Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,964,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I didnt say Steele got it OBHB.

Im surprised the other guy didnt get it, myself. He is Ken Blackwell of Ohio, who did the RNC quite a big favor in 2004.
Just curious --are you referring to the Diebold voting machines that were used in Ohio to reportedly "secure" the state for Bush in 2004?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 PM

26,300 posts, read 49,239,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
JNotOYO in that assessment on recent years. It hasn't always been so. I've been voting fairly regularly since 1970. In that time their were several Republicans I supported, some even for President. There was always a certain amount of contention between the Parties, but Congress very often was able to put aside their difference and come to consensus on issues. That has all but disappeared in the last 20yrs or so. We have faced many problems in that time and solutions or attempts at solutions just have not been really present. I certain don't only blame the Repubs for this condition, there is plenty of that on the Dems side as well. It's just that, in this past year, particularly, that dichotomy has never been so blatantly obvious. So until, or unless, that changes, we will continue to be hurt by it.
I voted GOP most of my life, sent them money too, especially John Warner of VA. I voted for Bush Sr twice, i.e., including the time he lost to Clinton in 1992, as I liked his honesty about raising taxes to cover the deficits and pay for the S&L bailout (deva ju happens).

As you say, things in past 20 years have gotten crazy. What was it:

- The Ike-Kennedy Civil Rights focus circa 1960 was 50 years ago, and though that changed many things, racism remains, only the racists are in different parties now. So it isn't that.

- Nixon's Southern Strategy, circa 1970 was 40 years ago, a reaction to the civil rights era and though that changed many things, racism remains, only the racists are in different parties now. So it isn't that.

- The rise of the religious right, late 1980's, about 20-25 years ago, is what I say has caused this huge division in the populace. The phony baloney "family values" platform is just lip service to get votes; once elected they go do their toe-tap boogie in airport restrooms, etc. Numerous examples of their hypocrisy abound (Ensign, Craig, Sanford, Vitter, Gingrich, Guiliani, etc, with more dirt waiting to be unearthed on more of them). The religious right has made it almost impossible to get anything done in this country, every bill in congress seems to get one or more riders attached seeking to implement some flavor of their agenda (abortion, birth control, sex ed, gays, science, stem cell research, etc etc). They poison the air with their single issue politics. They demonize any politician who does not kowtow to them. If we can get these clowns out of our politics we have a chance at moving forward in this nation, else these fools will drag us down.

IMO, there are many GOP politicians who hate the religious right as much as I do but know that in the current state of affairs they need those people to get elected / re-elected. I'm sure that's why so very many GOP'ers hung it up in 2006 and 2008, they knew the GOP brand was a trainwreck and they got out on their own terms. To some degree, Steele was talking to some of those who are in the religious right / white power portion of the GOP, and he's taking his lumps for it. But still, it's not about beating Obama, it's about what does the GOP stand for and what does the GOP propose to improve our situation, and until that platform is solid, the GOP has nothing to stand on, other than the sandlot simplicity of "we're not Obama."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-07-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM

1,179 posts, read 978,325 times
Default GOP Aides Tell RNC: Keep Steele Quiet

Top GOP congressional aides have demanded that their colleagues at the Republican National Committee rein in Chairman Michael Steele after Steele suggested House Republicans could not retake the majority this November.

Republicans said there's a growing concern that Steele is catering to conservative activists and others who may not have the party's best interests at heart. Steele mounted an unsuccessful bid for Senate in 2006, running as a moderate.

"He's talking like he's some kind of tea partier ... when [in 2006] he was THE most moderate candidate we had in the field. That was his whole thing, and he had no problem trashing [former President George W.] Bush and others for being too conservative," one GOP aide said.

GOP Aides Tell RNC: Keep Steele Quiet - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20100107/pl_cq_politics/politics3276175 - broken link)

Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,901,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I voted GOP most of my life, sent them money too, especially John Warner of VA. I voted for Bush Sr twice, i.e., including the time he lost to Clinton in 1992, as I liked his honesty about raising taxes to cover the deficits and pay for the S&L bailout (deva ju happens).

As you say, things in past 20 years have gotten crazy. What was it:

- The Ike-Kennedy Civil Rights focus circa 1960 was 50 years ago, and though that changed many things, racism remains, only the racists are in different parties now. So it isn't that.

- Nixon's Southern Strategy, circa 1970 was 40 years ago, a reaction to the civil rights era and though that changed many things, racism remains, only the racists are in different parties now. So it isn't that.

- The rise of the religious right, late 1980's, about 20-25 years ago, is what I say has caused this huge division in the populace. The phony baloney "family values" platform is just lip service to get votes; once elected they go do their toe-tap boogie in airport restrooms, etc. Numerous examples of their hypocrisy abound (Ensign, Craig, Sanford, Vitter, Gingrich, Guiliani, etc, with more dirt waiting to be unearthed on more of them). The religious right has made it almost impossible to get anything done in this country, every bill in congress seems to get one or more riders attached seeking to implement some flavor of their agenda (abortion, birth control, sex ed, gays, science, stem cell research, etc etc). They poison the air with their single issue politics. They demonize any politician who does not kowtow to them. If we can get these clowns out of our politics we have a chance at moving forward in this nation, else these fools will drag us down.

IMO, there are many GOP politicians who hate the religious right as much as I do but know that in the current state of affairs they need those people to get elected / re-elected. I'm sure that's why so very many GOP'ers hung it up in 2006 and 2008, they knew the GOP brand was a trainwreck and they got out on their own terms. To some degree, Steele was talking to some of those who are in the religious right / white power portion of the GOP, and he's taking his lumps for it. But still, it's not about beating Obama, it's about what does the GOP stand for and what does the GOP propose to improve our situation, and until that platform is solid, the GOP has nothing to stand on, other than the sandlot simplicity of "we're not Obama."
I can tell that other than this, you don't have any strong opinions on the condition of our political system.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I can tell that other than this, you don't have any strong opinions on the condition of our political system.
I've many more strong opinions, but they're outside the topic of Steele and the current news about him.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've many more strong opinions, but they're outside the topic of Steele and the current news about him.
I am sure of that, as do I. The post was just my lame attempt to be funny.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,462,412 times
Sounds like they've just about shoved Steele halfway out the door, much like the Florida Republican Party just forced the resignation of their Chairman.

Florida Republican Party Chairman Jim Greer Resigns

"TALLAHASSEE - Bowing to months of criticism over his handling of party finances and his meddling in campaigns, Florida Republican Party Chairman Jim Greer resigned Tuesday, accusing his GOP critics of trying to " burn the house down."

Greer's resignation, which takes effect Feb. 20, represents a major setback for Gov. Charlie Crist, who had vigorously defended the chairman but on Tuesday abruptly endorsed state Sen. John Thrasher, R-Jacksonville, as the party's new leader."

Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I am sure of that, as do I. The post was just my lame attempt to be funny.
I saw the humor, thought it was good. I should've said so in my post.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM

25,831 posts, read 20,768,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Top GOP congressional aides have demanded that their colleagues at the Republican National Committee rein in Chairman Michael Steele after Steele suggested House Republicans could not retake the majority this November.

Republicans said there's a growing concern that Steele is catering to conservative activists and others who may not have the party's best interests at heart. Steele mounted an unsuccessful bid for Senate in 2006, running as a moderate.

"He's talking like he's some kind of tea partier ... when [in 2006] he was THE most moderate candidate we had in the field. That was his whole thing, and he had no problem trashing [former President George W.] Bush and others for being too conservative," one GOP aide said.

GOP Aides Tell RNC: Keep Steele Quiet - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20100107/pl_cq_politics/politics3276175 - broken link)
I certainly don't want to see the Republican party 'rise' again in its current state, however, the GOP should thank Steele for saying that they can't win. What better way to energize the base?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Even as a Democrat, I feel we need to have Republican values represented. There is an inherent danger when one Party so overwhelmingly controls Congress and the WH. In the case of this year, I am glad the Democrats actually had that power. As a result, we will have a start on Health Care reform, a flawed one, but at least a start. We did have a Stimulus that is now starting to reflect itself in many areas of our Economy. We have a President that is working very hard to restore Americas standing in the world, with some measurable success. We have an objective and plan to meet that objective in Afghanistan, along with NATO commitment. I do, however, think that this country needs more than just the Conservative elements within the Democratic Party to provide a balance of ideologies. Bottom line, we need the GOP to engage in the business of running our Govt. It is my hope, they see their way back to the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies