Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Allow Muslims in US Army?
Yes 117 58.79%
No 72 36.18%
Unsure 10 5.03%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:26 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,324,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A Japanese American unit fought with awesome bravery and ferocity against the Nazis in Italy during WW2. Great Americans and great soldiers.
Exactly..There is a book that details the service and heroism of these men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 AM

3,823 posts, read 5,383,229 times
And I again reiterate that our military does itself a disservice by NOT putting US Muslims front and centre in the fight. By that I do not mean to put them out there as cannon fodder, but rather to meet the locals and show them that the USA does treat members of their religion with fairness and justice. If a USA soldier comes along and joins the locals in their mosque for prayer, that might make them take notice that the USA is not the Great Satan that Osama claims.

I know that it is probably a different topic than the OP, but Muslims in the military COULD actually help the process in Afghanistan if our military were more aware of the issues and open to something other than the usual military strategy.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,324,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
That is an absurd suggestion IMHO.

Had the shooter been any other religion no one would even be mentioning it...people are just using this very unfortunate incident to justify their own long standing prejudice against Muslims.

Had he been gay rather than Muslim then people would be up in arms over THAT issue.

If he hadn't already happened to fall into an already unpopular minority group he would be labeled as a nutcase and he alone would be held accountable for his actions.

This was the very unfortunate act of ONE individual.

Its a shame so many people are so biased and ignorant that they CHOOSE to see only what they WANT to see rather than coming to a rational conclusion.

JMHO
Very well said

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
We cetainly need to apy mopre attention to people while they serve and their motives for serving. It become more evdioent that there were signs that where ignore probably because of politcal correctness that this guy was goign off the deepend .Afterall he was trying to get out of serving after the advanatges of getting his doctor license paid for.he had problems reortedly with patient raltions and he had reported colleges reporting his anti war sattements aginst US policy. IIf have to ander if he was not a muslim if action would not have been taken in thsi polically corrsct society we live in and many epole still alive and uninjuioed by thsi mass murderer;which is what he is.How can such a unstable person not be noticed by his very profession that worked with him everyday.Weer compalians ignored?Alot of question on thios one.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:49 AM

18,005 posts, read 15,692,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
And I again reiterate that our military does itself a disservice by NOT putting US Muslims front and centre in the fight. By that I do not mean to put them out there as cannon fodder, but rather to meet the locals and show them that the USA does treat members of their religion with fairness and justice. If a USA soldier comes along and joins the locals in their mosque for prayer, that might make them take notice that the USA is not the Great Satan that Osama claims.

I know that it is probably a different topic than the OP, but Muslims in the military COULD actually help the process in Afghanistan if our military were more aware of the issues and open to something other than the usual military strategy.
I agree. It's a 'hearts and minds' process that might actually work. They also bring an understanding of the culture and thought process that the average soldier does not have , beyond cursory orientation training. Many also speak the language , fluently, and are invaluable tactical assets on the battlefield and strategic assets in monitoring enemy communications. This is an issue that cannot be decided based on stereotyping and emotional factors. That would be cutting off our nose to spite our face, cliche' though that is.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,478,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

Tim McVeigh
Was Tim Muslim?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM

17,523 posts, read 24,760,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Was Tim Muslim?
Did we ban Christians?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:57 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,478,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Did we ban Christians?
I get it. I thought you were suggesting that Tim worked with Muslims to carry out his bombing. which I believe he did.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:07 AM

3,823 posts, read 5,383,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I agree. It's a 'hearts and minds' process that might actually work. They also bring an understanding of the culture and thought process that the average soldier does not have , beyond cursory orientation training. Many also speak the language , fluently, and are invaluable tactical assets on the battlefield and strategic assets in monitoring enemy communications. This is an issue that cannot be decided based on stereotyping and emotional factors. That would be cutting off our nose to spite our face, cliche' though that is.
Yeah, agreed. Several years ago I read a Wall Street Journal article about an American soldier who was quite successful in Iraq in approaching village and mosque leaders and working with them. He showed great respect to these elders, and they, in turn assisted him with his task of bringing peace to the villages and surrounding area. Unfortunately, this made waves with some of his immediate superiors, who felt threatened by his success, and he was replaced.

I work in a place that is nearly 100% Muslim (I am not). My colleagues do not take direction easily from someone outside their religion, but do respect those that make the effort to understand and respect the authority within their community.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:40 AM

18,005 posts, read 15,692,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yeah, agreed. Several years ago I read a Wall Street Journal article about an American soldier who was quite successful in Iraq in approaching village and mosque leaders and working with them. He showed great respect to these elders, and they, in turn assisted him with his task of bringing peace to the villages and surrounding area. Unfortunately, this made waves with some of his immediate superiors, who felt threatened by his success, and he was replaced.

I work in a place that is nearly 100% Muslim (I am not). My colleagues do not take direction easily from someone outside their religion, but do respect those that make the effort to understand and respect the authority within their community.
It's a little different situation, but related,so I'll tell it. My Father was the Provost in Subic Bay for 4 years. He learned to speak Tagalog fluently, and placed a high value on 'local assets'. He always told me that one has to THINK like those you are dealing with. Not just act like them, or try and use outside methods and expect to gain trust and cooperation from them. He never let on , to any of the Filipinos he worked with that he did speak their language, he always used an interpretor. A ploy that worked.. LMAO, the only time he let on was when we shipped out, and he gave his farewell speech to the Phillipine constabulary in Tagalog. THAT was entertaining. Nevertheless, he respected the culture, and understood the mentality. Disespecting the thought process of a culture, even unintentionally, will alienate the people you are trying to gain the trust of, and further the enemiy's goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies