Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,298,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
He messed around on his wife and drank to excess, so I think we can safely say his personal life did not follow Catholic teachings.
And neither do a lot of PRIESTS....unless pedophilia is a Catholic teaching.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The pope is too busy covering up the molestations he championed to keep secret before they promoted him.
Let's repeat that to remind everyone of the "value" of the Pope.

and ...personally, I don't give a tinker's damn what the Dope thinks...

Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,172,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdoc View Post
The Kennedys helped you all have FREEDOM OF RELIGION.

Hello~~
They most certainly did not. The Constitution of the USA did that, Ted Kennedy was largely against the Constitutition.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
and well he should be. Abortion, stem cell, gay marriage.

Pope Benedict quiet in wake of Kennedy's death

Not just in Rome. Here in the US, he is loved and worshiped by the media and the small percentage of left-wing nuts. To everybody else, he was the epitome of privileged liberal elitism - just as the man said, a nobody to most of America.
From a Time link on your link:

"""""The niceties of international diplomacy do not require the Pope to issue a statement on the death of a non-head of state. """"

Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 AM

293 posts, read 574,180 times
...nice little chat going here but I think what some forget is that to some the Pope is JUST A MAN!!!! He cannot deliver a soul to Heaven or Hell....

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 16-6

The truth of the matter is that none of us can comment on a person's salvation in the end. It is my belief that if Kennedy asked for sincere forgivness then God will forgive him...end of story...

"And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. 40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. 42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." Luke 23: 39-43.

...just my two cents.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,173,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
OMG! YOU took that post seriously??!!
Well, everything I've read about the Primate of Italy, as he may also be called (it's OK to giggle, I know I did), is that he was instrumental in trying to keep the molestations out of the public eye. It was odd that he, of all the possible good men out there, would get the nod to be Pope. What has this guy done to demand my respect, or yours? He's appointed by humans, not God. I don't trust the church one bit. It certainly never acts in the best interests of its constituency. Great, now I sound like I'm talking about politicians. Hmm, I guess I am. The church is all about power, power over you. It IS no different.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:17 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,668,473 times
For anyone who did not watch the graveside ceremony for Kennedy, the Pope did, in fact, impart his apostolic blessing upon Ted Kennedy, according to Cardinal McCarrick, who read the letter that was sent on behalf of the Pope to Kennedy.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:20 PM

14,247 posts, read 18,057,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Let's repeat that to remind everyone of the "value" of the Pope.

and ...personally, I don't give a tinker's damn what the Dope thinks...
What he said

Old 08-29-2009, 06:25 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,513,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
sanrene, I was going to say the SAME thing....he should be silent!!!

here's a biting article about just this, from a priest:

Human Life International

He was totally not in line with the teachings of the Church. Sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
He messed around on his wife and drank to excess, so I think we can safely say his personal life did not follow Catholic teachings.
Maybe I missed something but are you talking about the same Catholic Church that ignored numerous kids being molested?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:27 PM

11,448 posts, read 14,560,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
and well he should be. Abortion, stem cell, gay marriage.

Pope Benedict quiet in wake of Kennedy's death

Not just in Rome. Here in the US, he is loved and worshiped by the media and the small percentage of left-wing nuts. To everybody else, he was the epitome of privileged liberal elitism - just as the man said, a nobody to most of America.

There seems to be two main talking points of the right:

1) Attacking silence, or drawing a conclusion from it

2) Projecting into the future and arguing against whatever it is you dream up

Both are empty rhetoric and intellectually bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies