Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,152,752 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I have catered in Brooklyn, NY and now I am thinking of the possibility of relocating. I was considering bringing my recipe for authentic NY style Knishes with gourmet fillings and wondering if Portlanders have a yen for such an old world treat. I'm aware that there is Jewish deli available in Portland, but this would be strictly knishes with a variety of fillings (organic of course). I have been reading about the food carts in Portland and maybe that would be the place to start. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:40 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,296,866 times
that's KNISH

Old 07-18-2007, 06:51 PM

Hi nancy thereader,

I am Jewish and from Brooklyn, so obviuously that was a typo. Thanks though. So, can Portland use a really great KNISH?????

Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,035,413 times
You know who I'd pester for an opinion ...

Xavier the head chef at the Benson.

Maybe call and ask when he has 5 minutes to spare as a professional courtesy, to give you a quick opinion on whether it would "fly" and what part of town to start. He's been around for a long time and is at the top of the "food chain" of chefs in Portland.

He even lived in a boat near downtown, as well as his SW Portland home, so he knows the territory on the streets very well.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:51 PM

mdvaden,
Thanks for the advice and the info. I'll be visiting in August, I'll try to speak with him then.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:09 AM

700 posts, read 2,597,781 times
Hey sickonyc..

I sent you a private message about your idea

Old 07-20-2007, 06:18 AM

8,818 posts, read 21,296,866 times
Unhappy hello sickofny

I did know that YOU knew that. When I went to school in Madison, Wisconsin where
they had one Jewish deli, people would pronounce the "k" in knish , even those who worked in the store. And, how about the pizza in Wisconsin ????
I am soooo tired of New York & Brooklyn & have even been looking at places nearby Portland in case I can not afford the city itself . Many people say that Portland is like San Francisco was thirty years ago. When are you planning to move ?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:45 AM

nancy thereader,

Hi, I'm visiting Portland for the first time late August. I'm keeping ny fingers crossed that I get a good vibe. I have done catering besides being an aspiring collage artist. I have this great old world "knish" recipe that you cannot even get in Brooklyn anymore, believe me, I've done the research. I just feel that if you bring something like that to a place that has not had it, it might fly. Where in Brooklyn are you? I'm near the Sheepshead Bay area (YUK). Have you been to Portland yet? By the way, I certainly pronounce the "K" in knish. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:50 AM

5chevin5

I sent a repy to your private message. Did you get it?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,788,554 times
I know this is an Oregon thread, however, I just wanted to say that when I lived in the Berkeley area of California, that there was a guy who made and sold knishes on the side. Of course, there were more ex-New Yorkers there, but they were great -- he had all sorts of fillings, too (this was quite a while ago).

I think the only problem you'd have is getting people to understand what a knish is. They're delicious, however, most people out west probably wouldn't know (unless they're originally from the northeast). Maybe you could call them a Jewish empenada or something -- I'm serious -- at least to get people to try them.

I once had a small health food business in Seattle, and I remember meeting this black guy from Philadelphia who had a BBQ stand and he knew the problem of the west -- his saying was, "If it tastes nasty, they won't buy it." Bottom line, taste. Second bottom line, making people aware of them, but putting a western twist on it so they'll try them. That's just IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland