Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,651,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
A true patriot is not one who says "America, love it or leave it" but one who loves this great country so much that not only does he/she unabashedly praise and support it when he/she feels it's on the right track, but also constructively criticizes it when he/she feels it's on the wrong track so that we can continue to be the best society we can be.

Too bad that's not what is happening here.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:47 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The person who was "elected" is not the person they thought he was, as is evidenced by his tanking approval numbers.

A slim majority, 53%, elected him.

And 9 1/2 million votes, that's enough of a majority for me, the minority can resume their sour grape whine making

Old 09-24-2009, 11:15 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,223,501 times
Quote:
I think you need a few lessons in American history, and what has made America great, and why we are the people we are. Your beliefs have obviously been tainted by the propaganda you have no doubt been fed in the public school system all your life.

They do. I don't see people leaving. I see massive immigration. Legal and illegal.
I think you are confusing yourself on how the world works. Yes, america was once a great land for many to come to. America was the first democracy in the modern age, it was also based on separating religion from government, which allowed all people to practice whatever religion they wished. In that world, the United States was definitely the greatest land in the world. It was the land of opportunity, in a world run by monarchs and oppression. But a lot has changed since then.

When it comes to Immigration, who do you think is coming here? It used to be the Europeans. They don't come here anymore. The only people coming here these days, are people from second and third world countries in our hemisphere, and a few parts of east Asia. Europe on the other hand is getting taken over by middle-easterners and Africans(we should feel lucky).

This country is still great, but as we have been sitting still, other countries in the world are constantly making themselves better and better.

Quote:
More like ideological. Democrats, for the most, no longer believe in Capitalism. They think success should be punished, and they throw stumbling blocks in the way of success. They are trying to bring everyone down to the lowest level. They call it by names like "social justice", and "economic democracy" (which basically means taking from those who earn, and redistributing the plunder to those who didn't earn it).

Republicans, for the most, still believe in American exceptionalism (Democrats reject it), and in our capitalist system, which has given us the highest standard of living in the history of man, and made us (until Obama) the richest nation on earth.
Democrats don't think people should be punished for being successful. But where do you think the rich get their money? If I was to win the lottery tomorrow and get 200 million. People would say "hey invest it". Many investments look to make about 5-10% a year, with inflation at around 2%. You could easily live off the interest right? Where do you think the interest comes from? When it really comes down to it, rich people are rich because someone else isn't. There are plenty of people out there who work more than 40 hours a week, in things like labor jobs, that are struggling to pay their bills. Imagine if those people had to pay for their own kids to go to school, or imagine if they had to pay an "equal share" for our huge military. So yes, the people who can afford to "pay more", are required to pay more. The same goes for Europe, the wealthy there pay a lot more than our wealthy pay here, but there are still PLENTY of wealthy people there. After all it is the home of Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lotus, etc.

And we do NOT have the highest standard of living in the world, though we are definitely pretty close to the top.

Quote:
Oh, really? So, government run health care is "a change for the better", wiping out the best health care system the world has ever known, and handing it over to a bunch of bureaucrats, who have no clue about your needs, and none of whom are even doctors and surgeons themselves?
As someone said, the health care here is only good if you can afford it. For the working poor, the health care system here is practically non-existent. And the majority of doctors support a public option.

Quote:
Racism? Where? I think there is very little racism in this country anymore. Give us an example of where you see racism in this country.
While racism has dropped precipitously over the years, it is still FAR more prevalent here than in Europe. It wasn't that long ago that segregation ended. And you have plenty of southerners still running around with the confederate flag. So we still have a LONG ways to go.

Quote:
Ever heard the term, "Peace through Strength". It is our military that keeps the free world free, and ourselves. It is a mistake to think that we do not need that "presence". It keeps our enemies at bay. Or are you one of those that think we have no enemies?
I think this country's failure is the feeling that, we need to do it all by ourselves. The largest protests in history was against the Iraq War. The largest one was in Rome, and was about 3 million people(dwarfing the silly 9/12 tea party protest). We have consistently failed at trying to work with other countries. Our policy is "its our way or the highway", and instead of being this purveyor of freedom, we are seen as this big bully trying to force our will on the world.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:28 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,340,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
When you are praised by these people;

The Associated Press: Fidel Castro praises Obama on climate change
Qadhafi: Obama should be president forever - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Something is seriously wrong.

When you attack our allies and your own nation, that is more than just wrong, it is criminal.
precisely. That's why the man should be impeached. He is "giving aid and comfort" to the enemy by his words and actions. Last time I checked, that is treason.

If he cannot be impeached, he must be put in check. This is why I said originally in my opening post (but it was "mod cut", so I'll try to rephrase) that he must be rendered powerless, ineffective (my way of putting it originally was far more colorful, and I think it better described what must be done, figuratively speaking). We do this by making massive changes in the Congress (House and Senate). Many of them are as bad as Obama in terms of their ideology. "Progressives" must be weeded out. Right thinking people who love freedom and liberty, and love America must be elected. We must find real "statesmen" once again.

Americans must be much more vigilant in the future. Our system is way too close to being overthrown by these radicals who's aim it is to "fundamentally change America" (Obama's words). It may already be too late. Who knows what these people are capable of? Obama talks of a "civilian security force" that is "as well funded" as the military! Scary stuff indeed.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,340,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Tanking approvals?? His approvals have ranged from 52-55% for the last month and a half. He currently has a net approval a little more than double his 08 margin of victory. That 53% of the vote he got was more than Bush did either time.
LOL!!! Who's poll are you looking at! He has been below 50% for the last few weeks! Why do you think they are concerned?

Even if you were right, that still represents a 10 point drop since spring! His numbers are falling faster than any president in recent history!

Old 09-24-2009, 01:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,080,867 times
Quote:
Obama's UN speech was nothing short of disgusting. He demeaned America, and said we were no better than any other nation of the world.

This is not a man who loves his country. For this reason alone, he should not be president. He is an enemy of America, and should be treated as such. He should be impeached. Immediately.

Obama loves the dictators of the world. They are his friends.

He hates Israel. He has seriously undermined our relationships with our allies, and has weakened our defenses. This is purposeful. Either that, or the man is really stupid, which I do not believe.

We must seriously consider where we go from here. We cannot have this man in power until 2012. [MOD CUT]

If you don't like it. Move to another country and get out of America!

That's what the Bush supporters used to say to anyone who questioned Bush's decisions. The same logic must apply here.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,725,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
If you don't like it. Move to another country and get out of America!

That's what the Bush supporters used to say to anyone who questioned Bush's decisions. The same logic must apply here.
I thought that they called it "treason"? Or "unAmerican"?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,080,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I thought that they called it "treason"? Or "unAmerican"?
That's true. I was called treasonous and unAmerican many times for not supporting the war and not liking Bush.

So if you don't like Obama. You are treasonous and unAmerican. True patriots ALWAYS support the president

Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post

What did you expect?
He sat in a church that demonstrably preached anti-semitism for over twenty years.
Especially as a Jew who supports Barack Obama, I am so sick of this lie. The implied allegation that Barack Obama is an anti-Semite, or that he tolerates it, is outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former California Congressman Mel Levine

As a state legislator, a Congressman, and a private citizen, I have been politically active in Jewish causes, including pro-Israel causes, for over forty years, and have observed many presidential candidates. But Barack Obama is the first to so thoroughly capture the imagination of Jewish Americans. . . Obama's vision of unity makes him a natural ally to the Jewish community. Likewise, he has been a strong ally to Israel. . . In his speeches and public statements, his legislation and his voting record, he has proven himself to be a stalwart friend of Israel, committed to helping Israel in its search for peace with its neighbors, while standing strong with Israel against those who do not share this vision.

Why Jews support Obama | Elections | Jewish Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama

We have scorned our gay brothers and sisters instead of embracing them. The scourge of anti-Semitism has, at times, revealed itself in our community. . . Every day, our politics fuels and exploits this kind of division across all races and regions; across gender and party. . . So let us say that on this day of all days, each of us carries with us the task of changing our hearts and minds. . .

Barack Obama’s Speech at Ebenezer Baptist Church on Martin Luther King Day - California Progress Report (http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2008/01/barack_obamas_s.html - broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama

I decry racism and anti-Semitism in every form and strongly condemn the anti-Semitic statements made by Minister Farrakhan." I assume that Trumpet Magazine made its own decision to honor Farrakhan based on his efforts to rehabilitate ex-offenders, but it is not a decision with which I agree.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-t...l?hpid=topnews
Quote:
Barack Obama’s friendship with Israel is clear and unwavering despite the vicious and fallacious emails circulating the internet. In his own words, he is committed to Israel as a Jewish state, "I start with the premise that Israel is a stalwart ally of ours and their security cannot be compromised… the Palestinians would have to reinterpret the notion of right of return in a way that would preserve Israel as a Jewish state.”

. . .

Lester Crown, a foremost Jewish leader in Chicago, who for many years has known Barack Obama and his close relationship with the Jewish community, is confident that Barack Obama will continue his loyal friendship with Israel in the White House. A recent New York Sun editorial emphasizes that “anyone who questions Barack Obama on Israel policy has not checked their facts” (Jan. 9, 2008).

. . .

Sincerely,

The Honorable Doug Gansler
The Honorable Brian Frosh
The Honorable Jamie Raskin
The Honorable Brian Feldman
The Honorable Kirill Reznik
The Honorable William Bronrott
The Honorable Roger Berliner
The Honorable Marc Elrich

[etc., etc., etc.]

Maryland Politics Watch: Jewish Support Letter for Barack Obama

Old 09-24-2009, 02:21 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:
precisely. That's why the man should be impeached. He is "giving aid and comfort" to the enemy by his words and actions. Last time I checked, that is treason.
So, were you people up in arms for impeachment when Reagan was selling weapons to an enemy, THAT is TREASON, NOT mere words. Or is this just another in a long line of demonstrations of your HYPOCRISY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies