Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,660,665 times

Advertisements

A samosa is an Indian appetizer--usually kind of a pastry shell with potatoes, carrots, peas and spices, sometimes with various meats.

I used to collect tintypes but they're so much harder to find now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:03 PM

216 posts, read 912,978 times
They sound delicious! I have to try it now.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,858 times
Default There Is No Shatzkin Kinish Receipe Out There

FYI---I am the daughter of the real Shatzkin Kinish of Coney Island. The receipe remains a closely guarded secret within the family.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:36 PM

8,835 posts, read 21,400,511 times
Wouldn't the daughter of the Knish family know how to spell KNISH, then?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,858 times
Smile Typo Error

Dear Nancy did you ever make a typo in a word sorry. I do not have to prove to you I am the daughter of a Shatzkin. You can ask me anything about my family from Seagate Coney Island to present day. I have meet my great grandma Ethel I need to prove nothing to you. All those message boards claiming they knew my dad or the family receipe are all inncorret thus far. I worked as a little girl for my dad in Coney Island to all the stores he built in shopping malls from Brooklyn to Washington to Florida. Nancy prove me wrong that I am not the daughter.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:01 PM

411 posts, read 1,607,273 times
[quote=Wisteria;1111574]Ah, so you see, I have become acclimated to the West! My thick skin is eroding!

Actually, though, since I don't live in Portland, and I'm not up-to-date on what's popular and what's not there, I really shouldn't be giving opinions of that nature, anyway. Those of you up there would know what would work best anyway. It's just an interesting topic to me.

I live in Limbo now anyway -- part of me still has that eastcoast vibe, and the other part is westcoast -- I've got a foot in both worlds -- and I tend to lose my balance sometimes!

Wisteria, I read your posts with great amusement. I too am a NY transplant and just got back from a week of visiting family. It is waayyyy different from the west. People are on their toes all the time (survival, doncha know) and are quick and snappy. It takes me a day or two to re-acclimate myself but get the hang of it. Then I get back to Ashland and have to stop being in a hurry.

We're looking at a move to Portland in a year or two because Ashland is just too small and quiet. It's a lovely place but... snore... My husband won't go back east and isn't interested in moving back to SoCal, where we lived for the past five years, so Portland is now in the running.

Keep up with the NY insight, already. Livens things up a bit around here. (And why are westerners so quiet compared with northeasterners? I feel like such a loud mouth here but my brother-in-law in NY admonished me to 'come out of my shell'. Oy.)

Besides, I miss the Yankees.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 PM

411 posts, read 1,607,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
oh, dear. A knish is a large potato pancake (baked) w/ onions and (I guess) other secret ingredients thrown in. They really reflect the Lower East Side (Jewish) section of early 20th century NY. I don't think that I have had a really good knish in a long time. You pronounce it k-n-ish . I'm sure you would like them. What's not to like ? (as they would say on the Lower East Side).
Nancy, did you know that the evolution of corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day may have emanated from the Lower East side of NY? When the Irish immigrants couldn't find Irish bacon they substituted what their Jewish neighbors used, which was corned beef and/or brisket. In Ireland, corned beef and cabbage (yuck yuck yuck) is considered an American, um, 'delicacy.' Our Irish-American family eats that stuff every year and every year I hate it.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 PM

8,835 posts, read 21,400,511 times
Well, the English also eat bubbles and squeak and bangers and mash (and warm beer). and haggis (I'll let you google that one)
But, they look pretty healthy to me. At least they have National Health.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:22 PM

268 posts, read 1,200,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Wisteria,

Thanks for the info. Good advice. Maybe it is time for a good old world knish in the west. I'm very finicky about ingredients. In the first place, they would be made with organic ingredients. Besides the old standard potato/onion and kasha, I have a few good ideas for more gourmet fillings. I've done some catering so the food business is not new to me. Look, I really want to get out of NY and I make a mean knish..what the heck. You know what they say, a knish by any other name....
Thanks again and any feedback is appreciated.
I have never had a knish but have heard of them...am not Jewish and am a native Houstonian but as a recent transplant here to Portland I'll be the first in line to taste one!! They sound intriguing.... Good luck!!!!
By the way, what did you think of your trip here???? I'm dying to find out!!

Last edited by babycoleslaw; 09-14-2007 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,039,229 times
Knish is pretty good but it all depends on your taste buds. I personally love Key Lime Pie from Queens, NY. The BEST I've ever had in my life. It's nice to travel and experiment with different cuisines, especially some of the hole in the wall places that offer those hidden jewels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland