Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:15 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,034,990 times

Advertisements

Why is DADT needed anyway? The only reason I can see is because there must be too many homophobes in the military who think "gay" means "wants to molest heteros." i.e. because of ignorance. Ignorance that hurts the military by sending home valuable personnel because of a bigoted hangup people have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,218,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Why is DADT needed anyway? The only reason I can see is because there must be too many homophobes in the military who think "gay" means "wants to molest heteros." i.e. because of ignorance. Ignorance that hurts the military by sending home valuable personnel because of a bigoted hangup people have.
It was a compromise measure to allow gays into the military, who had up until that time been prohibited from joining unless they outright lied about sexual orientation.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,755,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
It was a compromise measure to allow gays into the military, who had up until that time been prohibited from joining unless they outright lied about sexual orientation.
And with DADT, they're still having to live a lie! They're having to be careful in the extreme that no one ever sees them doing anything that might "out" them. Because as soon as they are 'outed' they are removed from military service. It's way past time to remove this so-called compromise and, in fact, it should never have been instituted in the first place. Gays should have simply been allowed to enlist and serve, without the ridiculous restrictions imposed by DADT.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,918,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I know exactly what was said and I'm saying that you are just repeating psycho-babble opinion. Buy into if you so desire. I don't.

And please, don't waste your time posting a list of "experts". If people would only start doing their own thinking we could make great strides.
So you chose to live in ignorance and refuse to look at proven facts....nice. No need to further this debate with that type of thinking. Just don't be surprised when people call you out on your unenlightenment.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,812,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthnbell View Post
Exactly!

You will find that alot soldiers support "dadt" simply because...they dont care. They dont want to know and dont care to know. When the guys are deployed they are living in very close quarters...living together, open showers, etc...most just would rather not know whether the guy showering next to them is gay or not. It isnt anything against gays personally, they just dont want to know. What is wrong with that? Ever heard of "tmi"? Also, you have to think about the ramifications. We lived in family housing on post, what kind of issues are going to brought up there, if a gay couple is allowed to live on post (unmarried) why cant a straight unmarried couple...not to mention Tricare, and how is all of that gonna work in states that dont recognize gay marriage?? And if they are going to accomodate gays, why not transgenders as well? And will they be housed with the females or the males?

Look, dont ask, dont tell means "we dont care, dont know, & dont want to know". It doesnt mean that they cant serve, it just means that noone wants to know which way their door swings.
I could almost agree with your statements about TMI."Dont want to know".But the fact is that the military is ACTIVELY getting rid of it's soldiers and Airmen in critical areas.In some cases the units do not have a problem with openly gays,but are usually forced to do something based on "speculation" rather than and admission.That I find very Un-American.Its like Mccarthy-ism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies