Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,937,702 times

Advertisements

Yes, I guess most people who go to jail have not become better people with fewer problems by the time they get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,185,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, I guess most people who go to jail have not become better people with fewer problems by the time they get out.
That is right. Going to jail does not mean they 'get taught a lesson: We need to bring back the ole Arkansas prison gangs. The gangs where they work hard all day and after super the bossman will ask his road crew boss "Any man slack on the job today"? And then the men that have get a whippin with a belt...

Old 04-09-2010, 05:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,645,723 times
Yes, I can see it now....

YouTube - Failure to communicate

Old 04-09-2010, 05:12 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,736,319 times
I have often suggested outsourcing jails for felons serving more than five years. China would be a perfect candidate as they have one of the lowest repeat rates in the world. American rehabilitation is a proven failure. I think the loss of American citizenship and the discipline of a Chinese prison would get much better results. The cost of housing a prisoners in a Chinese prison inclusive of transportation would be far less than paying for the same incarceration in the states.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:33 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,645,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I have often suggested outsourcing jails for felons serving more than five years. China would be a perfect candidate as they have one of the lowest repeat rates in the world. American rehabilitation is a proven failure. I think the loss of American citizenship and the discipline of a Chinese prison would get much better results. The cost of housing a prisoners in a Chinese prison inclusive of transportation would be far less than paying for the same incarceration in the states.

How about a Turkish prison? Should work like a charm!

YouTube - Midnight Express The Movie

BTW - do you really think another country would agree to take on our worse felons as citizens of their own? You indicated that they should also lose their American citizenship....just a couple of minor details to iron out in this otherwise brilliant plan.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,937,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
That is right. Going to jail does not mean they 'get taught a lesson: We need to bring back the ole Arkansas prison gangs. The gangs where they work hard all day and after super the bossman will ask his road crew boss "Any man slack on the job today"? And then the men that have get a whippin with a belt...
I am not so sure that is the solution
Actually I like the new intelligent approaches, like entrusting prisoners with baby animals. That works better than any shrink therapy or violent punishment.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:37 PM

968 posts, read 1,046,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Just deport all the non-citizen criminals back to their own country and that would reduce the prison population by at least 30-35%.
How would deporting the 6-7% of non-citizens that make up the US prison population reduce the prison population by 30-35%???

Old 04-12-2010, 01:48 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,947,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am not so sure that is the solution
Actually I like the new intelligent approaches, like entrusting prisoners with baby animals. That works better than any shrink therapy or violent punishment.
I don't have a problem with this approach being used for non violent types but for gang bangers, child molestors, killers and other predators nothing short of execution will ever work. At the very least, they need to be confined in supermax conditions for the rest of their life.

Not only does this approach keep a violent offendor away fromt he rest of us but it's also justice. Eye for an eye. It's simple common sense. I'm pretty liberal on social issues but on justice I'm to the right of Ted Nugent.

This whole mindset of trying to reason and empathize with Charles Manson types just drives me crazy.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:55 PM

533 posts, read 320,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
lol so many fascists on this board
Indeed there are!! fascists and saddists!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:59 PM

533 posts, read 320,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Oh, so you like the idea of torture......outsource those folks so they can be tortured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies