Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM

628 posts, read 2,045,632 times

Advertisements

No joke--I think this is the beginning of the end--the Mayans were right. Everything is going to domino effect from this catastrophe until our extinction--and you know what--we brought it all on ourselves. I drive a car afterall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I just finished reading this. Estimates are 1 million gallons of oil leaking per day
This was before the cap but they don't know how much the cap is controlling.

Cap collects some Gulf oil; crude washes into Fla. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100604/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill - broken link)

"Newly disclosed internal Coast Guard documents from the day after the explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon rig indicated that U.S. officials were warning of a leak of 336,000 gallons per day of crude from the well in the event of a complete blowout.

The volume turned out to be much closer to that figure than the 42,000 gallons per day that BP first estimated. Weeks later it was revised to 210,000 gallons. Now, an estimated 500,000 to 1 million gallons of crude is believed to be leaking daily."

Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,905 times
Is Obama a complete idiot or what!!!!!

I mean he said "He in control of this oil spill".............Well WTF get some people out there cleaning and trying to stop the oil from getting on shore.

Were the hell are all the cleaning crews!!!

This is a joke of a clean up!

Ohh and just wait till a hurricane hits down there, OMG.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
There's not much to say that about these new pictures out today, except that they are truly heartbreaking. We are all responsible for this.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs526.ash1/30929_397983675492_7292655492_4767240_5580682_n.jp g (broken link)

Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's understood it's more effective, how much more is debatable. Regardless the underlying problem is very few places in the US you can grow cane.
Sugar can't be grown here, but it can be grown in spades throughout Latin America and it is substantially cheaper then corn...when untariffed.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:50 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
[quote=Zimbochick;14476727]There's not much to say that about these new pictures out today, except that they are truly heartbreaking. We are all responsible for this.

[/quote].....O God......look at the eyes...so innocent...wondering what is happening...why he can't fly...or find fish for his hungry belly......I tell you this tears me apart........I am just beside myself....I'm falling apart watching the suffering...the death...we have to do something...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There's not much to say that about these new pictures out today, except that they are truly heartbreaking. We are all responsible for this.

Looks like Daddy didn't plug the hole yet. I hope he's happy now. Maybe if he looks at this picture he might actually have a real reaction, and it should be anger and embarassment!!

Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
You can't be serious. It's time to admit that the environmental groups were right. No environmental group supports deep water drilling. No environmental group would support BP's decisions to drill without the appropriate control measures in place, such as relief wells.
I didn't say that environmental groups supported deep water drilling, but in opposing shallow water drilling, deep water wells got built instead. We ended up with the greater of two evils instead of allowing shallow water wells to be dug.

Quote:
Let's place blame where it should be. First - BP. BP caused this crisis. They made the horrible decisions that led to what will most likely be the biggest environmental disaster in US history. Next up is the government. If our government had strict regulations on deep water drilling and enforced them, this might have prevented.

Then, while all Americans share the blame for being huge consumers of oil, the "Drill Baby Drill" crowd actively works against transitioning to alternate forms of energy. Who supports transitioning to alternate forms of energy so we can get off our addiction to oil? Environmentalists!
Yes, let's look at where exactly the blame lies. BP for sure, but it wasn't without the White House's blessing. In 2009, BP was granted a "categorical exclusion" by Ken Salazar that allowed the Deepwater Horizon to operate without analysis required by the National Environmental Policy Act.
Quote:
The rhetoric from Limbaugh and Palin is just horrible. It's time for them to admit that they were wrong. Drilling for oil is very risky. We need to do as much as possible to find alternative, clean energies. And, until then, we need our government to be strict watchdogs over the oil industry.
Like not granting categorical exclusions? Yes, agreed.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:25 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Those pictures break my heart. Humans caused this mess. The animals don't deserve to have to pay for our mistakes. God this makes me sick.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Those pictures break my heart. Humans caused this mess. The animals don't deserve to have to pay for our mistakes. God this makes me sick.
...I can't stop crying for them...and what's at stake here...we're doomed here in Florida, once it wraps around the peninsula...it's over...in about 140 days it's projected to do so. These precious creatures......I am crushed...nothing else
matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies