Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I have a criminal case that got national attention and it involved poor white and black students. Jena 6. The press tried to make them out to be the victims and the white student they attacked as the racist. Their actions since the case has proven them to be nothing more than thug criminals.

Yea but it involved a historical element, that is also extremely popular with the American public. You had the elements of race and instead of class you had a historical significance that replaced the class issue.

It involved the South still trying to Oppress blacks. Whether this was the case or not, that is why the national media covered the story.

The anti-bellium south vs a group of rowdy black teens etc

Okay so here's a better definition

1. Race
2. Sex
3. Power
4. Money
5. Historical Significance -As long as stereotypical

Jena 6 Reminded people of an episode of, "The Heat in the Night," (or MattLock lol) that's why it was so popular, but it certainly was not as popular as those other cases in which Rich Celebrities or Rich individuals in general are accused of crimes.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:40 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,613,878 times
Quote:
Really, did it or did it not get national attention based upon race?
Seems like this was originally of particular concern to white supremacists who were circulating false information about the case, according to the 2007 CNN interview:

Christian-Newsom murders on CNN | Clipmarks (http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/D2FD85C2-C742-48BA-A228-E0815B444B76/ - broken link)

Tenn. rape-murder trial starts - TODAY

Tenn. rape-murder trial starts - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,756 times
Quote:
I don't see how this plays into your argument. A crime perpetrated by black kids got elevated to national media(which goes against your argument that the media doesn't report crimes by blacks) over objections to charging the perps with attempted murder for what was an assault. That's the crux of the issue and everything else is really just fluff to maintain interest.

Perhaps I would understand this more thoroughly if even knew what your premise is at all?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,942,488 times
The Central Park Jogger case indeed made the news. It was about as huge as a thing gets. National? I wouldn't know. I don't think CNN existed then. To attempt to make the case, however, that black/white crime isn't sensationalized is to prove that you have way too much time on your hands. The numbers, however, don't lie. A black American is 545 times more likely to be imprisoned sometime in his/her life than a white American. Not all those arrests/imprisonments make the national news. For the people involved and their families that is just a small blessing.

H

Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,552,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Yea but it involved a historical element, that is also extremely popular with the American public. You had the elements of race and instead of class you had a historical significance that replaced the class issue.

It involved the South still trying to Oppress blacks. Whether this was the case or not, that is why the national media covered the story.

The anti-bellium south vs a group of rowdy black teens etc

Okay so here's a better definition

1. Race
2. Sex
3. Power
4. Money
5. Historical Significance -As long as stereotypical

Jena 6 Reminded people of an episode of, "The Heat in the Night," that's why it was so popular, but it certainly was not as popular as those other cases in which Rich Celebrities or Rich individuals in general are accused of crimes.
It was not the case, that was how the press presented the case. In a way, you could say they created a story for ratings by leaving out some information to turn the story to fit their personal view of the south.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,543,733 times
Quote:
Still linking one commentary article from CNN? Is that the only CNN article you can find on this case? Very telling isn't it.

Ok i'll play along, where is the FOX coverage on this story?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,745 times
Quote:
It was not the case, that was how the press presented the case. In a way, you could say they created a story for ratings by leaving out some information to turn the story to fit their personal view of the south.
Or to present the personal view of those watching the television. I'm not going to watch anything that disagrees with my view of how i see the world. I'm simple going to change the channel to something that does. Whether or not that is actually what happened or not

I remember fox presented the story completely differently, so it would prove my point. These are businesses they are here for your entertainment and you do not gain viewers by not supporting their already pre-existing stereotypes.

CNBC does a lot of drug shows, that are barely watched by the general public, because they show drug dealers, to be white, living in rural areas, that is not something im interested in watching, it doesn't support my belief, that all drug dealers are Black or Hispanic from the inner city, so i will not watch this sort of show. I'm not interested in watching news about southerners unless it reflects the movie deliverance and I'm not interested in seeing stories about whites unless they are all rich and live in mansions. The news media does not make the rules the viewers do, they are merely playing exactly what you want to see. If they did not you wouldn't watch the tube. WAKE UP DUDE YOU"RE WILLINGLY ALLOWING THEM TO BRAINWASH YOU!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,543,733 times
Quote:

Jena 6 recieved National attention and ONLY received National attention because of the public and celebrities outrage and protest. Had that not happend, we would NEVER had heard about Jena 6. Why don't you blame those citizens that stood around and let the media pass them by. Blame those who did not let their voices be heard. You can not blame the media because they were given a pass to stay silent instead of reporting on this awful crime.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:36 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,481,937 times
Quote:
And your post proved my point. If whites were the victims and blacks were the criminals then the national press virtually ignores the story. Duke Lacrosse rape case got wall to wall national coverage right up until the Lacrosse team were proven to be innocent the the rape victim proven to be a liar and then the press put the story away without one single apology to the Lacrosse team for the press painting them as racist rapist.
The central park jogger is still a national story..So was the runaway bride(falsely claimed blacks abducted her), the pregnanat lady in Boston(husband claimed black man killed her when he did) and the lady in Florida that claimed black men in a cadillac harmed her but she lied..You really can't be serious with this one.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,550,383 times
The problem with the OP's argument is that the issue of crimes not being widely reported based on race goes more ways than just White victim/Black suspect.

In LA, there is a known serial killer who has been operating for over 2 decades targeting Black women FOXNews.com - Los Angeles Police Hunt Serial Killer Believed Responsible for 11 Murders, Offer New $500G Reward - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News and Los Angeles News - Serial Killer "Grim Sleeper" Evades the Net - page 1

Yet one blonde bikini model (ie stripper) is murdered and it gets national coverage Jasmine Fiore - Topics - NY Daily News

This also applies to all of the attention that was given to the Natalie Holloway case when a Black woman was also missing during the same time; a victim of the Missing White Woman syndrome no doubt. Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies