Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,412,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The man ate himself to death. That is the bottom line. So who kept feeding him those thousands of calories a day? Who facilitated and supported his habit?
The only ones to blame are the man himself and his supporting family.
Not society.
Not the insurance companies.
Well, he might have been diabetic or had a thyroid problem -- that huge obesity comes from things like that, I dont think you can get fat like that just from eating. I agree with the poster who suspects there's some yucky twist to the story, why his wife and family didnt/couldnt help better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:29 PM

29,920 posts, read 39,701,508 times
With "free" health-care he would have been labeled as a problem anyways and been disbarred from assistance. Either shape up or ship out. In the UK, not too long ago, they had a story about the state confiscating obese pets.

Quote:
For instance, is it cruel to feed a
canine companion to the point of obesity?
In Hertfordshire, U.K., after a tip-off
to the Royal Society for the Prevention
of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), police
actually confiscated two obese pet dogs.
The owner (as of January 2009) is
engaged in a legal battle over the dogs.
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAH/d...009_spring.pdf

Old 11-20-2009, 05:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,474,318 times
Has anyone bothered to ask HOW HE GOT THAT LARGE!!! I did not read that he had a disorder unless you call stuffing your face a disorder. It is his OWN fault he had bad knees it is his OWN fault that he was 800lbs, it is his OWN fault that he did not even try to take care of himself. His wife is just as much to blame for feeding him that much food. Ugh please ridiculous it is called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, has nothing to do with not having insurance.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,621,293 times
Something has to be seriously wrong with your psyche to let it get that bad and for her to enable it. She must weight 400 lbs. There has to be more to the story though. The baby? This is all very sad.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:56 PM

446 posts, read 835,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
What kind of spouse sits by and watches their husband or wife die without intervening? Who fed the poor guy? When are people responsible for their own actions?
That's exactly what I was thinking. There is NO way I would stand for my husband literally killing himself like that, or any other way if I could help prevent it. Turning to God now seems like a bit on the LATE SIDE. She could have used some guidance prior to his death I believe. I have compassion...I'm an RN, but this is obscene! How dare she sit by like that and let him die. I blame her as much as him. They were partners in this life and she had a duty to help him.

What a SHAME.......

Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 PM

395 posts, read 514,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You are seriously making a joke out of this?

Have some compassion.

This man died from being obese. No one wants to die like that. It is slow and painful. He left behind a wife that loved him. She is turning to God for help to get on with this.

Seriously.....I fear for this world.
Stop making liberals look bad.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,902,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If he had sores and was >gulp< stuck to the recliner, she wasnt cleaning him up. Not that she was likely being evil but they were maybe in some awful co-dependent spiral. If you're normal yourself and you see anyone, let alone your own husband, in this situation you call for help! And negotiate paying for it later.
I do believe that I actually agree with you! Who would have ever thunk it???

Old 11-20-2009, 06:57 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,902,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I do believe that I actually agree with you! Who would have ever thunk it???
Disregard the last part, I am old ^sigh^ and confused you with somebody else!!! I agree quite often with your posts

Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,441,976 times
What ever happened to torture in this country?

Starvation diet.

A vitamin, some minerals, some water.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,351,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What ever happened to torture in this country?

Starvation diet.

A vitamin, some minerals, some water.
... some vomiting. Vitamins on an empty stomach make most people barf (or at least want to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies