Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times

Advertisements

From what I can see it's one dude asking him to resign. People ask officials to resign over stupid issues each and every day. I don't see a story or a controversy here, just some guy who is pissed off and trying stir the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
When did watching speeches by the President (whomever he is at the time) become mandatory? I have no problem with Obama making a presentation but the Superintendant made a decision. He should not lose his job because of his choice. Regarding his constituency, he must know something about them - enough to get elected.
It depends completely on how he justified it. If he came up with something like "it wouldn't fit in our curriculum" or "we couldn't spare the hour away from instruction" then you know he's probably a lying scumbag, but you really can't prove anything. So he stays.

If he based his decision on requests from parents, then he probably needs to be trained better, but not fired.

If he gave the typical wingnut reasons, then he should be canned for being a stupid idiot.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
He should not step down. If the parents felt that Obama's speech were THAT important, they could/should have taken the day off and watched it with their kids. Or utilized one of many means to record such things and watched it later at their convenience. Or the church whom the Reverend represents could have had it recorded and played later, for example, on a Sunday after church services were concluded.

People are making this too hard.
You are exactly right. If parents want their kids to view something that will not be shown at school, regardless of what it is, watch it as a family and discuss it as a family.

Asking the sup to step down is a waste of time and it should be.

As for the statement about sups being elected. I certainly am not an expert like some people think they are, but I have never lived anywhere that elects their sups. They elect the school board. by the way, I have lived in many cities and towns in my life. I would guess if any are elected it wouldn't be more than maybe 10%.

Nita

Old 09-19-2009, 08:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
If your community is 80% black then you should be aware of the firestorm that an action like this will cause. You should know that the community will take it personally or overreact.
Not a smart move IMO.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
If your community is 80% black then you should be aware of the firestorm that an action like this will cause. You should know that the community will take it personally or overreact.
Not a smart move IMO.
If your community is 80% American then you should be aware of the firestorm that an action like this will cause. You should know that the community will take it personally or overreact.
Not a smart move IMO.

There. Fixed it for you.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
If the story was "School Suprintendant forced to resign" then it would be News. Just because someone wants him to resign is not

Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
I don't think he should have resigned. My kids school did not show the speech either.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
If your community is 80% American then you should be aware of the firestorm that an action like this will cause. You should know that the community will take it personally or overreact.
Not a smart move IMO.

There. Fixed it for you.
You really believe that? Do you think that this is the only school in America that didn't screen this during school hours? If what you say is right, shouldn't we be hearing of the uproar from 80% of the school districts that didn't screen it?

Or at least one other school district!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:50 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Not a smart move IMO.

Why when people vote they are SUPPOSE to vote for the best candidate NOT for skin color. So it should not be ASSumed that the super had to show anything.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:59 AM

757 posts, read 803,296 times
Quote:
When did watching speeches by the President (whomever he is at the time) become mandatory? I have no problem with Obama making a presentation but the Superintendant made a decision. He should not lose his job because of his choice. Regarding his constituency, he must know something about them - enough to get elected.
Maybe his school district should lose federal funds for education since he does not want the POTUS to tell his kids to stay in school and work hard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies