Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,200,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
For the first time since the annual poll began in 2005, America's influence in the world is now seen as more positive than negative
Thats not what the story says..
40% view us as positive, 50% view us negative..
negative > positive.

Duplicate thread, https://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/953192-world-warming-us-under-obama-2.html#post13801096
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, if YOU would have looked at the facts you would have realized that the trend didn't start under Bush and that the poster to which you were referring was mistaken. But, it's easier to think we're all mindless sheep.
Actually it did start under Bush.. Obama didnt take office till 2008..
BBC News - World warming to US under Obama, BBC poll suggests

Can you say baaaaaaa....

Old 04-19-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Have you been following the economy at all? You're trying to tell me we're still shedding almost 800,000 jobs a month?
Your telling me the unemployment rate is dropping? I thought it was rather stable. Do you have ANYTHING to back it up because not even Obama is making that claim!
Quote:
17,000 new manufacturing jobs. Perhaps Obama's crisis spending wasn't misguided afterall.
Ahh right.. $1T spent on 17,000 new jobs.. We should be all celebrating at the math on that equation.. But, lets discuss facts shall we.. manufacturing increased because the dollar decreased.. Exports are chepeaper.. So while you celebrate, excuse me for puking because a falling dollar is NOT good, but you go ahead and ignore this if you wish..

Do you have a clue what a saturation point is? Thats where unemployment currently is. You cant unemploy anymore in this country. We cant lay off police, teachers, fire fighters, military personnel, government employees, etc. At some point unemployment HAS to stabilize and its more due to the fact that companies CANT lay off anymore individuals and remain open.

Do you know what the under employment rate is currently? Its even sadder than the unemployment rate..

Go ahead and celebrate, I'll withhold the partying until there is reason to be happy, and 10% unemployment isnt even close.. Had tax cuts been enacted rather than spending we'd probably be celebrating a 7% unemployment and 500,000 new manufacturing jobs. Keep your 17K, I want real jobs with a real recovery, not an artificial one created by government which cant be maintained.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:30 AM

3,590 posts, read 3,093,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
negative > positive.

Duplicate thread, https://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/953192-world-warming-us-under-obama-2.html#post13801096
No, that is NOT what the story says.

From the actual report:

"While positive views of the United States increased in most countries polled, the most significant increases were in Germany (up from 18% in 2009 to 39% this year), in Russia (up from 7% to 25%), in Portugal (up from 43% to 57%) and in Chile (up from 42% to 55%) with negative perceptions also falling significantly.

The only countries where perceptions of the United States became more negative overall were Turkey (where the proportion with positive perceptions of the United States fell from 21 per cent to 13 per cent and negative perceptions increased from 63 to 70 per cent), and in India (where positive perceptions dipped from 43 per cent to 39 per cent and negative views increased from 20 to 28 per cent).

The only two countries to have majorities with negative views of the United States are Turkey (70%) and Pakistan (52%). Russia is also quite negative (50%)."

Old 04-19-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Your telling me the unemployment rate is dropping? I thought it was rather stable. Do you have ANYTHING to back it up because not even Obama is making that claim!
Employment Situation Summary

Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
No, that is NOT what the story says.

From the actual report:

"While positive views of the United States increased in most countries polled, the most significant increases were in Germany (up from 18% in 2009 to 39% this year), in Russia (up from 7% to 25%), in Portugal (up from 43% to 57%) and in Chile (up from 42% to 55%) with negative perceptions also falling significantly.

The only countries where perceptions of the United States became more negative overall were Turkey (where the proportion with positive perceptions of the United States fell from 21 per cent to 13 per cent and negative perceptions increased from 63 to 70 per cent), and in India (where positive perceptions dipped from 43 per cent to 39 per cent and negative views increased from 20 to 28 per cent).

The only two countries to have majorities with negative views of the United States are Turkey (70%) and Pakistan (52%). Russia is also quite negative (50%)."
Your are discussing the differences in perception this year over last, while the OP is discussing ACTUAL perceptions. They are not the same thing

But, I do note the story only listed the average positive rating while not listing the average negative rating. When one goes to the actual report, it does go into further detail and does say the totals which are
46% positive, and 34% negative, so the story doesnt support the poll report. (they claim 40% positive)

To go further into the story
It shows that Germany, Russia, Portugal, Chile were up far more substantial than america, while then going on to credit "Obama effect" for our improvement, meaning they credit Obama here, but have no rationality for these other countries. More than likely its a result of our national stabilizing economicaly.

Its an interesting poll none the less http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...0bbcwspoll.pdf

Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
negative > positive.
It is a direct quote form the article. Sorry. Positive view has gone up from 28% to 40%.

Are you unhappy about it?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a direct quote form the article. Sorry. Positive view has gone up from 28% to 40%.

Are you unhappy about it?
I seen the story, the story is wrong, the report shows it went to 46%.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...0bbcwspoll.pdf

Not at all unhappy about it, just correcting the errors..

Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
That doesnt say unemployment is going down, it actually supports what I said which is that we stabilized..

In March, the number of unemployed persons was little changed at 15.0 million, and the unemployment rate remained at 9.7 percent. (See table A-1.)

Thanks for taking the time to validate the accuracy of my position...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
That doesnt say unemployment is going down, it actually supports what I said which is that we stabilized..

In March, the number of unemployed persons was little changed at 15.0 million, and the unemployment rate remained at 9.7 percent. (See table A-1.)

Thanks for taking the time to validate the accuracy of my position...

From a 800,000 jobs per month loss in December 2008 to a 167,000 job GAIN in March. That's a big turnaround.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies