Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:43 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,216,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Michael Steele to GOP Critics: "Get a Life" or "Fire Me."

Things are heating up in the GOP. Not really a bad thing; the GOP needs to internally detox and cleanse itself of it's buildup of toxic crud. Critics accuse Steele of being more concerned with with image than rebuilding the GOP.

Key words here, for me, are that people inside the GOP admit the GOP needs rebuilding, i.e., the GOP has fallen apart, is a shambles, etc. No kidding. Thank you Bush, Rove, DeLay, Cheney, Schmitt, Gramm, Palin, Armey, Dobson, Limbaugh et al, and the extreme religious right christo-fascists (or as I've said for years, the American Taliban). IMO, not one of those are classic fiscal-conservative and MYOB Republicans like Barry Goldwater. They are greedy carpet baggers, market riggers and hate mongers.

Steele was responding to a piece in the Washington Times (owned by Korean religious figure Rev Moon) where some prominent GOP donors stated they were withholding their financial support of the party.

There seems to be ire in the GOP that Steele published a book and may be making a buck off of it. Is it hypocritical that people in the GOP are acting shocked, shocked I say, that someone cashes in on their position and connections. Oh the horror. Faux outrage.

Myself, I think Steele's book "Right Now: A 12-Step Program for Defeating the Obama Agenda" is thoroughly off the mark. It's NOT about Obama! The real issue is not HOW to defeat Obama but rather WHAT does the GOP stand for? WHAT is the GOP prescription for a bright future? More of same? More bible thumping? More gay hating? More millionaire pigs slopping at the U. S. Treasury? More tax cuts for the wealthy? No health care for the working and middle classes?

Is the GOP totally clueless about their MASSIVE FAIL in the 2006 and 2008 elections? If it weren't for racism in certain parts of the nation, Obama would've carried even more states. He would've too if he were a white guy running against the inept clueless McCain/Palin ticket.

Steele's book, his critics, and his lashing out all point to one thing. The GOP is leaderless, has no coherent message, has no plan for restoring American greatness or prosperity, has no concept of how to fulfill the constitutional mandate for Liberty, Justice, Decency, the Common Welfare, the Pursuit of Happiness and much more. Right now it seems that for many years the GOP's only message or plan is yet more wealth for the top 2% that already own 43% of the wealth.

the american taliban has been in place ever since the enviromentalists came into politics in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,084,218 times
Let's face it:

The only reason Steele was where he is is because the GOP was trying to get African-American voters. That failed.

The only reason Palin was the VP nominee is because the GOP was trying to get women voters. That failed.

The ony reason Gonzalez was appointed Attorney General is because the GOP was trying to get Latin voters. That failed.

Has it ever crossed their mind maybe it's just their policies that suck? Not who isn't voting for them?

That being said, I anticipate within 2 years Bernard Goldberg is a high-ranking GOP figure and history repeats itself.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post

Let's face it:

The only reason Steele was where he is is because the GOP was trying to get African-American voters. That failed.

The only reason Palin was the VP nominee is because the GOP was trying to get women voters. That failed.

The ony reason Gonzalez was appointed Attorney General is because the GOP was trying to get Latin voters. That failed.

Has it ever crossed their mind maybe it's just their policies that suck? Not who isn't voting for them?

That being said, I anticipate within 2 years Bernard Goldberg is a high-ranking GOP figure and history repeats itself.
Hey, I think you figured it out! Republicans are The Party of Panderers!!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 AM

26,231 posts, read 49,112,227 times
Default Steele in Deep DooDoo with GOP Leaders

IMO Steele is on his way out. Today's WaPo reports some interesting stuff. Essentially, Steele has stepped all over himself, this "transgression" gives the GOP sufficient plausibility to boot him out, i.e., he erred big time so out he goes.

Excerpts:

- GOP congressional leaders say they did not know that their party chairman, Steele, was publishing a book until it was released this week, and they had no input in drafting what Steele is promoting as the blueprint Republicans should follow to win back power.

- "He's freelancing," said another top congressional aide.

- Steele appeared on a St. Louis radio station Thursday and offered a blistering critique of his GOP critics, going beyond his much-quoted remarks to ABC. When McGraw Milhaven of KTRS Radio asked Steele if he was a "detriment" to Republican fundraising, Steele said: "I am in this chair. If they want it, take it from me. Until then, shut up, step back and get in the game and help us win -- and stop the back-biting and the name-calling and the finger-pointing."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:39 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,837,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I wonder how much Steele's skin color had to do with getting his job. I don't see how he is a leader of the GOP. Who are his supporters?

ALOT UNFORtunately another trick by republicans strategist when obama won so now lets have a black guy as head of party and even then there was some backlash that got little to no coverage about this.

republicans have done this before try to get a black republican to run against a black democrat..

his supporters are the NBRA

The most influential conservative voice shot him down, what does that say

Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 AM

THey wont hesistate he's better off watching what he says.He should have clarified what he said because steele to gop critics sounds like he's talking about non Gop'rs

Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
He is promoting his book now. I think he was chosen because he is a weak man. That was proven when he apologized to Rush. I doubt he has a political future after this term is over.
a couple others in congress apologized to him as well.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,112,227 times
Default GOP Apology Tour

Aides to GOP lawmakers are bleating like sheep: "Make him stop" and calling Steele book-selling travels "The GOP Apology Tour."

Gotta love it.

Story at the WaPo.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM

146 posts, read 149,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I think his skin color had a lot to do with him getting the job. The Republicans thought it would be more acceptable to have a black man criticizing a black president, so he filled the bill. Maybe Steele is finally starting to talk for himself now that his book is out, instead of just delivering the party line.
Just like skin color got BO elected right?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM

some interesting quotes from the article

Quote:
A black man in black-face monkeying around to entertain southern white racists... priceless!
A black president pretending to be anything except what he was elected to do... worthless!

I am a lifetime Republican and I guess I am one of the complainers. This guy is just not getting the job done. half the time what he says is non-sensical and the other half it doesn't reflect the views of the Republican party. No question this guy is more concerned about his image than he is his party. I think his behavior in this position has pretty much destroyed his career. He should not wait to get fired he should just quit

He will most certainly leave that post before he has met the goals of his agenda.Take a look at his career. He's never finished anything!! He's a nice man, I've met him as have others here, but he's a joke in political circles.

"Right Now: A 12-Step Program for Defeating the Obama Agenda,"
How utterly sad that our political discourse has devolved into anyone thinking that this is the correct way to solve problems in our country.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Sssshhhh... Michael Steele is a Democrat operative who has been planted into the mist of the Republican hierarchy... He has provided valuable information for the Democrats. Don't blow his cover.

Posted by: ODDOWL

So much of what Mr. Steele has to say is offensive. Is that what the GOP wants in a Chairman?

Posted by: BillR

Actually, good for Mr. Steele.
The republican establishment wanted a token, someone to bob their head and say yesser, nossir..
It ain't happenin.... granted, Steele is not a Haley Barbour (thank heavens) or a Roger Ails...(Praise the Lord!) but he certainly gets it when he says republicans have not admitted fault and tried to correct their mistakes...ergo are not ready for leadership.
Posted by: dutchess2
A political party based on Southern white fundamentalist Conservative Protestant males should have picked a Southern white fundamentalist Conservative Protestant male to be its spokesman. If you want to have a minority spokesman, there's no minority like Southern white fundamentalist Conservative Protestant males!

Posted by: tbrucia

Picking Steele for RNC Chair was a huge blunder. His vision of creating a "hip-hop Republican Party" is a sure strategy for snatching defeat from the jaws of Victory in 2010.
Fire the clown ASAP!

Posted by: pmendez

Since when have Republicans had a problem with someone hawking their books? There have never been any gripes about Limbaugh selling his, or Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck--or the ubiquitous Sarah Palin!! That's a phony excuse.

never understood why Michael Steele was chosen for the job, beyond the bizarre attempt to counterbalance Barack Obama.
Whatever his talents are, they are not being displayed in his current position. Posted by: JohnRice

The RNC should have known what it was getting when it hired him. He was a known commodity.

Posted by: DagnyT

So does Steele last through the weekend? He cannot continue at the RNC after this tirade and the discovery that donors are literally boycotting the group because of him. Raising money is essentially Steele's only job function.Posted by: parkerfl1

What's this? Fake tough-guy talk from the guy who bowed and apologized to Rush Limbaugh?
Steele will do or say anything that works out for Steele.
GOP, one more time: "Re-invent Yourself"!

Posted by: free-donny

ProCounsel says, we choose BOTH:
"Steele to GOP critics: "Get a life" or "fire me"

Posted by: ProCounsel

Focus on his own image rather than the GOP image? Steele IS the GOP image.
Republicans worst nightmare is for Steele to switch to Independent. LOL

Posted by: unseenmirage

A high black public official gives himself a "B" for performance and the Republicans jump on him.
Haven't we heard this one before?

Posted by: stivgdgy

After reading all the replies, I think it is fair to say...
"The Republican Party is splitting into two factions, the Far Right and the Never Right."
Posted by: stivgdgy

Steele is exactly the reason my wife and I discontinued our contributions to the GOP. He has done nothing to move the party forward! We need a lightning rod, particularly now! GOP solicitations go into the trash unopened; telephone solicitations are hung up on. We need a VERY strong replacement for him, otherwise Nobama will be back for another 4.

Posted by: zekeman

Steele should never have been given the job. He has too many scandals under his belt, from his sister to Mike Tyson to catering scams and questionable campaign spending and he did nothing for Maryland. The GOP should have taken some time to select the new leader, not jump the gun because Obama was in front. The GOP jumped the gun with Palin and learned nothing from that disaster. They need someone to hold the party together, not drive it farther apart.

Steele's first error was apologizing to Rush Limbaugh, obviously the real leader of the party. As for Democrat vs. Republican, both parties only care about themselves and not the public. This country needs a third party...the Progressives...who realize the landscape of this country and don't answer to Wall Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies