Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardener View Post
There are currently at least two threads on here spreading a lie (that is apparently spreading through the right wing blogosphere faster than lightning) that President Obama used a teleprompter to talk to 6th graders.
They show this picture and caption:
[***]
It amazes me how quickly these lies become "truth" to some people. I remember one of my co-workers coming into the office proclaiming that Obama wanted to outlaw backyard gardens. I asked her about it, and she said she read it on the Internet, but called Jim Demint's office (I live in South Carolina), who confirmed it as truth. Of course, that was another lie. The 1st President to have a vegetable garden in HIS backyard at the White House had no intention of "outlawing backyard gardens."

I have serious doubts about our ability as a nation to even have a proper discussion about politics when so much of the conversation is based on lies and horrible misrepresentations. I'm sure it's gone both ways. I'm sure someone can point to some lie or exaggeration that was spread about President Bush. My point is, I guess, don't believe every stupid thing you see on the Internet.
Oh boy, stick around. Read old archived threads. This forum is a dumping ground for right wing blogosphere lies, fears and hate. You'll laugh you'll cry, and your serious doubts will only become an admission of a grim reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

38,496 posts, read 25,846,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Bush was in the middle of reading when he got the news. He read for a couple of mnutes more, as to not alarm the children (the leftist love alarming children) and then he got up.

The left can try to make a story out of this but it is ONLY the left that swallows it. Nothing you try is going to help hussein obama from looking like a joke.
More than a couple minutes. Watch the real time video. It is available on YouTube. I believe is was something like seven plus minutes.

Bush didn't want to alarm the children and chose to risk american lives instead! Great presidential priorities!

3,199 posts, read 4,320,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardener View Post
Well, we can start with the folks at the Weekly Standard:

"The only reason I bring this barely relevant history up is to show what a stud of a law student Barack Obama was. He graduated Harvard magna *** laude. This was one honor you unquestionably had to earn. It's a very impressive feat. Back in Obama's days at Harvard, more than 50 percent of the class graduated *** laude, a fact that made graduating "with honors" a meaningless accomplishment. But graduating magna was a different kettle of fish. Barack Obama graduated right near the top of his law school class."

The Real Obama | The Weekly Standard
I wonder why we have to rely on assumptions and Obamas handlers wouldn't release the actual transcripts?

Yes indeed this is how lies spread.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,333,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
More than a couple minutes. Watch the real time video. It is available on YouTube. I believe is was something like seven plus minutes.

Bush didn't want to alarm the children and chose to risk american lives instead! Great presidential priorities!
Risk american lives how? Would any less americans have died on 9/11 during those 7 minutes if Bush ran out of the room like a chicken with his head cut off? What purpose would that have served, really?

How did 7 minutes make ANY difference? Please tell me how. Could he himself have stopped any of the attacks in those 7 minutes? Do you give him (or any president) that much credit or power that they are able to single-handedly shoot down terrorists out of the skies with bolts of lightening shooting out of their fingertips?

Please, that is an old partisan joke to say that those 7 minutes would have made any difference.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 AM

38,007 posts, read 22,187,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
While it may not be true, if he did in fact use teleprompters while speaking to a classroom of kids, that's pretty friggin' pathetic.

Looks like a classroom to me.

Maybe the teleprompters are there so he does not slip up and make fun of special Ed kids, as he did so famously on Jay Leno.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I wonder why we have to rely on assumptions and Obamas handlers wouldn't release the actual transcripts?

Yes indeed this is how lies spread.
Accuse me of hijacking if you will (and you probably will), but have we seen Sarah Palin's transcripts? I'd like to see all five of them. Has anyone clamored for Biden's? What about McCain's? I know on Wikipedia it says McC graduated near the bottom of his class, but have we seen the transcripts? Provide links if so. Some of the RW rants on about the constitution, but nowhere in the constitution does it say a president must release his/her transcripts.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'll bet Dan Quayle wishes he had had a teleprompter when he appeared before a grade school class and misspelled potato. It could have changed the course of history.
uhmm

the school provided him with the material

Dan Quayle's 'Potatoe' Incident – 1992
A minor slip-up by Vice President Dan Quayle hatched a frenzy and a long-running joke. Quayle led a spelling bee for sixth-grade students while visiting an elementary school in New Jersey in 1992. Working from an inaccurate flash card prepared by a teacher, he corrected William Figueroa, 12, when the child spelled "potato" on the blackboard – making the boy add an unnecessary "e" at the word's end.

Quayle would never hear the end of it. The media assault for this goof was truly relentless. The young Figueroa crystallized the effects of this incident on Quayle's public image when he said that it "showed that the rumors about the vice president are true – that he's an idiot."

not much worse that the current POTUS saying 57 states, or the previous POTUS not being able to pronounce nuclear

Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,793,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes I know all Presidents have used TelePrompTers but this is ridiculous.

JammieWearingFool
This just goes to show that the worst thing Obama haters can say about him is "teleprompter". If using a teleprompter is the worst thing Obama does, then we're in great shape.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,333,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
This just goes to show that the worst thing Obama haters can say about him is "teleprompter". If using a teleprompter is the worst thing Obama does, then we're in great shape.
Keep dreaming, that's probably his best accomplishment in office thus far. He has mastered the art of teleprompter usage.

Yay! Way to go Barry! *claps hands*

Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,793,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Keep dreaming, that's probably his best accomplishment in office thus far. He has mastered the art of teleprompter usage.

Yay! Way to go Barry! *claps hands*
Well if he mastered it, then what's the problem? Why would it be an issue??? I guess when little girls are sitting around in their little frilly dresses at their tea parties they just need to come up with something to gossip about, so it's the teleprompter, even though President Obama has mastered the use of the teleprompter so it's not a real issue.

You know they're desperate when "teleprompter" is their biggest argument and whining point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies