Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I seen the story, the story is wrong, the report shows it went to 46%.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...0bbcwspoll.pdf

Not at all unhappy about it, just correcting the errors..
I was replying to the other poster who seemed unhappy about US reputation improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 AM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Queston. Do the countries where Obama bowed to their leaders like us more or less?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,399,050 times
Quote:
Had tax cuts been enacted rather than spending we'd probably be celebrating a 7% unemployment and 500,000 new manufacturing jobs. Keep your 17K, I want real jobs with a real recovery, not an artificial one created by government which cant be maintained.
That's pure speculation. Furthermore, drastic tax cuts, too, would be unsustainable.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
From a 800,000 jobs per month loss in December 2008 to a 167,000 job GAIN in March. That's a big turnaround.
its called a saturation point..

We need 150,000 jobs a month just to maintain the status quo on the unemployment rate, while the link discusses things like

The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks and over) in-
creased by 414,000 over the month to 6.5 million. In March, 44.1 percent of
unemployed persons were jobless for 27 weeks or more. (See table A-12.)

Among the marginally attached, there were 1.0 million discouraged workers in
March, up by 309,000 from a year earlier.

Temporary help services added 40,000 jobs in March. Since September 2009, tempor-ary help services employment has risen by 313,000.

Employment in federal government was up over the month, reflecting the hiring of 48,000 temporary workers for the decennial census.

In March, financial activities shed 21,000 jobs, with the largest losses occur-
ring in insurance carriers and related activities (-9,000). Employment in the
information industry decreased by 12,000.

In March, average hourly earnings of all employees on private nonfarm payrolls
fell by 2 cents, or 0.1 percent,

I'm sorry but people moving from full time jobs to part time, and earning less, while the financial markets continue to collapse and the dollar continues to fall is NOT positive news. There is a 30% increase in individuals who just gave up looking for work. Look at the OVERALL picture, people are working where they can get it to earn less to buy less.. Its NOT positive.. Again, its STABLE..

Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That's pure speculation. Furthermore, drastic tax cuts, too, would be unsustainable.
1) There hasnt been a tax cut in history designed to stimulate, which hasnt resulted in economic stimulation. Find me one if you disagree.
2) Which is why Obama made tax cuts such a huge part of the stimulus for the poor. But the poor dont pay taxes, thereby it doesnt stimulate.
3) Which is why they are discussing extending the Bush tax cuts
4) Tax cuts are not unsustainable, you need to cut spending to coincide with it, which is why the action wasnt taken. We know the government cant cut spending, can they?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 AM

3,583 posts, read 3,087,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Queston. Do the countries where Obama bowed to their leaders like us more or less?
Did the country who sent 15 terrorists to attack the USA on 9/11 like us more or less after Bush kissed their leader on the mouth?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/2...10b568f7c7.jpg

Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 AM

533 posts, read 318,908 times
Quote:
I seen the story, the story is wrong, the report shows it went to 46%.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...0bbcwspoll.pdf

Not at all unhappy about it, just correcting the errors..
You "seen" the story???

Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
1) There hasnt been a tax cut in history designed to stimulate, which hasnt resulted in economic stimulation. Find me one if you disagree.
2) Which is why Obama made tax cuts such a huge part of the stimulus for the poor. But the poor dont pay taxes, thereby it doesnt stimulate.
3) Which is why they are discussing extending the Bush tax cuts
4) Tax cuts are not unsustainable, you need to cut spending to coincide with it, which is why the action wasnt taken. We know the government cant cut spending, can they?
I got a tax cut, and I am not poor. Why do you say the cuts were only for the poor? You think anyone earning less that 250K is poor?

But then again, tax cuts have nothing to do with the topic.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,490,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I could care less if the world likes us. What's to like anyway?
What's to like about us? Good question.

Quote:
Bowing before foreign dignitarys'?
?

Quote:
Being threatened that our economy will collapse if we don't pass universal healthcare?
Ah, which foreign country did that?

Quote:
Becoming a nation of entitled depandants?
Which foreign country did that?

Quote:
Being so politically correct that self expression is prohibited?
Which foreign country did that?

Quote:
Opening the flood gates of immigration to delute our populous with third world benefit recipients?
Which foreign country taught you to write things like "delute our populous"?

Quote:
How can other nations respect us when we don't respect ourselves enough to kick the living crap out of those responsible for 9/11 and their supporters?
Well, Bush was supposed to be doing that for 7 1/2 years, are you agreeing that he failed?

Quote:
What's to like about placating special interest groups instead of serving the majority?
What defines the majority? What majority?

Quote:
Why should a nations' opinion mean anything to us when over 50% of our population doesn't contribute to the tax base?
That sentence could read: "Why should I care about the neighbors' opinion about me crapping in their front yard when my kid isn't doing his homework?" and make exactly as much sense.

Quote:
Who could like a country that strives to create diversity to the point that "united" is just a word without meaning?
It seems all your words are without meaning. If you took about half hour's worth of the top RW radio hosts and jumbled all their words up at random, the result would read something like your post.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
Quote:
Your telling me the unemployment rate is dropping? I thought it was rather stable. Do you have ANYTHING to back it up because not even Obama is making that claim!

Ahh right.. $1T spent on 17,000 new jobs.. We should be all celebrating at the math on that equation.. But, lets discuss facts shall we.. manufacturing increased because the dollar decreased.. Exports are chepeaper.. So while you celebrate, excuse me for puking because a falling dollar is NOT good, but you go ahead and ignore this if you wish..

Do you have a clue what a saturation point is? Thats where unemployment currently is. You cant unemploy anymore in this country. We cant lay off police, teachers, fire fighters, military personnel, government employees, etc. At some point unemployment HAS to stabilize and its more due to the fact that companies CANT lay off anymore individuals and remain open.

Do you know what the under employment rate is currently? Its even sadder than the unemployment rate..

Go ahead and celebrate, I'll withhold the partying until there is reason to be happy, and 10% unemployment isnt even close.. Had tax cuts been enacted rather than spending we'd probably be celebrating a 7% unemployment and 500,000 new manufacturing jobs. Keep your 17K, I want real jobs with a real recovery, not an artificial one created by government which cant be maintained.
I never said anything about unemployment. That is supposed to linger around 8-9% into 2011. But, the economy is adding new jobs and not shedding jobs. It's also recovering a lot faster than experts expected due in large part to Obama's policies. So...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies