Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 AM

17,421 posts, read 12,062,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So your point is that a medical recommendation, based on the best available public health evidence, is the same as a government takeover of health care?

Is the same going to be true if private, for-profit insurance companies start applying this recommendation?

Get a grip, you guys!
When the government starts denying mammograms, based on medical recommendations? Yup - that's rationing.

Open your eyes, you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,767,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough
So your point is that a medical recommendation, based on the best available public health evidence, is the same as a government takeover of health care?

Is the same going to be true if private, for-profit insurance companies start applying this recommendation?

Get a grip, you guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When the government starts denying mammograms, based on medical recommendations? Yup - that's rationing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Open your eyes, you guys!
Having read the article, I'd like for you to point out the part that says 'the government is denying mammograms', because I didn't see that part. What I did read is that a panel of doctors and scientists are recommending that regular mammograms not begin until a woman is 50.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 PM

25,886 posts, read 20,836,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Those who are unable to see how convenient this "new medical data" is, while pushing back the time frame for mamograms, just before we go under some government operated system are either naive, dishonest, or both.
And those who see black helicopters over every rise are what?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,566,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
All in the name of cutting costs...having people die is cheaper than having every one having a mammogram and detect it early...like is happening in Europe for years...and we can't say they are also kind of death panels...since they decide if you can or can't get one...to me that is a death panel.
I thought rightwingers were against needless preventative medicine? You know, tort reform an' all. Please make up your minds.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM

38,745 posts, read 26,559,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The beginning????? You claim to work in health care and you honestly believe that health care is not already rationed?

Health Care Reform 101—About Rationing: US Health System is Rife with Rationing Already | Suite101.com (http://healthfieldmedicare.suite101.com/article.cfm/health_care_reform_101_about_rationing - broken link)

As for this particular 'news', I know that a lot of women suffer from breast cancer, but, from my perspective it's become the 'disease of the week' magnified over the last ten years. More women die from heart or lung disease every year than from breast cancer.
Dr. Nancy is talking about this now and she reminds us that even though it is a government task force - it is still a group of doctors with experience in this field. We shouldn't dismiss the science behind their recommendation, just because we don't like the message.
And, the fact remains that unless you have coverage, you ain't getting an elective mammogram no matter what your age.

Really doesn't matter what the particular facts are. The Obamatrons will adjust their position to fit the new position of BO (Das Feuer) regarless of what it is.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...enied-gop.html

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Those who are unable to see how convenient this "new medical data" is, while pushing back the time frame for mamograms, just before we go under some government operated system are either naive, dishonest, or both.
Anyone who believes this is incredibly naive about how science works.

Since you're obviously so educated in the field of medical science, why don't you show us point-by-point where the study fails.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Really doesn't matter what the particular facts are. The Obamatrons will adjust their position to fit the new position of BO (Das Feuer) regarless of what it is.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...enied-gop.html
Adjust their position? LOL! Since when were mamograms a political position?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:15 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,695,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And those who see black helicopters over every rise are what?
Ahhh... so yes, this just must be another conspiracy theory.

Funny how the only facts that are relevant to some people are the facts that support their agenda.

Sad to live that way.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 PM

37,208 posts, read 42,474,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I am in my early 40's. I personally know three women who had breast cancer detected before their 40's. All are my age and one died when she was 35. It was too far advanced and I sat with her during her last days in Hospice. This is crap. Get your mamograms at age 40. Better to know early either way than to know too late.
I'm sorry to hear that. HOWEVER, routine mamograms at 40 did nothing to help your 35 year old friend, and most women who get them after 40 never have breast cancer but may have false positives that cause some damage to their lives. So what would the solution be? Think about that.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,820,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Could determine medical insurance reimbusement for the exam. If the recommended frequency is every 2 years after 50, that may be all health insurance may reimburse. Otherwise, it could be on you.
Exactly. No one is saying you can't have one, but you might have to pay for it if your insurance company won't do it. It's also known as personal responsibility, which I thought Republicans favored.

BTW, I don't have vision insurance, even though my daughter and I both wear corrective lenses. When we need them, I pay for them. My dental insurance only pays for check-ups. When I needed crowns and when she had cavities, I paid for them. Just because insurance won't pay for it doesn't mean you can't have it.

Also, if people fear their health care is "rationed," maybe they'll take better care of themselves--stop smoking, maintain a healthy weight, get some exercise. An ounce of prevention....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies