Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:54 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,057,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
WHAT exactly is being done for these creatures? Nothing that I can see. In the past, the flurry of activity to set up the facilities for capture of clean-up of birds and other creatures was apparent. Now, it just seems like they are being ignored and left to die.
You must have selective viewing. I've seen video of many Pelicans being washed. I think they mentioned that they are Louisiana's State bird.

There's not much that can be done about the fish that will be poisoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Financially, yes. As for coordinated the clean-up, containment of oil and the rescue of the creatures effected by the spill...no. The US has the agencies and funds in place already to deal with the latter.
I'm so confused. First of all, you're not much of one for saving the environment.
Secondly, you ARE always about fiscal responsibility. Now, you want the US to pay for this with funds WE've got set aside.

Last night I saw the CEO of BP again on the news. He made the statement that this should not have happened and that BP is solely responsible and wants to clean it up.
He said something to the effect of that they plan to clean it up until it is "like it had never happened".

BP is the one with all the money. Let them take full financial responsibility.

Our government needs to oversee the clean up and make sure it is done.

and, about the mutual funds... that's just too bad !

You conservatives really have screwed up understanding of what matters.

Now, it seems that you're again supporting a "bailout" for an oil company that's losing money due to their reckless business practices.
And, again, the corporation is the one whose been taking record profits. Sounds familiar. Sounds like "conservative logic"...

BP's CEO admitted that it's their responsibility. They're not asking for a government hand out.

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-04-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I've seen video of many Pelicans being washed. I think they mentioned that they are Louisiana's State bird.
The survival rate though is very low..maybe 10% at best.
This is becoming an ecological disaster. Pensacola is reporting red oily blobs washing up on their beaches this morning.

Computer models show it going down around Florida and up the east coast.
This is without any hurricanes.

One hurricane and that oil is washed inland to rivers, lakes, streams; polluting and killing yet more wildlife.

40% of the Gulf is closed to fishing.

We will be effected by this for years, if not decades.
They are still cleaning up from the Exxon Valdez spill.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,716,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I am not blaming anyone. I am simple expressing the reasoning why I believe there are not hoards of environmentalists on the Gulf coast.
Environmentalists contributed to make this catastrophe possible by lobbying against drilling in shallow water where it was safer, thus pushing drilling way offshore. The government gave in to the lobbyists when they should have known better.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:14 AM

Default Brown Pelicans are Louisiana's State Bird....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

The survival rate though is very low..maybe 10% at best.

This is becoming an ecological disaster. Pensacola is reporting red oily blobs washing up on their beaches this morning.

Computer models show it going down around Florida and up the east coast.
This is without any hurricanes.

One hurricane and that oil is washed inland to rivers, lakes, streams; polluting and killing yet more wildlife.

40% of the Gulf is closed to fishing.

We will be effected by this for years, if not decades.

They are still cleaning up from the Exxon Valdez spill.
Yep. Piles of dead fish will be laying on those beaches soon.

I really love brown Pelicans. I lived in Florida for several years.
They are beautiful, peaceful creatures. They loved to hang out around the docks.

They've been on the endangered species list and had just been taken off the list.

That big beak of theirs is able to swoop down and capture fish alive.
How long do you think they'll survive eating poisoned, oil soaked fish???

It's horrible.

Bird rescuers tackle the oil disaster in Louisiana one pelican at a time -

Apparently Sanrene doesn't read USA Today.

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-04-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Yep. Piles of dead fish will be laying on those beaches soon.

I really love brown Pelicans. I lived in Florida for several years. They are beautiful, peaceful creatures. They loved to hang out around the docks.

They've been on the endangered species list and had just been taken off the list.

That big beak of theirs is able to swoop down and capture fish alive. How long do you think they'll survive eating poison, oil soaked fish???

It's horrible.

Bird rescuers tackle the oil disaster in Louisiana one pelican at a time -

Apparently Sanrene doesn't read USA Today.
I too lived in Florida for many years and loved to watch the Pelicans as well..the seagulls not so much.

World Citizen..it's worse than horrible. I can't even think of a word to describe how I feel.

And for someone to blame..why we should all be looking in the mirror.
They gave it to us and we used it and then we demanded more of it.
BP wouldn't even be in business or drilling at that depth if they didn't have people clamoring for it.

And will we change our ways ? Probably not.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,337,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Environmentalists contributed to make this catastrophe possible by lobbying against drilling in shallow water where it was safer, thus pushing drilling way offshore. The government gave in to the lobbyists when they should have known better.
Sadly, that's true. The environmental groups lobbied to keep drilling away from areas that were MUCH more suitable and pushed the drilling out to areas that are so deep that we can't even get down there to plug this gusher. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. And for those who will try to make me out to be anti-environment, well that couldn't be further from the truth. I've worked on many environmental issues locally and the environment is something I hold dearly to my heart. This whole catastrophe breaks my heart for all the animals and the economic toll on all the people whose livelihoods are decimated. This just sucks.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,160,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Sadly, that's true. The environmental groups lobbied to keep drilling away from areas that were MUCH more suitable and pushed the drilling out to areas that are so deep that we can't even get down there to plug this gusher. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. And for those who will try to make me out to be anti-environment, well that couldn't be further from the truth. I've worked on many environmental issues locally and the environment is something I hold dearly to my heart. This whole catastrophe breaks my heart for all the animals and the economic toll on all the people whose livelihoods are decimated. This just sucks.
If it were not for these evil people (environmentalists) there would be nothing left to call wildlife, eco-systems or natural resources. The unrestrained ravaging of our planet lays at the feet of the corporations and people such as yourself...the naysayers to how far we could have advanced with alternative energy sources. Fuel efficiency and independence could have been achieved a long time ago if everybody were as ecologically aware and responsible as the environmentalist people that you unjustly and ridiculously blame for this horrific tragedy.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Default Alternative Energy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I too lived in Florida for many years and loved to watch the Pelicans as well..the seagulls not so much.

World Citizen..it's worse than horrible. I can't even think of a word to describe how I feel.

And for someone to blame..why we should all be looking in the mirror.
They gave it to us and we used it and then we demanded more of it.
BP wouldn't even be in business or drilling at that depth if they didn't have people clamoring for it.

And will we change our ways ? Probably not.
Yes. It seems that they're still not getting it.

We should have been working on alternate technology for powering automobiles for the last 30 years or more instead of building Hummers and finding ways to build gasoline engines that go faster...

I was just a little girl but I remember gasoline being rationed way back then.... some 30 years ago.
We're not talking about the Great Depression, either. It must have been sometime in the 60's or early 70's. I was really young but I clearly remember it.
We're talking about people sitting in lines at gas stations to purchase their ration of gasoline so they could drive their cars.

We need to develop engines that will run on ethanol and find other ways to create our own fuel.

Developing alternative energy should have been a our country's number one priority for the last 30 years or more.

Imagine that. New technology.

Imagine what would happen if American Farmers were being paid to grow instead of being subsidized to do nothing.
American truckers would make money hauling their produce (or whatever) to factories that made cleaner fuels...

and then American people would be paid to work in American businesses....

Wow. What a concept!

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-04-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,337,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
If it were not for these evil people (environmentalists) there would be nothing left to call wildlife, eco-systems or natural resources. The unrestrained ravaging of our planet lays at the feet of the corporations and people such as yourself...the naysayers to how far we could have advanced with alternative energy sources. Fuel efficiency and independence could have been achieved a long time ago if everybody were as ecologically aware and responsible as the environmentalist people that you unjustly and ridiculously blame for this horrific tragedy.
Don't be so short-sighted. All that the environmental groups accomplished (in this case) was to push the drilling into areas that are much more difficult to manage should a catastrophe occur... which places us exactly where we are right now with a huge leak and no way to plug it. They inadvertently allowed the greater of two evils.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,127,556 times
Quote:
We need to develop engines that will run on ethanol and find other ways to create our own fuel.
Ethanol is abject failure both economically and environmentally.

The reason alternative fuels have not taken off is because of their enormous cost, it's plain and simple. Being able to produce cheap energy that can compete with fossil fuels is an enormous plum to pick, why would you think no one is trying to achieve that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies