Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,728,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Now they keep saying global warming will cause lower temperatures, more snowfall, growing glaciers and now possibly even a new ice age. The next thing we'll hear is more government spending will decrease the deficit. Oh, wait they did already say that.....
Anyway, Obama is having a nice teaparty on the White House lawn, all he needs is for Alice to show up.
No one's saying that. Please educate yourself before making a point. There are certain areas that have increased snowfall because of global warming and temperatures more condusive to snow. The Great Lakes are a good example. They've known this for decades. The overall trend globally is still warming, but it's not like everything just turns into a desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:06 PM

737 posts, read 1,651,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
O really yet he wants more export from Florida whom are already number one not by choice trust me. Do you know how much damage is being done to Florida from mines? Do you know of the birth defects occurring in Florida?

He also wants increased wages but yet the ones in harms way are the Floridians themselves on the home front of the mines.
Why are Floridians on the home front you say because we don't have the same rights, even tho we fought against the mines in the 60's and still do every day.

What ever Obama

Florida doesn't want Mines never did. When the land is raped of it's nutrients what will America do? Florida has the riches soil ever and 70% is exported and he thinks that isn't enough.

When the price of food goes sky high because there is so little remember what Obama did. Why will it run out because the land was raped. We maybe in the same boat as Haiti sooner then we think.
Almost left out did you know that Florida produces most of America's vegetables? I mean in the same boat as in NO FOOD FOLKS

Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,515,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Here is a little science for the AGW crowd

There used to be 6000 temp. Collection stations.
There are now 1500.

Those that are more rural, and/or higher elevation have been removed.

Those that remain represent a subset that has moved from slightly urban in 1900 to vastly urban in 2010.

Now someone explain to me how we can get a valid result using that kind of dataset?

Further a basic study of GISS data giving some 90 pairs of Rural and Urban stations

Where data is available from 1900 to present and the stations are less than 100km apart show that the urban stations produce a warming trend of 1.5C while the rural stations show no warming or cooling trend at all.

Again, we find very little veracity in the data AGW proponents are using to underpin their hypothesis.

Further after reviewing some 87% of the GISS/NOAA temperature gathering stations, only 10% of the stations actually meet GISS/NOAA standards. Can you image in that 90% of the stations in the USA that NOAA uses to determine surface temperatures do not meet NOAA’s own standards, yet they continue to suggest that the data shows…. ANYTHING?

I don’t care what temperature it is outside right now but if Barak Obama wants to suggest that the evidence is overwhelming, I would suggest to him that the veracity of the overwhelming evidence is vastly underwhelming.

and with that I bid you ado as the weekend has arrived!
I had a college professor by the name of Richard Balling (if I remember correctly) that told me global warming was a joke. This was in 91 or 92. He said that they moved all the temperature reading devices into the cities. But used temperature readings form the rural areas to compare their measurements to. Of course, cities are always hotter. Anyone knows this.

I have always remembered that but never saw anyone else say it. Glad to see your post.

I think that guy teaches at Arizona State now.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 PM

38,181 posts, read 22,271,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
We now get daily weather reports on this forum about cold weather (in January, no less), and it's used as proof that global warming doesn't exist.

I would think that the climate change naysayers could do better than that.
...and the hoax deniers claim that any warm weather (in July, no less), and it's used as proof that global warming does exist.

Well.... maybe not last July, since we never broke 80 degrees.

Last edited by Wapasha; 01-29-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,515,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No one's saying that. Please educate yourself before making a point. There are certain areas that have increased snowfall because of global warming and temperatures more condusive to snow. The Great Lakes are a good example. They've known this for decades. The overall trend globally is still warming, but it's not like everything just turns into a desert.
Wrong. The earth has been cooling for the past 11 years.

And they've known this for decades? I've lived in great lake states for 40 years. In the 70s it was global cooling that was causing more snow. That what they taught me in school anyway........Course, that was publik school.

I love the way environmentalist change everything to fit their agenda. If it is hot in the summer it is global warming. If it is cold in the winter it is global warming.

And it is only pollution from the United States, Western Europe, Israel and Japan that cause environmental problems.

Mexico, China, Africa and India have use some kind of magic oil and coal that never harms anyone.

And go to Yakima, WA. Desert doesn't have anything to do with temperature. Desert means arid. If I aint mistaken, Anartica is a desert.

Last edited by OhioIstheBest; 01-29-2010 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Improper use of a participle

Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 PM

38,181 posts, read 22,271,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The climate in Florida may turn into that like Cuba and Wisconsin may turn into that like Kentucky.... oh.... the horror

Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Wrong. The earth has been cooling for the past 11 years.

And they've known this for decades? I've lived in great lake states for 40 years. In the 70s it was global cooling that was causing more snow. That what they taught me in school anyway........Course, that was publik school.

I love the way environmentalist change everything to fit their agenda. If it is hot in the summer it is global warming. If it is cold in the winter it is global warming.

And it is only pollution from the United States, Western Europe, Israel and Japan that cause environmental problems.

Mexico, China, Africa and India have use some kind of magic oil and coal that never harms anyone.

And go to Yakima, WA. Desert doesn't have anything to do with temperature. Desert means arid. If I aint mistaken, Anartica is a desert.
The global cooling of the 40s-70s was due to particulate matter in the air reflecting sunlight back. Advances in technology and regulation curbed a lot of that. You can look at the research yourself about the Great Lakes, but I am definitely not wrong, as you suggest.

As for your charges against these amorphic "environmentalists" (whoever they are):

1. Weather patterns and climate change are not the same. You seem to lack basic understanding if you insist on linking the two. It's about overall mean temp.

2. Pollution from developing economies is the biggest threat to our stability. Everybody knows that. What you seem to not understand is that the wealthy, developed nations are far better positioned to transition their economies to renewable energy than India and China.

3. I'm not sure what you're talking about deserts for. Deserts are defined by moisture.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,433,242 times
Obama is like a used car salesman. Liar, liar pants on fire.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Obama is like a used car salesman. Liar, liar pants on fire.
Let your mommy back on the computer. You shouldn't sneak on without an adult's permission.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,651,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
O really yet he wants more export from Florida whom are already number one not by choice trust me. Do you know how much damage is being done to Florida from mines? Do you know of the birth defects occurring in Florida?

He also wants increased wages but yet the ones in harms way are the Floridians themselves on the home front of the mines.
Why are Floridians on the home front you say because we don't have the same rights, even tho we fought against the mines in the 60's and still do every day.

What ever Obama

Florida doesn't want Mines never did. When the land is raped of it's nutrients what will America do? Florida has the riches soil ever and 70% is exported and he thinks that isn't enough.

When the price of food goes sky high because there is so little remember what Obama did. Why will it run out because the land was raped. We maybe in the same boat as Haiti sooner then we think.
I have an idea Obama, Why don't we slow production on the mines by lets say 70% and then plant more veggies and oranges and export that. Wouldn't that be a better plan? I mean we rape our land and export it then we all do without. I guess he he just to busy doing other things to think of that one huh. I guess I have way to much time on my hands huh. Not that we ain't been saying it for years.

Our land can recover quite well with our rich soil now what's left that is as in I mean as in recovering from over harvesting. The riches soil in the WORLD. And we give it away. Brings to mind don't give away what you want. You want get it back.

But if it is raped everyone losses.

I guess with the wage increase is a way of saying it going to be a slow rise in price. Because folks the price is going to hit the celling trust me I read up on it and they are saying most people just ain't talking about it.

Last edited by Starlady01; 01-29-2010 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies