Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont have a clue who Public Citizen is, nor do I really care. The title is WRONG.. Completely false.. And you should know that by just reading the story..
Public Citizen | Welcome

A co-founder of Public Citizen of whom you might know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
WOW, I feel so much better now with the link.. thanks..

Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
I added one.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Ferd, would you like to defend your position to the remains of families who've lost loved ones in accidents caused by tired truck drivers? You can drop em a line here:

Welcome to the Truck Safety Coalition - Parents Against Tired Truckers (P.A.T.T.) - Truck Safety Coalition Survivors Network
I am certainly not suggesting that common sense rules should not apply to trucking. However, this rule change is not some kind of monumental saving of the American public from truckers.

We are talking about 1 hour on the road. 1 hour. NOT stopping truckers from driving 72 hours without so much as a pee pee.

The OP is acting like GWB was trying to kill people by forcing Truckers to drive days without sleep and Obama saved us all.

THAT is my point. This rule change is not going to save lives. It will drive up costs of goods being shipped as time is money.

But it wont do a blessed thing to keep the public safe.

Here is a link to an organization for survivors of lightening strikes.
http://www.lightning-strike.org/DesktopDefault.aspx

Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So why not LIE and PRETEND that the DOT, and the COURTS are Obama

Man you guys want Obama to have all of the credit for actions taken by OTHERS but none of the blame from HIM
Interesting. So many people were ready to give President Obama 'credit' for free cell phones for welfare recipients, a program that started before he was president, meanwhile, the same people refuse to acknowledge something that actually was accomplished by his administration.
I think I am finally starting to understand the rules of this game.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
I hear you.

Big rig drivers apparently are no different than private passenger driven vehicles where fatigue is concerned. Should not both be regulated,...following the topic to its logical conclusion. The stupid GPS idea has been floated already to tax one's use of the highway system/gas taxes since there is less fuel sold and less taxes collected.

The government is not the "all-knowing" entity that some think. Yep,..what we need is MORE regulations......
Using the mandated GPS to track how many miles a day we drive would only be an ancillary benefit to the program, whose man focus would be a government run program to ensure safer roads.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm an American citizen who works around the military.
Want to try your jingoistic bs somewhere else.
If the spirit behind the "jingoistic bs" fits, wear it.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
If they really want to get tired truckers off the road, they would BAN the practice of paying truckers on a "per mile" basis and require that they be paid hourly or a salary. Then the driver would not have to drive 20 hours a day to make a living.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting. So many people were ready to give President Obama 'credit' for free cell phones for welfare recipients, a program that started before he was president, meanwhile, the same people refuse to acknowledge something that actually was accomplished by his administration.
I think I am finally starting to understand the rules of this game.
Speak for yourself because I never gave Obama credit for cell phones.

And pretending that Obama had anything to do with this is just as bad as pretending Obama had something to do with cell phones.. Ironic you dont see your own contradiction..

Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If they really want to get tired truckers off the road, they would BAN the practice of paying truckers on a "per mile" basis and require that they be paid hourly or a salary. Then the driver would not have to drive 20 hours a day to make a living.
Thats another one of those "government" things which reinburse based upon mileage. When in doubt about stupid things like "pay methods" look to the government first to figure out why its the way it is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies