open all nite.)

**As recommended to me by someone else. I am way too old to be up and drinking in bars past 11:00pm on a Saturday nite. Yeah, that's it, its my friend's recommendation......

Also on the side bar of the web page, look for pastries and baked goods link. A few carts are open earlier on Saturday nite with sweet / fruit turn-over type pies. Your basic sugar / carb fix for a Saturday nite.
http://www.foodcartsportland.com/200...fies-pie-cart/
these are fried, not baked, pies just to make them even more decadent.
(Yes, you can hear people muttering the biblical phase "Get thee behind ME" as they divert their eyes and quickly walk past this cart.)

Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 AM

181 posts, read 455,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Yes!
This cart is very highly recommended for sandwich sharing with a date / hookup whatever after 11:00 pm Saturday nite**:
http://www.foodcartsportland.com/200...-a-sandwiches/
These sandwiches feeds two easily. And it might help if you are a bit drunk to even consider a large Bacon-Cheese-FF potatoes which will blow your diet all the way to Seattle. This cart is located in Downtown, near Old Town. And for desert (?) Voodoo doughnuts is only a couple of blocks away (open all nite.)

**As recommended to me by someone else. I am way too old to be up and drinking in bars past 11:00pm on a Saturday nite. Yeah, that's it, its my friend's recommendation......
This made me laugh, Phil. I mostly lurk around here, but I always enjoy your posts. I'll be in Portland again next week for a job interview, so I will have to check this cart out. In a similar vein, Voodoo Doughnuts has something called the "Tex-Ass." My boyfriend and I, both hailing from Texas, couldn't help but order it. Well, we certainly felt like "Tex-Asses" when they brought it out... it was the size of a dinner plate! (Tasty, though!)

Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Thank-you for your kind words...

and best of luck with the job interview!!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:26 PM

181 posts, read 455,672 times
Thank you very much!

And to the OP - In addition to the Saturday Market (which is also open on Sundays BTW), you might want to check out the Farmers Market on the South Park Blocks. If you're into that sort of thing, you will not be disappointed! I also recommend the "Best of Portland" walking tour (google "Portland walking tours").

Old 02-12-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
Thank you very much!

And to the OP - In addition to the Saturday Market (which is also open on Sundays BTW), you might want to check out the Farmers Market on the South Park Blocks. If you're into that sort of thing, you will not be disappointed! I also recommend the "Best of Portland" walking tour (google "Portland walking tours").
I love outdoor markets so Im definitely going to check it out....thanks for letting me know it is also on Sundays. I will check out the walking tour you mentioned....Looks like I will definitely have to check out Voodoo Donuts!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times
Portland Farmer's Market (in the Park Blocks) doesn't begin until March 19. I doubt any others will be open until after that.

The Cartopia cart pod at SE 12th & Hawthorne seems to be the real late-night hot spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: