Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Cut them off right now! ......... ! 40M?! I had no idea there were that many black people in America! Make them all get jobs!! We can't afford this! Not with my tax dollars. No, hell no!!!!!
That's not right for you to assume all 40M on foodstamps are black.
If you look at the percentages by state, a lot of the states with high percentages of food stamp recipients are states with low black population.

If you take a look at the "US Department Of Agriculture Link Below", it lists the follow statistics as of 2009:
-41 percent of participants are white; 36 percent are African-American, non-Hispanic; 18 percent are Hispanic; 3 percent are Asian, 2 percent are Native American, and 1 percent are of unknown race or ethnicity.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Take care & try not to be so harsh towards one race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
How many are employed at slave wages?
Raise the minimum wage and jail anyone caught employing illegals
The only thing that would do would cause business to increase prices to make up the difference they had to pay for payroll

How about a person increasing their skill level to increase their pay.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What part don't you understand? You're defending employers who illegally hire the illegal immigrants.... why?

Hmm when did I say that?

Far as I am concerned....Kickem all out and you can go with them

Old 05-12-2010, 04:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Wow the lack of comprehension here leaves me baffled. The only thing that surpasses it is the lack of compassion. People are illegal for being so irresponsible as to wind up on Food Stamps and should be deported? I guess maybe next time people will make sure not to accept jobs where they may potenially be laid off without notice in the middle of a recession.

Maybe you all should tell us what sector you work in since you're ovbiously recession proof; help the rest of the country out a lil bit.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
That's not right for you to assume all 40M on foodstamps are black.
If you look at the percentages by state, a lot of the states with high percentages of food stamp recipients are states with low black population.

If you take a look at the "US Department Of Agriculture Link Below", it lists the follow statistics as of 2009:
-41 percent of participants are white; 36 percent are African-American, non-Hispanic; 18 percent are Hispanic; 3 percent are Asian, 2 percent are Native American, and 1 percent are of unknown race or ethnicity.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Take care & try not to be so harsh towards one race.
The numbers you listed are not as of 2009. I used the link you posted to find the most recent SNAP report - it indicates the following breakdown for the most recent year available (FY 2008):

White - 32.8%
African American - 20.8%
Hispanic - 9.0%
Asian - 2.3%
Native American - 3.8%
Race Unknown - 24.9%

"New codes to allow reporting of multiple races were implemented beginning in April 2007. We have grouped the new codes together to form general race
and ethnicity categories. Reporting of race and ethnicity is voluntary under the new format and was missing for 26 percent of participants in FY 2008. Because of these changes, FY 2008 race and ethnicity distributions are not comparable to distributions for years prior to FY 2007."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/Pub...cteristics.pdf

What is interesting that the category "race unknown" leapt starting 2007, due to, "New values indicating race and ethnicity were implemented in April 2007 to allow participants to report multiple races. We have grouped some of these
new values together to form general race and ethnicity categories. Because of these changes, 2007 race and ethnicity distributions are not comparable to
distributions for previous years."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/Pub...cteristics.pdf

In the year before (FY 2007) the numbers were:

White - 45.8%
African American - 30.9%
Hispanic - 13.3%
Asian - 2.4%
Native American - 1.4%
Race Unknown - 0.4%

US population distribution by race/ethnicity:
Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You mentioned that one could look at data by state - can you share that link too? I wouldn't mind seeing how my state compares.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Wow the lack of comprehension here leaves me baffled. The only thing that surpasses it is the lack of compassion. People are illegal for being so irresponsible as to wind up on Food Stamps and should be deported? I guess maybe next time people will make sure not to accept jobs where they may potenially be laid off without notice in the middle of a recession.

Maybe you all should tell us what sector you work in since you're ovbiously recession proof; help the rest of the country out a lil bit.
I am pretty sure the post below is the one you were referring to. And I'm pretty sure that was said sarcastically...right, Leisesturm? I can't imagine that you were really advocating deportation of folks who rely on government assistance. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
They are ALL illegal for being so irresponsible as to wind up on Food Stamps. Mandatory deportation for anyone that winds up leeching off the Federal Government. Send them to... .. I don't care where, just get them off my dime!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Wow..I've started checking "other" on all forms asking for race. I guess many others doing it as well...24.9%.

If we all started doing that ..checking "other" then boy oh boy would that do some nasty skewing in government reports. No more discrimination or profiling..eh ?

100% of the people receiving food stamps were of "Race unknown".
I think that would be a GOOD thing.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM

180 posts, read 188,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The only thing that would do would cause business to increase prices to make up the difference they had to pay for payroll

How about a person increasing their skill level to increase their pay.

Ok, 40 million people increase their skill level..now where are the new 40 million highly paid jobs for them going to come from? Thin air?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GALiberal View Post
Ok, 40 million people increase their skill level..now where are the new 40 million highly paid jobs for them going to come from? Thin air?
The ones today with the increased skill levels can't even find jobs.

It's not a matter of "increasing your skills" anymore folks. The middle class jobs have been offshored and turned into slave wage jobs in countries like China, India, Malaysia. Those WERE middle class jobs with middle class salaries..but no more.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
If you are going to break it down by race you have to look at what percentage of each race receives foodstamps. Obviously there are far more white people so the overall number will be higher, but the percentage will be lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies