Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,173 times

Advertisements

I have to travel some for my job. Twice I've checked into hotels where they offered Fox News on the cable line up... but not MSNBC. Now, this is not a waiting room or bar... this is cable in my room. First time it happened I just thought forget about it. The second hotel though it kind of ticked me off and I complained to management about it. MSNBC was available if the hotel wanted to get it as I stayed in a hotel across the street the next time I visited the customer and was able to watch MSNBC. I now ask what the cable line up is before checking into a room. Not just for MSNBC... but also for hockey!

Concerning the waiting room... I can usually take Fox if it's news.... but if it's one of the opinion shows... Fox and Friends (I can't stomach that crew), Hannity or Beck... I'd either leave or ask what's on ESPN. O'Reilly I can watch even though I don't often agree with him.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMaine View Post
The fact that you would give up a good doctor because of his political beliefs is intolerant at best and crazy at worst

I don't have a problem with him refusing to do business with someone because of their political beliefs. Surely he has the right to make such a decision. The problem is his incessant whining about another not sharing his political view and how it is interrupting his perfect little imaginary world he has created for himself.

That is disturbing as this form of thinking is extremely dangerous when it grows in numbers as it is the recipe for oppressive dictation through mob opinion.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM

177 posts, read 304,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Just an obervation- when I walk into any business and they have FOX News on the TV in the business, it really makes me question whether or not I want to do business with them. That tells me this business is owned or managed by somebody that hates our President and is on the far right wing nutcase fringe. I usually go ahead, buy what I want, and leave. But I do think about it but until this week never said anything.
I took my nephew to the dentist and the dentist had FOX News playing on the TV in the waiting room. A waiting room is not like a store where I can be and out quickly. It is a place where I am forced to wait for long periods of time to see the dentist (or doctor). I was a bit offended and I told the receptionist after 10 minutes "I don't mind waiting but I would rather not be subjected to right wing racism and ranting while I am waiting". I asked if the channel could be changed and, to my surprise, she handed me the DirecTV remote and told me to put it on what I wanted!
Well beings there were 2 other people in the waiting room, I did not choose the Speed Channel but I did change it to CNN Headline News. I think everybody appreciated that! BTW I know I mistyped dentist but I cannot edit the headline.
For me the opposite is true. I am less likely to spend my money if CNN is on. If it is MSNBC- I will leave.
I am so glad we live in America and do business where we want. (For now anyway!)

Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Just an obervation- when I walk into any business and they have FOX News on the TV in the business, it really makes me question whether or not I want to do business with them. That tells me this business is owned or managed by somebody that hates our President and is on the far right wing nutcase fringe. I usually go ahead, buy what I want, and leave. But I do think about it but until this week never said anything.
I took my nephew to the dentist and the dentist had FOX News playing on the TV in the waiting room. A waiting room is not like a store where I can be and out quickly. It is a place where I am forced to wait for long periods of time to see the dentist (or doctor). I was a bit offended and I told the receptionist after 10 minutes "I don't mind waiting but I would rather not be subjected to right wing racism and ranting while I am waiting". I asked if the channel could be changed and, to my surprise, she handed me the DirecTV remote and told me to put it on what I wanted!
Well beings there were 2 other people in the waiting room, I did not choose the Speed Channel but I did change it to CNN Headline News. I think everybody appreciated that! BTW I know I mistyped dentist but I cannot edit the headline.
I think it is your right to do business with who you want for whatever reason you want. If Fox news offends you so badly to change dentists then speak with the free market and change.

That said do not ever criticize others for spelling. Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones

Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:

Not sure if you're from the south or not, but I notice this now that I'm back down here, more and more.

I know in Michigan, HLN was left on, most of the time. Thats because its just the headlines, there is no "commentary" which is where Fox usually gets offensive.

But, all of that said, its their business, and most people in the south want to watch Fox News, its just that simple. If you don't like the dentist, I would suggest another one. I can watch Fox News during the day, and I just laugh when they say stupid crap, thats completely untrue. I'd have asked the receptionist if the death panel in the back had decided your nephews fate.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
"It makes my blood pressure go up," she said.
I'd tell her to find another gym.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
and nobody else should be subjected to leftwing propaganda and hate while they are waiting either. The world doesn't revolve around you left wing nuts.
That's right. Works both ways. I vote for Sesame Street for those who have short attention spans, or the History Channel for those who need a lesson or two

rep for you, db!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Patron Asks Gym In Left-leaning Columbia To Tune Out Fox News - Baltimore Sun

Patron Asks Gym In Left-leaning Columbia To Tune Out Fox News
September 25, 2009|By Larry Carson | Larry Carson,larry.carson@baltsun.com
Ann Geddes doesn't want a "fair and balanced" workout. But the 49-year-old worker for a nonprofit agency is having no luck getting the channel changed in front of her favorite rowing machine at a Columbia gym.

The television happens to be tuned permanently to Fox News. Geddes, a liberal Democrat and former legislative aide to a Howard County delegate, said she can't stomach the conservative lineup that appears nightly as she gets her exercise. Even though the sound is off, the words scrolling across the bottom of the screen infuriate her.

Of the 40 large-screen televisions in the general exercise rooms in Columbia's three gyms, three are set to receive Fox.

"There is no way that we can stop showing one channel because of one person," said Phil Nelson, the president of the homeowner's group, in a written response to Geddes' request.

The Fox screen is directly in front of the rowing machine Geddes prefers, though a second one two feet away faces a screen showing NBC. Others broadcast local stations, CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, the Food Network, Discovery Channel and HGTV.
She's got lots of choices. Interesting, that even though the sound is off she just can't keep her eyes off the screen, and can't keep from reading the words scrolling across. She's got a problem. Maybe she should wear blinders. Oh, she's wearing them already! I meant a blindfold.

Oh, and those who are so easily offended - maybe it's a problem you need to work on. You being offended by such mundane and minor things is not someone else's responsibility, or fault.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,953 times
I am not a fan of Fox News (mainly because I don't think it's "news"). That said, I can't really expect everyone else to agree with me everywhere I shop.

Hobby Lobby plays Christian music. Many stores play Christmas carols in November/December. Lots of auto mechanics have posters of pin up girls. The Master's (Augusta National) doesn't allow women members.

To some degree, ALL of these are discriminatory. (Or at least- not inclusive.) But I would NOT go so far as to tell Hobby Lobby they shouldn't play whatever kind of music they want in THEIR stores.

If something bothers me enough- I won't shop there.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
The more I read this thread, the more it appears that liberal-leaning folks appear to always NEED an enemy. Obama can't function without blaming someone else for causing him to have put his attention towards an issue, and the liberals on this thread apparently can't function after they deem the doctor, dentist, or gym a de facto enemy simply because they happen to have a particular news station playing in their waiting room.

Do you guys think on your own, or do you have to have someone present a bump in the road in order for you to realize you have an opinion?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It probably roots out the non-payers, truth be told. lol

Manuel Noriega came out of his hole after being subjected to days and days of AC/DC and Guns N' Roses. Funny how offensive noise can root out the non-desirables lol.

Good observation !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies