Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Well the gay and married priests are on the extreme end, I'd say. *L*

But all I'm saying is that the relationship between Catholic parishioners and the Catholic Church is often much more nuisanced than non-Catholics can understand. (Annulments, for example. *L*)
What I am saying is that the Vatican does not have control of Catholic leaders who defy Catholic Church doctrine. It is most unusual for the Pope not to issue a statement about the death of a prominent "Catholic" politican like Ted Kennedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
No, what I'm arguing that Kennedy's approach allows others to exercise their free will, which I don't see as compromising his own Catholicism.

(And I disagree with pommymommy. I think adds something to posts. *L*)
I do believe we're sort of arguing the same point. I agree that his style allowed others to excercise their free will, but it is unfortunate that he had to compromise the teachings of his faith to do so. The question (whose answer we will never know) is will God judge him as someone who has done good (his public service for the betterment of the people) or a sinner (Mary Jo Kopechne and countless unborn babies aborted.)

And yes and even a add something to the posts!

Quote:
And I'm not saying it never could happen or hasn't happened, but my point is what I said in post 38 about having things both ways.
UGH! I meant to copy post 38 so I could reread it. It's getting late and I am getting tired. I can't recall it exactly

Quote:
Yes, but it would be particularly egregious, with the publicness of this funeral, to allow a Cardinal to participate in it if what some people are arguing on this thread about Kennedy were in fact true. The hypocrisy of the Church would be all too evident.
On a smaller scale -- there are plenty of fallen Catholics who are given a funeral mass, of course they aren't politically powerful and known around the world like Sen Kennedy.

I am trying to step away from the money aspect....the Diocese of Boston has to do something not only for the Kennedy clan but for the WIC parishioners. There would be some outrage if there wasn't a Cardinal present to see Kennedy off.

Back to money -- unless published and exposed, no one would know what donations were made by the Kennedy's to the Boston Archdiocese. Church donations are down for a number of reasons and the economy is making matters that much worse.

We Catholics see the hypocrisy within our Church, believe me. It is why so many of us have moved away from it and why the Church is supportive of amnesty for undocumented aliens from Latin America. Without them, the RCC will grow smaller especially after the horrific sex scandals.
------------------------------------------------
I bid everyone a good night...it's late here.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:03 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Sorry, but Catholics are not infallible. If he repented and took the Sacrament of Reconciliation for his sins, he would most definitely be within the teachings of the Church.

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Galatians 6:7

Old 08-29-2009, 12:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
And you know this how exactly? His personal life may very well have been in line with the teachings of the Church. Or are you suggesting that he should have been a shill for the Vatican in his position as a U.S. Senator and imposed the teachings of the Catholic Church on all U.S. citizens?
His personal life? In line with teachings of the Church? He was a drunk, he killed a young woman, he cheated on his poor wife, he was with that nephew during that rape.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:06 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Feel better about yourself now?

If it were a Bush brat how would you feel about it?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:06 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
What I am saying is that the Vatican does not have control of Catholic leaders who defy Catholic Church doctrine.
The Vatican could if it wanted to. I read that the fact that it chooses not to, as the interesting facet of this.

Quote:
It is most unusual for the Pope not to issue a statement about the death of a prominent "Catholic" politican like Ted Kennedy.
Possibly, but it's the Last Rites and Catholic burial that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We Catholics see the hypocrisy within our Church, believe me. It is why so many of us have moved away from it and why the Church is supportive of amnesty for undocumented aliens from Latin America. Without them, the RCC will grow smaller especially after the horrific sex scandals.
Exactly.
------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I bid everyone a good night...it's late here.
Night.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Galatians 6:7
Boy, the Christians who love to judge others at their time of death and paint God as unforgiving. I'll never get it. It's like Jesus doesn't even exist for some Christians, which is quite strange.

"For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:13-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
a Bush brat?
Well, I certainly haven't said anything nasty about Laura Bush's accident, so I guess that speaks for itself. Not my place to judge, and I wasn't there.

And I have never defended Kennedy's not reporting the accident right away. That's something he had to live with, and it's between him and God.

Last edited by helenejen; 08-29-2009 at 12:28 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 12:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
If Kennedy received last rites and burial from a Catholic church leader not recognized by the Vatican, the Vatican will not consider it a Catholic ceremony. In the end, God will sort it out.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
If Kennedy received last rites and burial from a Catholic church leader not recognized by the Vatican, the Vatican will not consider it a Catholic ceremony. In the end, God will sort it out.
Are you suggesting that Cardinal O'Malley isn't currently recognized by the Vatican as a cardinal in the Catholic Church?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 AM

243 posts, read 343,308 times
One of the best speeches JFK gave was on the seperation of Church and State. Learn history and keep religion out of politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies