Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM

921 posts, read 1,136,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well it is coddling really because if you look at his record his superiors knew he was having mental issues but let's be honest here the military isn't known for treating troops with known mental afflictions.

edit: pgh my response was to the OP regarding Bush. He is trying to point out that this incedent was worse that 9/11 and in terms of the amount of lives & destruction it pales in comparison.
I agree with you.

His record was known well before Obama was in office.

Those "Obama Haters" are just trying to find another reason to point at him & make him in fault of anything wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,045,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
shut up? Yeah, you would like people to shut up so more people can get killed. Yep, that's the menatility you show here. The FBI and CIA are NOT tracking hundreds of thousands of would be terrorists in this country. They had explicit information about this guy and ignored it. So he was just crazy and not a terrorist? But when a REAL crazy guy goes into the Holocaust museum and shoots 1 person, you and the rest of the crazy liberal crowd blew up these boards about his political affiliation and his religion???? Man you guys are twisted.
I don't follow your argument.

The FBI and CIA are MONITORING thousands, and even hundreds of thousands of posts, messages, and other communications made by thousands of would-be terrorists in this country. They didn't IGNORE the information about Hasan, they used the information to evaluate what potential threat he posed, and they didn't anticipate that the good doctor was so unbalanced that he would take handguns into a processing center on a military base and open fire. Because rational people don't anticipate that kind of irrational behavior.

As for the Holocaust museum shooter, I'm not following your point? You're using him for comparison because you think someone should have anticipated his irrational actions, or you think that his long history of radical political beliefs is similar to Hasan's much briefer history? Or you're complaining because you think "liberals" were harder on the Holocaust shooter than they are being on Hasan? Liberals, and conservatives alike, condemn both of these men for their irrational acts that resulted in the loss of innocent lives. Neither man's actions could have reasonably been anticipated, because both of these men acted without reason.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,379,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
edit: pgh my response was to the OP regarding Bush. He is trying to point out that this incedent was worse that 9/11 and in terms of the amount of lives & destruction it pales in comparison.
Well obviously the destruction of 911 was greater, but this indeed is a fair comparison because in this instance, they knew who, what, where etc, but 911 they did not have alot of the data yet. If you want to pretend that this doesnt hold any value for discussion because the guy didnt set off a nuclear weapon to take out more casulties thats your right to pretend, but that doesnt mean this wasnt a terrorist attack and that our "network" has failed to protect individuals. The argument that this is worse, can probably be made simply based upon their failure to take actions on the obvious. Not sure if I agree with the argument, but I do understand it.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM
obo obo started this thread

916 posts, read 989,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't follow your argument.

The FBI and CIA are MONITORING thousands, and even hundreds of thousands of posts, messages, and other communications made by thousands of would-be terrorists in this country. They didn't IGNORE the information about Hasan, they used the information to evaluate what potential threat he posed, and they didn't anticipate that the good doctor was so unbalanced that he would take handguns into a processing center on a military base and open fire. Because rational people don't anticipate that kind of irrational behavior.

As for the Holocaust museum shooter, I'm not following your point? You're using him for comparison because you think someone should have anticipated his irrational actions, or you think that his long history of radical political beliefs is similar to Hasan's much briefer history? Or you're complaining because you think "liberals" were harder on the Holocaust shooter than they are being on Hasan? Liberals, and conservatives alike, condemn both of these men for their irrational acts that resulted in the loss of innocent lives. Neither man's actions could have reasonably been anticipated, because both of these men acted without reason.
I think you're purposely not following this so you can remain intellectually dishonest. The govt. blew this one because they didn't want to offend anyone is my point. The other point about the Holocaust shooter is that you all jumped right to conclusions about him being a RWE and not just some nut job, but in this case, there is more knowledge about Hasan's true intent, but you chalk it up as just a simple nut bag. You people are simply amazing and very, very dangerous I might add by your intentional dishonesty and ***** footing on serious issues.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,229,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Nope, you arent getting away with this one..
As I noted previously, you are incapable of an honest discussion. As for getting away, there is nothing to get away from. So rant away, but let's not pretend that you have anything of merit to offer.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
obo obo started this thread

916 posts, read 989,470 times
Quote:
Well obviously the destruction of 911 was greater, but this indeed is a fair comparison because in this instance, they knew who, what, where etc, but 911 they did not have alot of the data yet. If you want to pretend that this doesnt hold any value for discussion because the guy didnt set off a nuclear weapon to take out more casulties thats your right to pretend, but that doesnt mean this wasnt a terrorist attack and that our "network" has failed to protect individuals. The argument that this is worse, can probably be made simply based upon their failure to take actions on the obvious. Not sure if I agree with the argument, but I do understand it.
Yes, PG understands the coorelation I was making. I wasn't saying it was worse in the amount of lives lost or the entire scope of it, it's worse in the fact that we knew there was a problem there and ignored it. If this was pre 911 I wouldn't have these thoughts, but it's well after 911 and political correctness is not the way we should be handling these situations.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,229,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
They had a name, a place of residence, evidence of his beliefs and the biggest one...
Please, by all means point out where in the Constitution, the Uniform Code of Military Justice, or U.C. Code, where the government could have arrested, or detained Maj, Hasan for his "beliefs"?

I patiently await your response.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,389,302 times
Quote:
Nope, you arent getting away with this one..

All you liberals did was jump up and down when the 911 attacks took place and blaming Bush for EVERYTHING. You arent getting a pass on this one at all. Yes, OBAMA did not stop a terrorists attack. If you are blaming Bush, then indeed Obama gets a similar blame..
Bush blamed the Muslims like Hitler blamed the Jews.

It was Reitchstag Redux.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:56 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,777,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, please. The intelligence agencies had this guy on their radar, along with thousands of other individuals whose behavior and statements make them suspect. The intelligence agencies did not know what Hasan's intentions were, they only knew that a Major in the US Army, a doctor whose profession is dedicated to helping others, an American-born Muslim, was behaving in a suspicious, irrational manner and trying to get out of army service. Maybe he was putting these posts out there, maybe he was trying to contact Al Qaeda, maybe he proselytizing because he hoped that these things would get him booted from the Army. Remember Klinger from MASH, and the desperate measures he took trying to get himself booted? The intelligence agencies have no way to determine the motivations behind an individual's behavior, they simpy look for patterns, and then apply rational analysis to those patterns. Hasan's behavior was irrational, Hasan's actions don't make any sense, they were unreasonable.

ummm they had the 911 hijackers on radar too

Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,777,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't look at poltical correctness as righting a wrong. To me, there is no victim that is being protected. Society just doesn't have the courage to call it like it is, and instead, have resorted to coddling and comforting those whose feelings are fragile. This attitude will doom this country.

correct instead we should hate everyone not exactly like us........right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies