Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,548,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And I would not care to see an Islamic holiday on my calendar.
If Publix is going to put recognized days, then please go with US observed ones first.

I agree with you Happy Texan. I could give a hoot for any islamic holiday could care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,651,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
No it couldn't have. For the second time; Christians are commanded to love, pray for and bless our enemies. No true Christian can fly a plane into a building with innocent people on board. You seem to know very little about Christianity, but you are quick to attack it.
Then can you please explain what happened during the Spanish Inquisition? They tortured and killed those unwilling to convert out of love and respect, right?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,548,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So this is now a right vs left issue ?
The left have no problem with Islamic New Year on their free calendars ?

I see it as American vs non-American.

I did see that Publix pulled all the calendars..no more available and next year will mark 12/7 in honor of Pearl Harbor day.
Happy Texan, some people are just too hard to get thru to, save your breath. I would no longer shop that store, that is how i feel about it like it or not.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 PM

70 posts, read 175,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Then can you please explain what happened during the Spanish Inquisition? They tortured and killed those unwilling to kill out of love and respect, right?
I apologize if I'm not articulating my points well enough. Christians are commanded to love, pray for and bless their enemies. These aren't options, these are doctrinal tenants; to do otherwise is contrary to those tenants. We're speaking about unprovoked attacks mind you; not pacifism. Perhaps you too, like the other poster, confused hate with disagreement. Hope that helped clear things up.

Just wanted to add: I can't profess to be a vegetarian and enjoy an occasional cheeseburger.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,624,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Then can you please explain what happened during the Spanish Inquisition? They tortured and killed those unwilling to kill out of love and respect, right?
I know. It was wrong of them and it is wrong of the Muslims now.

The difference is Muslims of today are still terrorists and radical and they still like to "jihad" the hell out of everyone else. Christians are more peaceful. Most of the Muslim community stays silent and no one says a word when someone does some Jihadish thing. Try being a different religion in a Muslim country or community. You won't last long.

Christians have modernized up and whenever something does happen (killing of Dr Tiller), the community speaks out DESPITE the fact he was doing something the vast majority of Christians disapprove of. Sure the bible is sexist but most Christians have become modernized.

I am grateful to the Christian majority for not wanting behead me or declare Jihad against me for my beliefs. Thanks guys! As a result, I have more respect for their faith and what and who Jesus Christ was.

Signed,

An Atheist.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,193,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I agree with you Happy Texan. I could give a hoot for any islamic holiday could care less.

When you put out your own calendar, you can include anything you want...but this is PUBLIX calendar and if they want to market to martians- so be it.

Muslims DO spend money in this country.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,978,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
When you put out your own calendar, you can include anything you want...but this is PUBLIX calendar and if they want to market to martians- so be it.

Good, well I hope those offended shop elsewhere. Hopefully there's enough Muslims in south Florida to take up the slack.

Offend some Americans but God forbid we offend non-Americans ?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,337,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post

Sure Publix can honor whoever they want.
But as they found out, pandering to a small number of muslims while offending a larger group of god fearing Americans is not a wise business move.
Free market working as designed.

Muslims are also free to open their own islamocentric grocery stores and issue their own calendars. Such is the greatness of America.

Last edited by allydriver; 01-10-2010 at 10:20 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM

10 posts, read 17,322 times
Florida has tremendous cultural and racial diversity--as well as a high elderly population of Americans. From what I have seen as a Floridian shopping in Publix these ethnic groups are spending megabucks in their stores. From a corporate standpoint, they have to recognize these groups. I'm not saying that makes it right, just saying that's probably why they did it. Whoever spent the most money with them in 2009 is going to get the most attention in 2010. Therefore I don't take it personally.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,912,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I've never seen Pearl Harbor Day on a calendar either. As far as Patriot Day. The Patriots Day that I'm more familiar with is in April and mostly a Massachusetts thing having to do with the American Revolution. I've rarely, if ever, heard Sept. 11th referred to as Patriot Day since the time it was first proposed. I'll have to check it if is on my calendar.

My calendar has religious and and national holidays from around the world on it. Personally, I like to be informed when Eid or Boxing Day, etc. occur, it doesn't bother me one bit.
Patriots' Day = Battles of Lexington and Concord and is a holiday in MA & ME and is held in April every year.

Patriot Day = 9/11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies