Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Allow Muslims in US Army?
Yes 117 58.79%
No 72 36.18%
Unsure 10 5.03%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times

Advertisements

An advantage to having muslims in the US military is that at least their whereabouts would be known at all times. And as mentioned, keep them front and center, on the frontlines. What a hard lesson learned. The bigger concern for us all is that the Army has not learned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
First of all, here's a paste from a Wikipedia biography on Tim McVeigh, concerning his religosity:
Throughout his childhood, he and his father were Roman Catholics and often attended daily Mass. In a recorded interview with Time magazine[14] McVeigh professed his belief in "a God", although he said he had "sort of lost touch with" Catholicism and "I never really picked it up, however I do maintain core beliefs."
Secondly...The Muslim religion has NOT delcared was on the U.S. What are you, 12 years-old? It's a small percentage of Muslim Extremeists & terrorists who comprise the Taliban and Al Queda. Ninety-Nine percent of Muslims are peaceful and law-abiding.
Do you think it would be accurate for a Taliban member to claim that "Christianity has started a war against us."? No--it would be inaccurate. Like your statement.
I'm a combat veteran and have been shot at for my country; I love it as much as everyone. And that includes loving our Constitution, which was written so as to allow a law-abiding, U.S. citizen who happens to me a Muslim the right to defend our country.

Regarding McVeigh - A belief only in God does not make one a Christian. You must believe in God and whom He has sent (Jesus Christ). Our relationship w/ Christ defines what a Christian is.

Regarding the war - if there is 99% that's peaceful, they should make their voice heard. So far, about every mosque denounces America and taunts us w/ predictions of doom. I ain't buying it right now.

I appreciate and thank you for your service in defending the country. My dad served for 30 years in the USAF. Under normal conditions, I agree w/ you on Muslims defending the country. But we are not in normal times.

You as a combat vet know that you put ultimate trust in your company/group. If these incidents continue to occur, doubt starts to creep in - is this soldier going to kill me if my back is turned? Maybe they could be moved to a non-combat role...

Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times
ok too many posts to take the time to read them all - so this may have been said.

IMO Muslims are the only religion that I would block from anything that has any control or position in this country. Look at the problems in England with them, look at the statements from Austrailia about them. These people have a method of infiltration. It's a quite mass until a point then they step up. While all the neysayers are sitting around thinking there isn't a problem, the Muslims are infiltrating. It is a common war tactic that is being used in a larger mass than usual.

So to those that think everything is ok, this is over-reaction,etc. YOU are why there are problems in this country - this is America, you want our freedom - that is no problem - but you better do it OUR way not yours. Speak English, Abide by our laws and policies, quit taking advantage of what we have to offer or GET OUT!!! and that DOES include ALL Muslims including that moron in the White House.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:11 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
'we are by & large a Christian counrty, does that mean Christianity is at war with Islam?'

REPLY: We havent been a bonified Christian country in quite some time ; Obama in his inaugural speech made that pretty clear . If anything, Islam is at war with Christianity .

Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have a friend in Virginia who lives not far from that mosque, and he says the congregation is huge. So we're going to implicate several hundred, maybe even a thousand people because they worship in the "wrong" place with a couple of baddies?
I don't know, but would you send your 10 year old son alone on a weekend camping trip with the local Catholic Priest?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:12 AM

142 posts, read 205,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
ok too many posts to take the time to read them all - so this may have been said.

IMO Muslims are the only religion that I would block from anything that has any control or position in this country. Look at the problems in England with them, look at the statements from Austrailia about them. These people have a method of infiltration. It's a quite mass until a point then they step up. While all the neysayers are sitting around thinking there isn't a problem, the Muslims are infiltrating. It is a common war tactic that is being used in a larger mass than usual.

So to those that think everything is ok, this is over-reaction,etc. YOU are why there are problems in this country - this is America, you want our freedom - that is no problem - but you better do it OUR way not yours. Speak English, Abide by our laws and policies, quit taking advantage of what we have to offer or GET OUT!!! and that DOES include ALL Muslims including that moron in the White House.
This is the opinion of the U.S. MAJORITY. It's time for all who believe in racial/muliticultural/religious harmony in the United States, you're fooling yourselves and need to get out now. I may be just the kind of person this person hates, but at least I'm not pretending their side is a small minority of "wingnuts." THEY ARE THE NORM.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Regarding the war - if there is 99% that's peaceful, they should make their voice heard. So far, about every mosque denounces America and taunts us w/ predictions of doom. I ain't buying it right now.
How should they make their voice heard? By banging on your door with pamphlets, like the Christians do? By crashing the town meetings and yelling at the candidates, like the Christians do? What would you say about them then?

How do you know that "about every mosque denounces America and taunts us"? How many mosques have you been inside? Do you understand the sermons?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I don't know, but would you send your 10 year old son alone on a weekend camping trip with the local Catholic Priest?
And, you think there is a guarantee of safety with the Scout Master, his teacher, or your brother since most molestations are committed by close family members.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Thank you for reminding everyone that there are other religions that have their share of bad apples as well.

It doesn't make sense to condem MANY for the acts of a handful individual people within their community. It makes sense to hold each individual accountable for their actions.

Again, far too many people in the U S seem to sit and wait for an excuse to generate more and more hate.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
This is the opinion of the U.S. MAJORITY. It's time for all who believe in racial/muliticultural/religious harmony in the United States, you're fooling yourselves and need to get out now. I may be just the kind of person this person hates, but at least I'm not pretending their side is a small minority of "wingnuts." THEY ARE THE NORM.

Hates? well overstated on that one. Excuse me for not being Politically Correct, however my statement has nothing to do with hate. I suppose you support the idea of illegal immigrants being allowed to slide in items as citizenship and health care?

Those that are fooling themselves are ones that believe that the effort of Politically Correct stances - aka being overly nice, dishonest, and whimpy, achieve a greater good, as well as this harmony you talk about. You should take a look back at history, then compare it to some Psycological findings and you'll note that human beings were not design to have all that harmony. The 'organism' you are looking for is a robot.

We have a lot of problems in this country, and it requires serious effort, a strong backbone, and an ability to take the heat and deal with the hard stuff. Achieving an impossible goal is not on the list. What is on the list is way too long to mention here it could take days, but it all has no political correctness to it. Just hard cold reality.

Call all these people wingnuts if you want, however if you do that you also infer that our military is also part of those wingnuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies